Best XI post 2008 takeover

Which seasons were those? When did Dani Alves retire?

Walker is better than Zabaleta by a country mile in all aspects bar crossing, which he hardly ever does and head wounds.
Hmmm. Not true. Zaba was a better tackler, better at reading the game. Better at supporting his winger and better at arriving late into the opposites box to help.

Kyle's athleticism makes up for a lot of the areas in which Zaba was better. Overall I'd give an edge to Kyle. Especially on a Pep team with so many great ball possessing players. But don't sell Zabba short, that man was a footballer's footballer.

Ederson; Walker Kompany Stones Clichy; Fernandinho KDB David Silva; Sterling Aguero Tevez

Hmmm. Not true. Zaba was a better tackler, better at reading the game. Better at supporting his winger and better at arriving late into the opposites box to help.

Kyle's athleticism makes up for a lot of the areas in which Zaba was better. Overall I'd give an edge to Kyle. Especially on a Pep team with so many great ball possessing players. But don't sell Zabba short, that man was a footballer's footballer.
Being a better tackler means he didn’t read the game as well though, surely?

You only tackle when you haven’t read the interception possibility well enough.

The rest is simply down to how we attack now. Walker isn’t allowed so high up very often.

I loved Zabaleta, but if prime PZ and prime KW we’re here, KW would be the first pick for Pep, every time.

Being a better tackler means he didn’t read the game as well though, surely?

You only tackle when you haven’t read the interception possibility well enough.
Not true. When a winger gets the ball and attacks a Fullback. They are both out on an island. There is no reading to be done, either he can dribble you or he can't. By and large, Zaba was a fantastic 1 v 1 defender despite not being particularly fast. Kyle is good too but he often needed his make-up speed to catch-up after being beat. Zaba didn't have that luxury.

The rest is simply down to how we attack now. Walker isn’t allowed so high up very often.

I loved Zabaleta, but if prime PZ and prime KW we’re here, KW would be the first pick for Pep, every time.
While Walker is better now, for a good portion of his time here, attacks used to die anytime it went to him. As he'd slow down possession looking for the perfect pass as he pointed and girated then turn around and pass to a CB.

Zaba was far more fluid. A natural footballer. Not as skilled as say Zinchencko but he had a similar brain for progressive football that kept the game going fluidly.

because for three seasons he was the best right-back in the world, he could do it all, as good as Walker is, he can not cross a ball for shit and is prone to some horrendous lapses in concentration.

Zab's started slowly, prone to fouls in dangerous areas but he improved as the team improved around him peaking for 3 seasons of excellence before steadily declining and ending up at West Ham for his final hurrah.

I would take that Zabba over Walker all day long.

He was very good but I certainly would not go as far as 'best right-back in the world'. For a start, he was clearly behind Dani Alves. Not even close. Then you have Philip Lahm (admittedly moved from RB to LB and back to RB).

In both attack and defence, Walker brings more to the team with his pace. Some of us do not appreciate how important he is to the team. He can be involved in an attack and in just a few seconds save us at the other end. He pretty much locks down his wing every game, even against world class opposition. Yes, he has lapses but all players do. I am convinced if Zabaleta played in this team we would be weaker.

I am not trying to convince you, just simply justifying my point of view.

Not true. When a winger gets the ball and attacks a Fullback. They are both out on an island. There is no reading to be done, either he can dribble you or he can't. By and large, Zaba was a fantastic 1 v 1 defender despite not being particularly fast. Kyle is good too but he often needs his make up speed to catch after being beat. Zaba didn't have that luxury.
Hmm, there does. Look how Fernandinho got done against Vinicius Jnr at the Etihad.

Sometimes wingers dribble past the defender, other times they don’t.

Its also fair to say that Zabaleta got far more cards for tactical fouls having been beaten with no chance of recovery.

Walker’s pace allows him two bites of the cherry, hence he can commit a bit more and know his speed can get him out of trouble too if needs be.

He was very good but I certainly would not go as far as 'best right-back in the world'. For a start, he was clearly behind Dani Alves. Not even close. Then you have Philip Lahm (admittedly moved from RB to LB and back to RB).

In both attack and defence, Walker brings more to the team with his pace. Some of us do not appreciate how important he is to the team. He can be involved in an attack and in just a few seconds save us at the other end. He pretty much locks down his wing every game, even against world class opposition. Yes, he has lapses but all players do. I am convinced if Zabaleta played in this team we would be weaker.

I am not trying to convince you, just simply justifying my point of view.
Well certainly the premier league then and ONE of the best RB's in the world.

Pace is no use going forward if you have no end product, I like Walker, his pace certainly gets him out of the shit at the back but Zabs on his day and especially those three seasons was better in the system that we played then and even Pep would have been glad to have such an attacking RB/RWB he was on the turn when Pep took over and the reason we bought Walker.

All about opinions in it :)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.