How do we resolve the Brexit mess?

Getting rid of Saddam Hussein was a good thing (and I never met an Iraqi who was sorry to see him go) but not having a sensible plan for what happened next was a monumental disaster.
That was down to Bush who wanted to cozy up to the likes of Blackwater. Blair warned him about not having a plan and suggested inclusion of Baa'thists which could have stopped the insurgency to at least some extent or even altogether.

do you think the war improved things in the region, on the whole?
Possibly not on the whole, but Saddam was a tyrant who needed to be eliminated and the war was the first step.
That there wasn't a plan for post-war Iraq doesn't make getting rid of him a bad thing.

Possibly not on the whole, but Saddam was a tyrant who needed to be eliminated and the war was the first step.
That there wasn't a plan for post-war Iraq doesn't make getting rid of him a bad thing.
I watched the Michael Palin in Iraq which was show maybe a couple of years ago, just going off that for many people things are better and getting better,I know that's not an in depth analysis, but it's probably not as simple as better or worse.

Its some to-do list that a new government will be faced with:

Brexit/Trade with the EU
Nationalism in Wales, Scotland and N Ireland
Debt
Low economy growth
Energy
Water/the poisoning of our waterways
Rail network
Road network
child poverty
Pension strategy
Getting our immigration strategy right
the welfare state
climate change
national security and policy toward China and Russia
the Middle East Crisis
Ukraine

All the above pretty much fucked.
Policies that are more of the same, be they Labour or Tory aint going to cut it

Is this the bit where someone says:
War in Iraq
War in Iraq
War in Iraq

As though helping to get rid of Saddam Hussein is a bad thing.
I think there is a genuine argument that with what followed that it was a black mark against Blair but those clowns saying he should be up on war crimes charges are chatting bollocks IMO.

In contrast to what unfolded in Iraq, if you speak to Kosovan Albanians then they see Blair as a hero who did more to secure NATO intervention against Serbia than any other leader.

I think there is a genuine argument that with what followed that it was a black mark against Blair but those clowns saying he should be up on war crimes charges are chatting bollocks IMO.

In contrast to what unfolded in Iraq, if you speak to Kosovan Albanians then they see Blair as a hero who did more to secure NATO intervention against Serbia than any other leader.
I wonder how different this country would look if Blair hadn’t stepped down in 2007 and he had fought the 2010 election. I think Labour would have won, and we possibly wouldn’t be looking at the fucking abortion we do today. For better or worse, lots of people never warmed to Brown, myself included, although he was a very good Chancellor, overall. Probably went OTT with public spending from about 2004 to 2008, but that’s infinitely better than the situation we find ourselves in today with public services.

Its some to-do list that a new government will be faced with:

Brexit/Trade with the EU
Nationalism in Wales, Scotland and N Ireland
Debt
Low economy growth
Energy
Water/the poisoning of our waterways
Rail network
Road network
child poverty
Pension strategy
Getting our immigration strategy right
the welfare state
climate change
national security and policy toward China and Russia
the Middle East Crisis
Ukraine

All the above pretty much fucked.
Policies that are more of the same, be they Labour or Tory aint going to cut it
There is no magic formula though. At least with Labour they won't be the driving force behind a number of the next set of issues to emerge on the list

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.