The Keeper - Trautmann film Sunday 5th Sept on BBC

Watched it on iPlayer last night and found it very enjoyable. Clearly some artistic licence which some find irritating, but also some really nice touches - Blue Moon playing as Bert and family walk through the dunes, the connection with Rabbi who wrote to the MEN and the nice addition of original footage

Don't normally encroach into this forum...
I watched The Keeper yesterday. Obviously had heard about the Cup Final incident and the fact he was a POW but didnt really know much else.
I thought it was a wonderful film irrespective of any loyalties. A real show of differences in society and people and how we should not take judge on first impressions. You can fully appreciate the local view of a "german" at that time and as much as i dislike FIFA and all the "football being a global family". It was nice to see football bringing people together.
Loved the idea of a footballer going on holiday in a caravan.
Obvioulsy a great human being and a great film

Agree entirely, I’m not normally one for reading books on War/Conflict but this was jaw dropping … so good in fact I promptly read it again.

Just about to watch the film now, it’s bound to be decent and fairly accurate if Gary James has been involved in it.
Err… I tried to point out all the errors and inconsistencies but they decided what story they’d tell so I wouldn’t take this film (or any dramatisation of a life) as being factually correct I’m afraid. It’s a good film and if it gets people interested in Bert’s story then it‘s done it’s job. Personally I’d read Trautmann by Alan Rowland for something closer to the facts. Anything after that relies on Trautmann’s own recollections which, how can I put this, altered as he got older.

The fans ripping the goalposts out so no one ever stood between them again. Wow.
sadly that bit is just not true. It’s something I tried over and over again to get them to change. There are many remarkable aspects to his life and his football time at City that were true that could’ve been used instead But they insisted on including this untrue bit.

Don't normally encroach into this forum...
I watched The Keeper yesterday. Obviously had heard about the Cup Final incident and the fact he was a POW but didnt really know much else.
I thought it was a wonderful film irrespective of any loyalties. A real show of differences in society and people and how we should not take judge on first impressions. You can fully appreciate the local view of a "german" at that time and as much as i dislike FIFA and all the "football being a global family". It was nice to see football bringing people together.
Loved the idea of a footballer going on holiday in a caravan.
Obvioulsy a great human being and a great film

As a nipper in the late 50s, early 60s,, my family had a small caravan on Conway Morfa. The sort made for four people, that could accommodate eight comfortably if auntie and uncle popped over with my cousins for a night.

I digress... Around that time, while not common, you did spot the occasional actor, comedian, sportsman and their families holidaying on the Morfa in the shop or strolling down the beach.

I recall my dad spotting a few Everton players of the time, all of whom were staying in adjacent caravans. As a nipper, I wouldn't have known them from Adam.

I'm sure we'd have all known about it if my mam or dad had seen Bert... They'd have had him and his wife over for their tea.

Err… I tried to point out all the errors and inconsistencies but they decided what story they’d tell so I wouldn’t take this film (or any dramatisation of a life) as being factually correct I’m afraid. It’s a good film and if it gets people interested in Bert’s story then it‘s done it’s job. Personally I’d read Trautmann by Alan Rowland for something closer to the facts. Anything after that relies on Trautmann’s own recollections which, how can I put this, altered as he got older.
My very first Football Hero and still is, he performed heroics to keep our team competitive. Correct me if I am wrong but did he once get sent off at Maine Road?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.