9 | Erling Haaland - 2023/24

in a lot of ways Haaland is a freak of nature: incredibly fast, strong and powerful. Not the best footballer which at times can make him appear clumsy.

Not sure he is the best fit for us as I feel he makes us one dimensional and we lack the control and fluidity the false 9 system gives us. Saying that he will still score shed load of goals for us due to his movement and athletic gifts. Would still like him to score more “heavy” goals though.

Do feel he needs to work a bit harder off the ball (Sergio had to up his defensive work rate and I’d like to think haaland will be treated the same) and I feel he could occupy the defenders a bit more. At times he is a passenger.

Posted prior to his injury that I felt we would be a better side without him and after watching us with him out can’t say I have changed that viewpoint.

He is obviously a very very good player but football isn’t about individuals and as a collective I feel we are more balanced and fluid with Alvarez as the 9 or even foden. Gives the opposition more to think about and we just look a better side imo

Last edited:
Ahh, the not the best fit shite is getting its own little bandwagon I see.
Tbf I said this before we signed him after watching dortmund. So I’m not getting on a bandwagon. Haaland strengths don’t mesh with our strengths as teams sit deep and we can’t use his elite pace and power effectively. Instead we play in tight spaces and players need to be world class technicians to be effective in our side (again haaland isn’t this).

As I mentioned haaland will still score many goals for us because he has elite attributes and we create a whole plethora of chances. Imo a striker like Kane would have been a better fit for us

Some people feel strongly for criticizing our own players failures after games, instead of looking at the season as a whole with ups and downs.

Some people feel strongly for criticizing our own players failures after games, instead of looking at the season as a whole with ups and downs.
They aren’t worth engaging with usually but it’s hard not to occasionally.

I don’t really see how we lack control with him playing. We absolutely dominate every game we play. Teams will always look to counter attack against us and that will be the case whether we have Haaland playing or not.

He has just come back from injury, his grandmother just passed, and things aren’t quite coming off for him right now, but he still has two goals and an assist in just over 360 minutes of football.

He’ll be fine.

The football trolls are always going to troll, especially with our players. Just ignore them. And certainly don’t feed them by engaging their nonsense with a response defending Haaland.

I agree we need to adapt but i think we just need to play him in earlier, problem we have is that it is only Kev with the confidence in his ability to play that pass - sonetimes Phil will do it when playing centrally

There have been countless times that Haaland has positioned himself for a ball to be played early in to him, but it hasnt/doesnt occur

Thats what needs to change. If we look back at the great David Silva who was a master of splitting the midfield & defence allowing Sergio to be through on goal - thats more of what we need especially to get the best out if Erling

Erling wants that ball played early to him when the opportunity presents..issue we have is having players who will take that risk
Thing is if Haaland does stay for a long time, we need a new Silva or KDB because otherwise no fucker will pass to him going off the rest of the team, in the top the SS you can see the runs he makes and it’s screaming for a through ball but they don’t see it down on the pitch for whatever reason, but there are many times he could be put through but just isn’t.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.