Phone stolen in Madrid - help needed

A physical wallet is more likely to be in a safe pocket, not out potentially on a table.

There's no right answer as a thieving **** is a thieving ****, making it a bit more difficult is the best you can do.

That’s kind of my point. Surely it’s more difficult to use a virtual card on a locked phone, than an actual card that can just be tapped anywhere?

And most people who carry real cards seem to mainly store them tucked into the little place provided for them in phone cases anyway.

I got a pixel watch with my new phone last year and like how that helps me keep my phone in my zipped pocket when out and about, especially when pissed in busy places.
I now use this watch to pay contactless and reply to messages etc without having my phone out on show, so if you can get a watch, I recommend it.

I got a pixel watch with my new phone last year and like how that helps me keep my phone in my zipped pocket when out and about, especially when pissed in busy places.
I now use this watch to pay contactless and reply to messages etc without having my phone out on show, so if you can get a watch, I recommend it.
That’s kind of my point. Surely it’s more difficult to use a virtual card on a locked phone, than an actual card that can just be tapped anywhere?

And most people who carry real cards seem to mainly store them tucked into the little place provided for them in phone cases anyway.
The phone I was using was an Iphone 15 Pro i was looking at the face Id and it is really sensitive ie you can hold it at an angle a few feet away from your face at differing angles and it still opens the phone. I still haven’t worked out how they got into First Direct banking app that uses face ID as the phone was then in their possession.

First Direct - Amazing suppprt cancelled calls got through to a human being and refunded transactions to Revolut.

Post Office Money Card - Poor said they will send out a statement in the post in the next 7 days to identify the fraudulent transactions.

Revolut - Shocking the thieves were locked out as the system detected fraudulent activity straight away then the thief went on the online chat in the app to demand why the transactions were not going through. Revolut then asked the thief to do a selfie with the date and time written on a piece of paper to then cross check the picture with the picture of me on record after a torrent of abuse from the thief saying where will I get paper at this time i’m the morning i found out they then proceeded and allowed 4 transactions without the verification. It Took me 3 days to speak and it was all online but you had to be within the app that i was locked out of!

Halifax i paid extra for the rewards account to have phone insurance they were brilliant but do ensure that you have somewhere your EMEI number you can’t claim nor make a claim to the police without it. I got sent reconditioned phone the next day.

Some good advice from you fellow blues and thank you.

If you do know of any blues that were in the Dubliners bar on the Monday night 22:00 onwards and has any videos please let me know. I read the reviews on Trip Advisor and there are posts on there of 3-4 phones being stolen and terrible reviews of the bar.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear that, but with all due respect I wouldn't have even bothered typing the post. There is little, if any, chance of getting a stolen phone back, but as a mobile phone retailer I have advised people for years to NEVER EVER use your phone as a wallet. You wouldn't carry a large sum of money in an envelope so why carry it in your phone? Few people actually secure them or even know how to, but given how easy it is to carry a credit or debit card around there really is no point in using your phone, it's just a gimmick.

For the record I, lock my cards and have a £100 maximum withdrawal limit in case I lose my card or have it stolen. It only takes a few seconds to unlock it again when you want to use it for a large purchase. It also gives the bank a red flag if somebody tries to use a card for more than the limit you have set. Any unauthorised use of the card is covered, I'm not sure if the rules apply to details stored in mobile phones though. Same with your computer, never store your card details in your PCs' "secure" card wallet.

I do hope you get a positive result from this, and if nothing else I hope this helps someone.

Incidentally there's nothing unusual about the bar not having cameras, CCTV blanket coverage is mostly a UK/US obsession. It's not that common in most other countries. Only the US and China have more CCTV cameras (think about how small our country is and you get an idea of how absurd it is), and only Italy (I think) has more speed cameras in total, but we have more per mile.

I know this post was well intentioned but I don’t think you understand how secure digital wallets work.

I use Apple Pay for everything and without biometric authentication via FaceID or fingerprint it’s useless. Way more secure than using physical cards.

