27 | Matheus Nunes - 2023/24

Thought that was his best game so far. Got all the attributes to become an important player for us, just needs to get a decent run of games but not sure when he'll get that given the competition for places. Just needs to be patient and takes his chances when they come.

Nunes must see that he is being bedded in as the future. He is 25 years old, plays in the same national team as Dias & Bernardo, who is 4 yrs his senior, and must have understood he was being brought in as an initial squad player who was expected to transition to a regular first team player.

On tonight’s performance, I’d say he has shown he has already achieved that in a midfield that is world class. Accordingly, I believe he has earned the trust of Pep in bring a regular member of that rotation.

As you can tell, I think his trajectory could be KDB-esque at City. His running, his speed, his size…all KDB-esque already. In fact, there was one moment where he was driving forward and saw a pass to his right, but it was going to be a difficult one to make…so he tries to curl it, on the run, with the outside of his right foot!

Sadly, the pass didn’t spring the attacker, but it was a peek behind the curtain of what he thinks is in his locker, even though it didn’t quite come off.

I think he’s a semi-cut diamond that Pep is going to polish into a dazzling gem in this team…just in time to take over the mantel of one of our best players ever.
'KDB esque' lol, he'll be playing for Sevilla in a couple years.

Nunes must see that he is being bedded in as the future. He is 25 years old, plays in the same national team as Dias & Bernardo, who is 4 yrs his senior, and must have understood he was being brought in as an initial squad player who was expected to transition to a regular first team player.

On tonight’s performance, I’d say he has shown he has already achieved that in a midfield that is world class. Accordingly, I believe he has earned the trust of Pep in bring a regular member of that rotation.

As you can tell, I think his trajectory could be KDB-esque at City. His running, his speed, his size…all KDB-esque already. In fact, there was one moment where he was driving forward and saw a pass to his right, but it was going to be a difficult one to make…so he tries to curl it, on the run, with the outside of his right foot!

Sadly, the pass didn’t spring the attacker, but it was a peek behind the curtain of what he thinks is in his locker, even though it didn’t quite come off.

I think he’s a semi-cut diamond that Pep is going to polish into a dazzling gem in this team…just in time to take over the mantel of one of our best players ever.
I think its too early to say yet. I have been unimpressed up until the last couple of games where I can see he has some unique skills in his locker. His assist yesterday was very very clever and was more difficult to execute than it looked and as you say his 'breaking lines' through speed is something we haven't seen for a while. I will start to get excited when he shows those attributes more consistently. I'm still not convinced about his defensive work rate yet but maybe that will come with time. Interesting player with potential, for sure.

He’s a good player but I’ll hold off on saying more until I’ve seen him perform as well against more testing opponents than Burnley and Huddersfield. As you say, he’s got the pace and gait to gallop away from most midfielders and defenders, but he’ll need to improve his final vertical through ball (3 wayward last night). He’s currently comfortable providing horizontal assists, when he has more time to compose himself, but weighting the killer pass forward when on the gallop is much harder. When he starts delivering those, I’ll dig out my loupe and give a carat.

I have been unimpressed up until the last couple of games where I can see he has some unique skills in his locker.

His ability to run with ball was obvious before we signed him. He's world class in that respect. There isn't another midfielder in the PL who can carry the ball 30-40 yards at that speed.

He needs to add more understanding of the way we play and how to react in small spaces where he can't solve problems by running with the ball. He can do it if he is patient enough. He can destroy high-pressing teams with his ability to beat 2-3 players in the middle of the park.

Well.. we have seen glimpses of a great footballer so far and that's not bad, especially if we consider Kalvin's situation, i.e this player can be improved and has everything to meet City's standards.

What we definitely know right now is that - he is more of an attacking midfielder, than defensive midfielder.
Due to reason that at Sporting he played more as number 8 or number 6, I thought that he would be playing as Rodri's cover and Kovacic as KDB's..

But this season showed that Kovacic can be used as number 8 and number 6, covering for Rodri or playing alongside Rodri in double pivot systems..

Matheus should be used as number 10 and number 8. Covering for KDB and Foden and competing with Alvarez for that "behind the striker" position..

We should also consider that both Matheus and Kovacic are supposed to be a squad players and not regular starters. As a regular starters in midfield we have Rodri / KDB / Foden / Bernardo, which means that for squad players they are more than OK.

In a long-term, who knows. When KDB retires and Matheus has 2-3 years experience, I can't see why Matheus shouldn't be considered as a player, who eventually plays alongside Foden in this 3-4-3 system.

His ability to run with ball was obvious before we signed him. He's world class in that respect. There isn't another midfielder in the PL who can carry the ball 30-40 yards at that speed.

He needs to add more understanding of the way we play and how to react in small spaces where he can't solve problems by running with the ball. He can do it if he is patient enough. He can destroy high-pressing teams with his ability to beat 2-3 players in the middle of the park.
Thats maybe true mate. I hadn't seen a great deal of him before he was transferred to us so I could only judge his first games.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.