Heartburn

Tomato, whilst being incredibly good for you, is very bad for acid reflux.

Spicy foods, chocolate, coffee, alcohol and fizzy drinks are the other big things.

Obviously eating late at night and lying down soon after food are no good. In my experience, if you work sitting in an office chair, bad posture (e.g. slumping forward in the chair and leaning towards the screen) also tend to set off bouts.

Anything like the second one below? If so, a few tips on the couple pages following this post from others worth reading.

Second one but I somehow manage to breathe the acid into my lungs as well and the irritation and coughing fits that ensure are off the scale leaving me genuinely worried I’m about to have heart failure.

Second one but I somehow manage to breathe the acid into my lungs as well and the irritation and coughing fits that ensure are off the scale leaving me genuinely worried I’m about to have heart failure.

Sounds horrid. Hopefully you are getting it seen to and checked. It can take a while, so wouldn't hold back, and wouldn't let it get dismissed lightly either which I was maybe a bit too passive about.

I’m having serious bouts of acid reflux in the middle of the night that is going to kill me im certain of it.

I’m waking having breathed the acid into my lungs and the coughing fits that follow for an hour or so due to the irritation in my throat and lungs are so bad, I fear I’m going to have a heart attack. I’m waking the house, the wife is obviously worried and the effects on us the day after at work due to tiredness from lack of sleep is also no fun.
I think it’s more likely to be hitting your throat than going into your lungs. It’s pretty common. Has this got worse since your stress levels at work have ramped up too as I always found it worse when I was feeling a bit anxious etc.

Do you swig gaviscon before bed? That might help a bit.

I think it’s more likely to be hitting your throat than going into your lungs. It’s pretty common. Has this got worse since your stress levels at work have ramped up too as I always found it worse when I was feeling a bit anxious etc.

Do you swig gaviscon before bed? That might help a bit.

It’s 100% got to this level since my work became unbearable. I’m speaking to the doctor tomorrow about this and my stress/depression. I can’t carry on as is.

It’s 100% got to this level since my work became unbearable. I’m speaking to the doctor tomorrow about this and my stress/depression. I can’t carry on as is.
Dont hold back with the Doctor. Get yourself a sicknote for a couple of weeks and take a breather. Try and confide in someone you can trust at work who may be able to help.

Its probably being fuelled by intense anxiety. It’s a horrible feeling and it gets worse as you then think you are going to die (Your heart attack comment). This is classic anxiety. It starts off minor but then builds and builds until your body and brain can’t take anymore. What your body is telling you is that you need a complete rest. 2 weeks might be enough but you might need more.

https://psychcentral.com/anxiety/can-anxiety-cause-acid-reflux#the-link

It can and does get better with time believe me. There are lots of medications that can treat both the heartburn and the anxiety.

Hope it goes well for you. It’s a really horrible feeling but with small steps to address the stress and anxiety you will probably find that the heartburn eases again. In the meantime, just take meds to help with that.

Did you get anything helpful with the doctors?

An off the wall suggestion.
As well as all the medicines recommended above I started having a daily Yakult probiotic after suffering badly with acid reflux.
It might be coincidental but I have not had a return of reflux since.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.