Erling Haaland

Status
Not open for further replies.
We won't have to bankrupt ourselves.

Most sources put Haaland's Dortmund salary at 150k per week. It's safe to assume he's going to want that doubling at the very least when he moves clubs; he'll feel he's earned that and the reality is, he has. That would be 300k per week; Aubameyang currently takes home 350k weekly. Point being he's better than most of the premier league's top earners; if we were to put him on parity with Kev or even close to that outlay, it'd be worth it. I don't believe the reports of him wanting close to a million a week; blatantly, that's beyond the realms of possibility for any club. If I had to guess, I reckon he'll be on 350-400k at his next club. Our club should have the means of signing him: we were willing to part with circa 100m for Kane; in all likelihood we'll sell a couple of big names next summer to supplement that, as well as the extra revenues, potential prize money from the current season.

There is a caveat for his potential suitors. He has one more season at Dortmund to prove the numbers he's delivered over the last two years aren't a fluke. And be honest, do you think the goals are going to dry up? The likelihood is they won't, and come next summer he'll be firmly established as the best CF in the world. And the best CF is going to want the highest salary; that's basic supply and demand.

I feel City are at an interesting phase in their development post-takeover. On the field and off, I feel our growth has plateaued. On the field, we're consistently winning leagues and cups but still covet Big Ears. Off the field, we're now established as a big club but to become a veritable superpower we're this type of signing away from breaking that plateau; the commercial value of a signing like this is as powerful as the unfathomable productivity we'd be treated to week in, week out.

If he elects to go elsewhere, then that's out of our control. But let's go for the jugular and at least offer what the rest do.

Time to be aggressive!
I’m all for having a good go but offering what the best of the rest do? What if that figure is stupid money? At the end of the day we know what we can afford and it’s not relevant what other clubs think they can afford. We are run as a business and if other clubs want to exceed what we can afford that’s their funeral (unless they genuinely can afford the deal)

Football clubs have lost a fortune recently, now isn’t the time to go big and end up like Barca just to have Haaland. I would be happy, once our limit was exceeded, to push the price up and then watch United do a “Ronaldo”

The next time Stephan appears on a 93.20 podcast it’s worth a listen to understand City’s finances. They can’t and won’t do a stupid deal just for PR purposes not that we would get much good PR anyway! Shiny toys are not our thing the player has to fit in on and off the field if possible and we are still learning from our fewer and fewer mistakes.

As a bear minimum I can’t see City being happy with a buyout clause written into his City contract.

There is a big sign at the City training complex that says “not a team of Superstars”

Time to be effective and realistic. Haaland is a means to an end and he has a worth to us that is also unique to us.

Remember it’s not just Aguero that will still need replacing in a year but Mendy and Fernandinho too…that’s a lot of dosh!

Last edited:
I'd love to see Haaland at City if for nothing else than his success being a beautiful payback to the super untalented Media man Mr. Roy Keane.
On the other hand, I can't help hoping that this becomes the case that broke the 'super agents'.
Haaland ending up with no bids realistic enough to pay Raiola's leach money and another year at Dortmund would be a massive step in the right direction.

I respect players who see football as a way to make as much money as they can, football careers are short and retirements are long, and Erling knows this more than most, but I also respect players more who balance that drive to earn with a drive to win. I don't think a signing should come in and earn more than Kev does. He's won us games and trophies, earns a lot for it, but not as much as he might elsewhere, but recognizes our club makes him a better player with the best facilities in the world. As things stand, United don't offer that, and if they want to pay silly money then let them. That's where I stand anyway. Can understand the desire from the other side to spend whatever it takes.

If it’s a bidding war against them lot we may have a problem. They don’t seem to have any issues with paying ridiculous salaries or agent’s fees. They have a much better relationship with Raiola, though that may change depending on Pogba’s future.

We’ve seen them buy players they barely need like Sanchez, Fred & Ronaldo almost solely to get one up on us, however Haaland would improve any side he joins.

If we are at the table for Haaland, it makes sense for his people to keep United’s name in the equation. We don’t know whether they will be interested because of the huge wages they’ve given Ronaldo.

So if we do go for him, expect united hijack headlines at every point. We really won’t know how true they are until Haaland signs for either side.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.