The Title Race - 2023/24

How many points will be needed to win the league?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Optimistic post

Whilst I know this is probably a mixture of fitness issues with bigger players, Gundo/ Mahrez going and a treble hangover.

We are still open to this scenario.

Last season we where purring at this point (arguably like Arsenal are now) and we finished with the treble, we peaked at the right time.

However, I actually felt we tailed off towards the end of the season and the finals etc we where not great.

This season we are still to peak in my view, we do have a couple more gears to go and next week might be when it all starts and that peak could then take us to the end of the season.

25 Points out of the last 27 Available which no other team in the league has done, One point off the summit, No injuries either and folk are throwing the fuckin towel in. Deary me.
Realistically on the form we are in results wise we will finish winning it either a by 1-2 points or end up on level points with the scousers.

The 1-0 scores and not racking up goal difference may be the only issue we have, not a problem with us winning games, smashing the rags by 5 will remedy that though ;-)

True enough but I wonder how often a team wins the league with an inferior goal difference to their main challenger? We always seem to have a very healthy goal difference when we gather enough points to win the league. As well as being a nice buffer maybe it also is an indicator of how many points you will end up with.
For better or worse the next 4 or 5 weeks will give us the answers to a lot of questions.
I was intrigued to know how many times the champions haven’t had the best goal difference so I had a look Into it.
I just looked at the PL era rather than going all the way back to the introduction of the rule in the 1970s and in 31 seasons, the champions haven’t had the best GD on nine occasions so just under 30% of the time. It’s actually happened four times in the last 10 years, most recently when the dippers were champions in the interrupted covid season - we had the best goal difference despite finishing 18 points adrift. Leicester were champions in 2015-16 despite only having the third best goal difference that season.

Last edited:
25 Points out of the last 27 Available which no other team in the league has done, One point off the summit, No injuries either and folk are throwing the fuckin towel in. Deary me.
Feel like I'm going insane reading some of the comments about how poor our "form" is compared to rivals. I know memories can be short in football, but fuck me.

This ! We also are the only team who has shown time and time again that we can get over the line and we have the added bonus of being able to play and take points off both Arsenal and Liverpool. It's in our hands, very strange how people are shitting themselves and not up for the fight

I think some Blues are dubious about our chances because we keep seeing the Dippers and Tarquins twatting in 4 and 5 goals for fun.

But there’s virtually a third of the season left and we are right in there without having hit top gear yet. It’s a marathon, not a sprint.

And if any squad and manager in the history of City deserved our trust, it’s this lot!

Up the fucking Blues.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.