Blue Moon Playlist Review Club - Season 2, Episode 16 - Spaced Out - RobMCFC (pg 338)

My top 5 other new tracks (not yet heard in some or no particular order):
  1. “Soul Boy" – The Blue Nile, a strong vocal song that doesn't try to hard, but wow, does it deliver a mood
  2. "Loud Like Love" - Placebo, really liking this band every time they show up here

I'm glad you mentioned Placebo as I was going to post separately about this track and then forgot.

Not sure how, but outside of these playlists I think I've managed to (unintentionally) avoid their all their music pretty much since Nancy Boy came out all those years ago. I remember at the time of that song thinking that they'd got what they wanted in terms of a bit of manufactured controversy and the whole thing struck me as a bit juvenile and so I think I must have subconsciously dismissed them out of hand. However this weeks track and the one on the previous playlist suggests to me that it was probably unfair to do that.

Really enjoyed this playlist which would have run to hours of tracks in the previous format.Still the reduced playlist produced lots of new and seldom heard songs as well as the more obvious ones.

Of ones I’d not heard before KALEO stood out along with Thunder, The Masters Apprentice and The Civil Wars.

Ones known to me that I really like include
Talk Talk ,the best song on here
The Blue Nile
Frightened Rabbit
Bruce Springsteen

Just while it is Sunday, and before we all get into our pre and post match moods..

Anybody up for setting a theme and kicking us off next Monday? Newcomers welcome to go for it too, such as @Blue Tooth or @NotThreeSpireshonest
Just picked this up. So I would, at some point, be up for picking a theme. Thought I would see how I go with a few others first. I still haven't made time to listen to the full playlist from the last theme.

Alright, here we go for the next theme. All of the pics I could find are pretty obvious, so we'll get straight to it with a few of the ones I fancied...

1710771482360.png1710771503431.png1710771580301.png

Time

With the 10/3/2024 Daylight Savings Time change in the US, for these current 3 weeks I’m only off of GMT for 4 hours, not the usual 5 in the eastern US time zone. Keeping track of time and knowing offsets is something I do in my daily job in having projects in all of the time zones in the mainland US. I’ve even got one in AZ in a state that never changes its time offset. I figured with the changing of times to Daylight / Summer in the northern hemisphere, I’d choose this theme while we’re in the middle of that transition.

Lots of possible songs exist with a specific time, perhaps a day, a season, or simply noting the passing of each. One thing that is constant, time is always advancing, even more so as we spring ahead (in the UK) once this playlist is completed.

Time – Alan Parson Project
A song with strong memories for me on the passing of time and those no longer with us. My mom told the teen me in the early 80’s that this song reminded her of her father, a captain in the US Navy during WWII, who passed away a year after its release. Most everyone knows this song, but I’m choosing it to kick things off as it always had a personal meaning for me, and even more since she passed 2 years ago. “But time, keeps flowing like a river, to the sea”.

Spring (Among The Living) – My Morning Jacket
We have of our pear trees in full bloom, and the yellow pollen famous in the Carolinas just started on Friday as time indicates the coming of the Spring season is upon us (officially later this week). It’s the time of year no one washes their car here for a month given how pointless it is. This is one of my favo(u)rites from The Waterfall where the band captures the essence of change in the air and kicks it into a full jam by the end. “Its beauty changes, changes everything”.

The Moment – Toad The Wet Sprocket
This song, when I first heard it, let me know that the band I enjoyed and remembered was back in more ways than one after such a long absence. A clear reference to the here and now, this song discusses the potential of life’s choices in the song title and the countless options still out there. “There is nothing but the moment, don’t you waste it on regret”.

Time (Clock of the Heart) – Culture Club
Another personal song, and not a band I had listened to much at all before meeting my college girlfriend in the mid-80’s. My taste in music and hers were not the same, but over time, she grew to love Rush and other rock bands, and I learned to tolerate, nah.. enjoy, selections of Culture Club. I’m much more open to music thanks to my now better half, and among the various UK bands I learned to appreciate (OMD, The Smiths, The Cure), I have her to thank. This song more than most others defines that time for me.

10:03 – Doves
I’ve always enjoyed this song on the title of a train time to catch. It starts off slowly, but by the end, you feel you are on a runaway train barreling down the tracks. Making the plane connection, being ready for a ride, or being on time for the bus or train, we’re guided by the times of each sometimes to get from A to B. Recently, this song was also featured in a Netflix documentary of a footballer who wore Rags instead of the City Blue that these bandmates supported. I found that deliciously ironic and enjoyable in that movie.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.