The Keeper - Trautmann film Sunday 5th Sept on BBC

Poetic license. The keeping of Jock as the manager throughout would have helped the narrative.

just watched it. Excellent. A good story even with blue tinted specs on.

I wonder if the portrayed Liverpool away bus argy-bargy was noticed by anyone else?
Presumably that’s not fictional, @Gary James , they are one of the ‘istree clubs after all, and violent tradition means a lot to them.
In the original script it was Newcastle and I pointed out that their fans didn’t do that. I explained that some of the London teams did (from memory my research highlighted an incident at Spurs) and that seemed to be the way it was going. About a week after that the Anfield bus incident happened. When I went to the first preview screening in London for those involved it was suddenly Liverpool. It may have had something to do with the CL game or because Solitude (the ground used) was red. It was a late addition though and is to illustrate the reaction but doesn’t naturally mean that club or ground activity occurred.

Personally I tried to persuade them to create scenes around the important Fulham away game which saw that type of activity pre-match but a complete transformation in Fulham fans reactions during the game.

I flagged the Thomson stuff. The producer didn’t have a clue and the writers were German and based everything on what Bert told them. I kicked off about this quite a bit saying that Thomson was a bit part player in the story and should be replaced by McDowall. I was told ‘but we’ve picked the actor and he’s Scottish!’ I said ‘no problem, McDowall was Scottish too!’

They didn’t want to introduce other characters as they said audiences would struggle and so one manager was important. I lost that argument and kept moaning, going on about how you wouldn’t get Busby wrong.

In the end the bottom line to me was that I had to highlight everything to them and try and persuade them to make the changes BUT they had to make a film they believed would be popular to a wider audience. I consoled myself by saying that if the film could encourage people to find out more about Bert and City then it’s done it’s job. Ultimately, they had to satisfy their funders (hence why it was filmed in Ireland and Germany) and make something that was popular. As with all biopics much of it is not factually correct. Had I written the script it would have been but perhaps would never have been made. We‘d have had 30 minutes of McDowall telling Bert how the Revie Plan was going to work and Ken Barnes winding up Bert about his VW Beetle!
Thanks for all the comments, Gary, illuminating stuff from you (and others on here who reacted to seeing the film)

I saw 'The Keeper' at our local flea pit originally and, enjoyable as it was, I had a rant driving home when the distaff side said she'd not realised the traumas Bert had suffered throughout his war years and in trying to win over the British public.

I pointed out the various flaws in the story and depiction (based on my own recollections of growing up in the 50s/60s and things I learned from my Old Man and uncles who were nodding acquaintances with Bert being City fans who used to frequent Andy Black's pub near the airport which was one of Bert's watering holes), not least the CGI misrepresentations of Wembley stadium (the team benches etc!) and 'no Les McDowell' as you say.

To which the wife, who had enjoyed the film as a sad love story, replied witheringly but fairly, 'You really would make a great entertainer at children's parties, wouldn't you..?'

Watching it again last night on the box I got the same feeling that, for all the good intentions of the piece, there is a great film to be made about the life story of Bert Trautmann. Sadly, this isn't it, enjoyable as it is.

What I mean is that Bert Trautmann was not just a big man with a huge sporting talent. Those who weren't around at the time to see him play can probably never know just how great and important his impact on the wider British society was at the time. Barely 10 years after the most damaging conflict in world history, this man not only gained the respect of the society his own nation had been in a death struggle with, he also became a beloved member of that society. And he helped to change attitudes, in turn encouraging reconciliation between the countries that had been at war with each other.

In this modern day and age of 'celebrity' the so-called 'slebs' filling our newspapers and online feeds with their vacuous activities are but nothing compared to the positive impact that Bert had on post-war Britain.

As someone on here suggested earlier, it would be brilliant if the club were to name a stand after Bert.. he was THAT important to City and Britain.

Last edited:
I definitely pointed this out so please don’t assume I didn’t. Personally I’m more irritated by the fact the war stuff is completely fabricated.
Personally I would have thought the true story of his capture escape and re capture might have made a better start to the film. When we played Villarreal away after the game i was lucky enough to spot him sat alone on a bench outside the ground and got a 5 minute chat to him as nobody had recognised him. I'd never seen him play but my Dad did and had him down as just behind Swift in the ranking of City keepers.That despite spending 18 month's of his life trying to kill as many his countrymen as he could.

Personally I would have thought the true story of his capture escape and re capture might have made a better start to the film. When we played Villarreal away after the game i was lucky enough to spot him sat alone on a bench outside the ground and got a 5 minute chat to him as nobody had recognised him. I'd never seen him play but my Dad did and had him down as just behind Swift in the ranking of City keepers.That despite spending 18 month's of his life trying to kill as many his countrymen as he could.
I totally agree. His true war story is significantly better (and harrowing too!) than what the German writers decided to create.

he was THAT important to City and Britain.
I totally agree. Personally I’d have loved to script it but the German guys who did had their own views of what story they wanted to tell. For years actor Warren Clarke wanted to get funding for a film that would’ve contained all the elements us City fans would’ve wanted but, sadly, he couldn’t get the funding and so the film was never made.

I totally agree. Personally I’d have loved to script it but the German guys who did had their own views of what story they wanted to tell. For years actor Warren Clarke wanted to get funding for a film that would’ve contained all the elements us City fans would’ve wanted but, sadly, he couldn’t get the funding and so the film was never made.
Yeah I can remember interviews with Warren Clarke back in the late 80s/early 90s and he always mentioned the Trautmann film as his labour of love

I definitely pointed this out so please don’t assume I didn’t. Personally I’m more irritated by the fact the war stuff is completely fabricated.
Thanks Gary, Please don't take my comment as a criticism (not intended) more like a clumsy observation...

When did Manchester City start to become known as Man City?
The shortened version of our clubs name was used alot in last night's film.
I could understand during the 1956 FA Cup Final that we were referred to as Manchester,because the other
team was also called City(Birmingham).
But as a child supporting City from 1966 onwards,I don't recall us being known as Man City.
It was always either Manchester City(particularly in print or on TV) or more commonly just City.
Even other teams fans called us City fans,and definitely not Man City fans.
Been singing "oh Man City the only football team to come from Manchester" since I started going in the early 70's

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.