Phone stolen in Madrid - help needed

I hope there's a way, or insurance option, or summat. Bloody horrid to happen. Sad to see. All the best. Stay positive.

Zips on pockets and more. I live by them. Sailing shorts are practicality knife-proof like the ones I wore in Istanbul, now with partial slice marks thanks to UEFA's wonderful stadium policies.

just read this whole thread can't believe how easy it was for them , cant understand how they can get into the phone and change all those settings .
I am correct in saying they knew your passcode ? and that is how ?
sorry slight confused how this can be possible .
hope it all gets sorted with the banks etc

This is a long shot i know but I was in Dubliners bar on 08/04/24 and sat at the very back bar with my wife adjacent to the bar. I was talking to a guy who I now know as Jude and had nothing to do with the incident but I had my phone stolen in the bar around 23:00. The bar was very packed but I am looking for anyone who was in the bar maybe at the back end who may have taken any videos or pictures as i want to be able to identify a croatian gentleman around 35-40 wearing black jacket and grey beard.
A long story short he got access to my phone and locked me out of my account and then stole quite a large amount of money from my bank accounts. I've reported it to the Police and the bar has no CCTV which I find suspicious considering how busy it was and the potential for trouble. If anyone can help or also had their phone stolen please pm me. We are talking a loss at the moment in the region of 4k which Im now trying to recover back from the banks,

My recommendation is although Apple Pay is great for convenience however if they get your phone whilst its unlocked you are screwed and face ID can be overruled with the passcode. Apple are now onto this a bit late for myself but anyone with a newer Iphone

Also i had a couple of cards attached to Apple Pay thats a disaster only have one and ideally one with a low card limit it only takes them to double tap and they dont need your facial ID.

Ensure you have IOS 17.3 or later

Go into settings
Face ID & Passcode
scroll down to Stolen Device Protection (New Feature)
Turn it on
This adds another layer of protection if your Iphone gets stolen so if your phone is in an unfamiliar location you must authenticate with face ID and not just the passcode. It also adds security delays of an hour before critical security changes are made.

Within approx 2 hours they had cleared out 3 bank accounts of funds !!

I hope this doesn't happen to any other blues onwards and upwards and hopefully we get the result next week
How did he know your passcode To change a passcode you have to have the current one? My phone will lock within 20 seconds
I have the new security setting that introduced a delay when making seating changes outside a familiar location

Avoid the temptation to enter your passcode if faceid/touchid isn't behaving. These types will watch out for people entering a passcode. If they manage to spot it, then they will target that phone for theft, because knowing the passcode, allows them to pretty much take over your apple id

Sorry to hear that, but with all due respect I wouldn't have even bothered typing the post. There is little, if any, chance of getting a stolen phone back, but as a mobile phone retailer I have advised people for years to NEVER EVER use your phone as a wallet. You wouldn't carry a large sum of money in an envelope so why carry it in your phone? Few people actually secure them or even know how to, but given how easy it is to carry a credit or debit card around there really is no point in using your phone, it's just a gimmick.

For the record I, lock my cards and have a £100 maximum withdrawal limit in case I lose my card or have it stolen. It only takes a few seconds to unlock it again when you want to use it for a large purchase. It also gives the bank a red flag if somebody tries to use a card for more than the limit you have set. Any unauthorised use of the card is covered, I'm not sure if the rules apply to details stored in mobile phones though. Same with your computer, never store your card details in your PCs' "secure" card wallet.

I do hope you get a positive result from this, and if nothing else I hope this helps someone.

Incidentally there's nothing unusual about the bar not having cameras, CCTV blanket coverage is mostly a UK/US obsession. It's not that common in most other countries. Only the US and China have more CCTV cameras (think about how small our country is and you get an idea of how absurd it is), and only Italy (I think) has more speed cameras in total, but we have more per mile.

I don’t understand that advice.

You advise against putting a bank card on a phone in case someone steals it, unlocks it and somehow manages to use it without face recognition or similar?

Instead you advise carrying around an actual physical card, that can nearly all be used contactless instantly for transactions up to £100, without any checks whatsoever?

How is that more secure?

I don’t understand that advice.

You advise against putting a bank card on a phone in case someone steals it, unlocks it and somehow manages to use it without face recognition or similar?

Instead you advise carrying around an actual physical card, that can nearly all be used contactless instantly for transactions up to £100, without any checks whatsoever?

How is that more secure?
A physical wallet is more likely to be in a safe pocket, not out potentially on a table.

There's no right answer as a thieving **** is a thieving ****, making it a bit more difficult is the best you can do.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.