Has social media made the UK more right wing?

I am quite new to facebook and its full of right wing stuff, i have been on twitter for years and that is a pit of hatred. Who needs the Daily Mail when you get hate for free on social media.

Am i wrong? whats your experiences?
It's part of the reason I came off it.

It makes money by interaction. So I was always getting right wing bullshit on my feed. Whilst they were getting "woke" status and memes on there's.

Social media especially Twitter is completely overrun by right wing accounts - but I think most people see through it and it’s having the reverse effect. Hence Labour are going to smash the Tories (who are pandering to the extreme right) in the election.

There is some really hateful and pernicious stuff on there, and usually not worth trying to flag it up as offensive or inflammatory.

Social media especially Twitter is completely overrun by right wing accounts - but I think most people see through it and it’s having the reverse effect. Hence Labour are going to smash the Tories (who are pandering to the extreme right) in the election.
I think people are going to vote Labour because of their own personal experience of living under the Tories more than anything else. A lot of the criticism of the Tories (and Brexit) over the last 14 years has been theoretical, ideological, or affecting 'someone else.' I think we've finally got to the stage where almost everyone, not just 'benefit scroungers,' young families and the working classes, has suffered a drop in living standards. Even people on low six figure incomes are noticing the problems now. Mortgage prices up, energy prices up, taxes up, and every public service delivering a worse service. I reckon that's got more to do with it than Twitter.

On the main question, I think people have short memories tbh. I remember when the whole political discourse was determined by a handful of right-wing media sources. The Sun and the Star were doing "PC-gone-mad" long before the "woke brigade" was a term. Explicitly homophobic and racist headlines were commonplace.

sub-buzz-29031-1560588392-1.png

sub-buzz-17191-1560587802-1.png

hPFvvvXEQKtRQcW-800x450-noPad.jpg

There's definitely an argument that it makes this more polarized, but let's not pretend that people reading these newspapers back in the day were getting some sort of carefully curated, balanced view of the news.

I think it's made some people more extreme in general, but that's not exclusive to the right wing. Out-and-out conspiracies are definitely more of an issue though, because as bad as the newspapers above are, they do have a certain amount of legal responsibility that doesn't exist for social media.

Social media tends to polarise everything. You could start a debate about your favourite crisps on twitter and it would somehow morph into a left v right slanging match.
You see this with Israel/ Palestine with the left unquestioningly supporting Palestinians and the right pretending butter would not melt in the Israeli govts mouth. there is very little balanced debate around the 'middle'.
The way social media is policed / moderated probably feeds this and perhaps a RW bias?

It’s an echo chamber.

Its right wing if you’re that way inclined and left wing for those that way inclined.

Both sides bat shit crazy.
False equivalency.

X is a right wing cesspit.

I only go on X if there is a link on here, but if I look at the next video underneath the City video, it is nearly always some right wing political bullshit (I’m not!), something religious (I’m not!), or some classroom/gang fight (in which I have zero interest and find repulsive). If I hit “For you” I get more of that, but if I hit “Follow” I get none of it because I don’t follow any if that other BS!

I don’t do any other social media, and I’m glad I don’t!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.