It is, especially as you use Face ID or fingerprint ID for unlocking your phone and then approving the use of the digital card.

You can even set different pass codes for unlocking the phone and approving the card use for each transaction and make it impossible to use the digital card without doing both.

It is also easy enough to set a transaction limit on the digital card or lock it (and at provider, not your phone) so no transactions will be processed.

Digital wallets are no less secure than physical cards. In fact, in some ways they are more secure.

The downside, of course, is that when you lose your phone you are losing far more than just the digital wallet, which can be very disruptive for many people these days.

Last edited:
Really sorry to hear that mate, what a nightmare. As you say, it’s a long shot but hopefully someone can help you. There were a lot of City fans in Dubliners that night. Failing that, the advice you’ve given should be useful for other Blues.
If the phone was stolen, as opposed to lost (which is what it sounds like), then I'd say the chances of him getting the phone back is zero. Sorry to hear about your trouble OP; that's a real kick in the bollocks.

It is, especially as you use Face ID or fingerprint ID for unlocking your phone and then approving the use of the digital card.

You can even set different pass codes for unlucking the phone and approving the card use for each transaction and make it impossible to use the digital card with doing both.

It is also easy enough to see a transaction limit on the digital card or lock it (and at provider, not your phone) so now transactions will be processed.

Digital wallets are no less secure than physical cards. In fact, in some ways they are more secure.

The downside, of course, is that when you lose your phone you are losing far more than just the digital wallet, which can be very disruptive for many people these days.

Not just in some ways. Digital wallets are more secure than physical cards in every way.

The phone I was using was an Iphone 15 Pro i was looking at the face Id and it is really sensitive ie you can hold it at an angle a few feet away from your face at differing angles and it still opens the phone. I still haven’t worked out how they got into First Direct banking app that uses face ID as the phone was then in their possession.

There’s a setting called Requires Attention that makes Face ID more secure as you have to look directly at the screen. I wonder if they managed to hold the phone near to your face before you realised it was stolen to get access. Even with that setting turned on I have found the FD app sometimes still IDs my face when the phone is tilted away from me (such as when I don’t want to go into the app but instead generate a security code).

First Direct - Amazing suppprt cancelled calls got through to a human being and refunded transactions to Revolut.

Post Office Money Card - Poor said they will send out a statement in the post in the next 7 days to identify the fraudulent transactions.

Revolut - Shocking the thieves were locked out as the system detected fraudulent activity straight away then the thief went on the online chat in the app to demand why the transactions were not going through. Revolut then asked the thief to do a selfie with the date and time written on a piece of paper to then cross check the picture with the picture of me on record after a torrent of abuse from the thief saying where will I get paper at this time i’m the morning i found out they then proceeded and allowed 4 transactions without the verification. It Took me 3 days to speak and it was all online but you had to be within the app that i was locked out of!

Halifax i paid extra for the rewards account to have phone insurance they were brilliant but do ensure that you have somewhere your EMEI number you can’t claim nor make a claim to the police without it. I got sent reconditioned phone the next day.

Some good advice from you fellow blues and thank you.

If you do know of any blues that were in the Dubliners bar on the Monday night 22:00 onwards and has any videos please let me know. I read the reviews on Trip Advisor and there are posts on there of 3-4 phones being stolen and terrible reviews of the bar.
Why did they require a photo with the day and date written on a piece of paper to verify the faces matched? He kicked off saying he didn't have a pen or paper. But his face would still not have looked like yours with or without the paper so why not just say "OK just send us your face and hold 4 fingers up"?

Last edited:
Have a look on you tube there’s some good videos about how they steal your info once they get your phone, lots of people keep their password etc in notes and once they are in your phone they go to work. Also they sit near you in a bar and watch you type in your passcode, I use my watch to pay for most things now and keep my phone in my pocket, but have limits and biometric setup as well. Always keep my card in my pocket front pocket as well.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.