Best XI post 2008 takeover

"Best" including all the players with the big minutes since the takeover.

In order of minutes for the 20,000+ minutes guys:

31,093 - D Silva
28,530 - Dinho
28,318 - Hart (Eddie on 21,562)
27,506 - Kompany
26,653 - Aguero
25,031 - Sterling
23,502 - YaYa
23,195 - Zaba
23,101 - KDB

Need to add a LB and a CB with most minutes to make a 11 - so Otamendi (17441) and Clichy (15619)

Hart

Zaba, Kompany, Otamendi, Clichy

Dinho YaYa

Sterling, KDB, Silva

Aguero

Last edited:
Eddy
Kyle
Kompany
Dias
Cancelo
Fernandihno
Yaya
Kevin
David Silva
Tevez
Aguero
Can't really argue with this; Stones, Rodri, Bernardo, Foden, Sterling all in with a shout.

The worst? Got to be Bony, Sinclair, Fernando, Bravo. All felt like a big step backwards for the club.

The definite picks would be Walker, Kompany, Fernandinho, Touré, D. Silva, De Bruyne, and Aguero.

I think at keeper, it should be Ederson, but I think Hart in those early years was of an extremely high level that puts him in contention.

The other CB choice is tough. I think it should probably be Laporte for the combination of longevity, quality, AND consistency. Dias hasn't been here too long, and Stones lacked the consistency for whatever reason. If you're willing to look past 19/20, then Otamendi might be a decent shout.

LB is ridiculous because there are no obvious standouts for the post-2008 period. I'd almost be tempted to stick Laporte in there like some ugly TOTY style pick and then have another CB in like Dias or Stones.

I think for the final attacker, Sterling is the fairest choice. He's got a huge amount of goals, match-winning performances, and longevity. Whilst they were all arguably better players at some point, I don't think any of Tevez, Dzeko or Bernardo have contributed more than Sterling has done in total. Although they'd all be good options.

Ederson
Walker
Kompany
Stones
Laporte

Fernandinho
Touré
D. Silva
De Bruyne
Sterling

Aguero

Ćorluka left summer 2008, before the takeover. Possibly on the same day as the takeover, actually
So it might still be relevant, depending on the time he signed his Spuds contract!

I‘m happy to replace him in the side, but don’t think Onuaha should be in our worst post takeover XI.

I‘d put Sagna in there instead of him if need be, or even Richard Wright!

I am very fond of Pablo Zabaleta. A good player, a warrior and played as if he was a lifelong Blue. However, I cannot see any reason why he would be chosen ahead of Walker.
because for three seasons he was the best right-back in the world, he could do it all, as good as Walker is, he can not cross a ball for shit and is prone to some horrendous lapses in concentration.

Zab's started slowly, prone to fouls in dangerous areas but he improved as the team improved around him peaking for 3 seasons of excellence before steadily declining and ending up at West Ham for his final hurrah.

I would take that Zabba over Walker all day long.

because for three seasons he was the best right-back in the world, he could do it all, as good as Walker is, he can not cross a ball for shit and is prone to some horrendous lapses in concentration.

Zab's started slowly, prone to fouls in dangerous areas but he improved as the team improved around him peaking for 3 seasons of excellence before steadily declining and ending up at West Ham for his final hurrah.

I would take that Zabba over Walker all day long.
Which seasons were those? When did Dani Alves retire?

Walker is better than Zabaleta by a country mile in all aspects bar crossing, which he hardly ever does and head wounds.

The definite picks would be Walker, Kompany, Fernandinho, Touré, D. Silva, De Bruyne, and Aguero.

I think at keeper, it should be Ederson, but I think Hart in those early years was of an extremely high level that puts him in contention.

The other CB choice is tough. I think it should probably be Laporte for the combination of longevity, quality, AND consistency. Dias hasn't been here too long, and Stones lacked the consistency for whatever reason. If you're willing to look past 19/20, then Otamendi might be a decent shout.

LB is ridiculous because there are no obvious standouts for the post-2008 period. I'd almost be tempted to stick Laporte in there like some ugly TOTY style pick and then have another CB in like Dias or Stones.

I think for the final attacker, Sterling is the fairest choice. He's got a huge amount of goals, match-winning performances, and longevity. Whilst they were all arguably better players at some point, I don't think any of Tevez, Dzeko or Bernardo have contributed more than Sterling has done in total. Although they'd all be good options.

Ederson
Walker
Kompany
Stones
Laporte

Fernandinho
Touré
D. Silva
De Bruyne
Sterling

Aguero
The way I thought of it was to pick a player at each position at their absolute peaks.

When I view it that way, i see 3 debatables

Eddy vs Hart: I'll lean Hart personally!
Zaba vs Walker: I lean Walker.
Dias vs Stones: I lean Dias

Kompany, Cancelo, Dihno, Yaya, David, Kevin, Aguero, and Tevez at their peaks were unmatched. The only other player who's peak deserves a place is Sterling.

The year he was scoring every last minute goal for a 2 month period was just out of this World.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.