The Album Review Club - Week #120 - (page 1413) - The Lexicon of Love - ABC

There was an absolute glut of bands from Liverpool in this era. This sounds a bit weaker than I remember it and to some degree I can see why they never quite made it, but then equally why did a band like say China Crisis do better than them, maybe a bit more hooky but also more formulaic too?

However, it does have multiple redeeming features the primary one being that, unlike some of their contemporaries, they make an effort to do something interesting and though it sometimes skates close to being a bit sixth form pretentious it doesn’t smack of deliberately being all style and no substance. You’re making yourself a bit of a hostage to fortune by citing Love and Burt Bacharach as your influences and though it falls short of those very high bars you can hear what they’re trying to do and fair play to them for trying.

I think Rob nailed it by saying there’s lots of good moments without ever coming together in a really compelling set of songs. “Unless” is probably emblematic of this to me in that it has lots of these very nice moments without quite nailing it completely as a song. I think that impression comes because they are trying to pack in too many thoughts or moments into the songs without necessarily yet having the song writing ability/experience to edit them down or piece them together well enough; Abergele Next Time being another example. Similarly, the pans that open Crazier smacks a bit of ‘we haven’t had steel pans’ yet and the lyric sort of support its so…

It’s frustrating because when they do edit their ideas down even slightly like on songs such as Faithful Pillow Parts1/ 2 it works very well. You can imagine the slightly younger Stuart Staples hearing that and tucking it away for future reference with Tindersticks. You’ll Start a War is another example, write a catchy song and then just add in a few brass embellishments and you get one of the better tracks.

Though not musically similar, it reminded me a bit of their fellow scouser Thomas Lang in that it might be a bit gauche but it’s not simply posturing and whether it managed to fully deliver or not it’s praiseworthy for the trying and probably deserved a bit better than it did (though unlike Pale Fountains, the 80's parody production on Lang's music is borderline unforgiveable).

I'm not familiar with Mick Head's subsequent work, but reading shackattack's post I might have a listen because it needs to be borne in mind this was a first album and you can see how a less is more approach that comes with more experience might mean things could turn out nicely.

After the excellent results this weekend, they would have got a benevolent 7/10 but BH posted that video so it’s going to be a more realistic 6.5/10 and an acknowledgement that far worse than them managed to get bigger careers.

They recieved a huge advance from Virgin Records at the time for their first two Pale Fountains albums. They later played as Arthur Lee's guitarists at 2 gigs in Paris and Luverpool. Arthur himself was impressed by how many of his songs they could play.
They were probably more aligned with bands such as Aztec Camera and A Certain Ratio at the time. They later became Shack and were more guitar led and if you look up Waterpistol by them you'll hear a more baggy sound to their music.

Influenced heavily by his love for Arthur Lee it's a decent album for it's time.
Fast forward 10 years and listen to Waterpistol by Shack then do the same period again and listen to Magical World of The Strands by Mick.
A thing of sheer beauty
I got into Mick Head through Waterpistol and I think his best work is The Magical World of The Strands. He's had some life full of bad luck and addiction and sporadic releases. Seems to be in a good place at the moment and is releasing a memoir soon along with a new album. Was lucky enough to see him on the HMS Fable tour. Had to be one to tick off on the must see list. The Pale Fountains for me are of their time but pretty good

I'm getting a small growth of the Lightening Seeds, a tiny exposure of Aztec Camera, a whisker of Afraid Of Mice, A wee connection of The Associates and a stab of China Crisis. With a snip of Haircut 100.

At first listen this is very wishy washy neither grabbing me nor exciting the ears. That might have something to do with the production which is either letting it down or understated.

On second listen my ears somewhat mellowed to 'Unless' which I'm beginning to like. Unfortunately the other two songs of the opening three washed over me.
Things picked up with Natural which to my delicate lug holes had a good groove and reminded me of Boxer Beat for some reason.
Then things went back to wishy washy until Meadow Of Love. Which was also rather nice.

It's of the holding your guitar higher than normal ilk which I never really got on with. Indie light. Not too hard on the ears but the album needed more Natural than Faithful Pillow to grab me.

5/10

Influenced heavily by his love for Arthur Lee it's a decent album for it's time.
Fast forward 10 years and listen to Waterpistol by Shack then do the same period again and listen to Magical World of The Strands by Mick.
A thing of sheer beauty
Never knew the Shack connection.HMS Fable could well be a future pick.

A lot of albums presented here deal with strong memories from the past, so it’s good that we have a relatively recent album
"relatively recent"??? Its mad to think it but even this album is 40yrs old!

It's of the holding your guitar higher than normal ilk
A whole genre of music distilled into one line! Superb and did genuinely make me chuckle

I'm getting a small growth of the Lightening Seeds, a tiny exposure of Aztec Camera, a whisker of Afraid Of Mice, A wee connection of The Associates and a stab of China Crisis. With a snip of Haircut 100.

At first listen this is very wishy washy neither grabbing me nor exciting the ears. That might have something to do with the production which is either letting it down or understated.

On second listen my ears somewhat mellowed to 'Unless' which I'm beginning to like. Unfortunately the other two songs of the opening three washed over me.
Things picked up with Natural which to my delicate lug holes had a good groove and reminded me of Boxer Beat for some reason.
Then things went back to wishy washy until Meadow Of Love. Which was also rather nice.

It's of the holding your guitar higher than normal ilk which I never really got on with. Indie light. Not too hard on the ears but the album needed more Natural than Faithful Pillow to grab me.

5/10
Shortly after their initial 2 Pale Fountains albums they formed Shack. Their first album Zilch was produced by Ian Broudie and it was generally regarded as lyrically good but the production ( especially the drums) was a little over the top shall we say. HMS Fable was a more solid offering but personally I prefer Here's Tom With The Weather by them. Shack were on Noel Gallaghers label ( big brother) for a short while and I met Noel at a few Shack gigs in London.

Very 80's indie in trying to make the perfect pop songs.
On the whole they succeeded.
Reach i thought oh no at the start but once it got going i thought it was great.
Same with the next track Something on my mind.
Unless the same but never picked up despite a decent trumpet bit.
Southbound excursion another track that was okay but never picked up after a so so start.
After that the album picks up with natural,then the instrumental Faithful Pillow after a slow start loved the ending.
You'll start a war,Beyond Friday's field,Abergele next time,Crazier,Faithfull pillow 2,Palm of my hand all very good tracks.
Love's a beautiful place the weakest track on the album saved by a great trumpet.
Meadow of love and thank you a strong finish.
Loved the guitars,trumpet and i think the flute parts.
Going to give an extra point for finding out it was Mick Head on vocals
Great pick,For an album that i have somehow only heard of the past week I score it 9/10.

Shortly after their initial 2 Pale Fountains albums they formed Shack. Their first album Zilch was produced by Ian Broudie and it was generally regarded as lyrically good but the production ( especially the drums) was a little over the top shall we say. HMS Fable was a more solid offering but personally I prefer Here's Tom With The Weather by them. Shack were on Noel Gallaghers label ( big brother) for a short while and I met Noel at a few Shack gigs in London.
And are we going to get a rating for this weeks selection?
And should Rob add you to the list for the next round so you can nominate yourself?

Was doing a few things round the house today and couldnt find my CD of the album so went and put my old vinyl copy on...Only then I realised it was scratched to fuck. The curse of vinyl...particularly when wasted on the young (as I was long long ago)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.