North Stand Expansion

I'd be surprised if it didn't encounter delays of some sort. But you'd hope the programme is realistic and allows for them. We're fixed in when we can do certain works, because of needing to access the pitch and have no fans around. So they'll have gone through those timings with a fine tooth-comb to ensure it's deliverable. But bad weather, delays to materials or suppliers are all common place and cause issues. When you have so many moving parts, and a lot of temporary work to facilitate the construction, plus a complex roof system than needs holding up - it's one hell of a job to manage it and ensure it happens.

I haven't seen whether they're currently on schedule or not. Often it's the groundworks phase that causes delays. Encountering something you weren't expecting or weather that causes a problem. Once that's done, often it shoots up without an issue.

I haven't followed the arena closely enough to know why it's been delayed so significantly.
Also COVID played a huge part in the programme and delivery of the COop arena. Delays on materials and from what I’ve heard a few contractors and businesses went out of business during the works.

One thing that seems to have dropped off the radar in this thread with the wish for a home end, safe standing etc is what happens to existing SC holders with kids. This is the Family Stand so if it won't be where will they go? They are sitting in what will be prime areas of the expanded stand.

One thing that seems to have dropped off the radar in this thread with the wish for a home end, safe standing etc is what happens to existing SC holders with kids. This is the Family Stand so if it won't be where will they go? They are sitting in what will be prime areas of the expanded stand.
It's far from certain that all of the North Stand will end up as safe standing. It could be the 1st level, 2nd level, or even none. So I would expect the Family Stand to be situated in the parts of the NS that will remain as seating. Relocating them to a different part of the stadium would be difficult, without then having to relocate SC holders in that part of the stadium elsewhere.

Thanks for the replies.

The weather certainly hasn't been kind to the construction Industry across Manchester this year. It's been one of the wettest Winters and Springs on record so far, with little or no sign of a lasting improvement in the weather to come. Hopefully May and June will bring some much needed dry and warm weather?

The club need to discuss this strategy now and see what people would like to see. In my mind you don't need a family stand, but you do need appropriate pricing for families to come to games and this is securing our future fan base. The new North Stand needs to be attractive to those who want to sing and make an atmosphere, and tickets will then open up elsewhere in the stadium and those in the family stand should be financially compensated for moving. They should have their current price (or price at the time) honoured wherever they move to, unless it's cheaper.

I don't think you have to completely exclude kids from the new stand, but I don't think we need a dedicated family stand.

I might be on my own with this one though - and that's why the club need to start talking about what fans want. It may actually be a more common opinion amongst fans that they want a family stand over a home end, who knows!

It’s a tough one, if they did move or downscale I’d say possibly both corners, if they just scrap it they’ll hopefully go with family tickets around the ground

It's also the stand were they put large groups of kids who get free tickets.

The club need to discuss this strategy now and see what people would like to see. In my mind you don't need a family stand, but you do need appropriate pricing for families to come to games and this is securing our future fan base. The new North Stand needs to be attractive to those who want to sing and make an atmosphere, and tickets will then open up elsewhere in the stadium and those in the family stand should be financially compensated for moving. They should have their current price (or price at the time) honoured wherever they move to, unless it's cheaper.

I don't think you have to completely exclude kids from the new stand, but I don't think we need a dedicated family stand.

I might be on my own with this one though - and that's why the club need to start talking about what fans want. It may actually be a more common opinion amongst fans that they want a family stand over a home end, who knows!

The family stand is pretty much dead now. The club have slowly diluted it with adults again. The family stand concept was an admirable idea, but it didn't really work. I think the kids would love being part of a loud and proper home end where they can join in the singing instead of looking at their game boys or whatever they bring with them to the family stand. After all, most of us grew up on the Kippax terrace alongside adults. And we all look back at that with fond memories, even as a kids.

Last edited:
It’s a tough one, if they did move or downscale I’d say possibly both corners, if they just scrap it they’ll hopefully go with family tickets around the ground
Family tickets all around would be better imo. When I was a kid I learnt how to support the team from the adults around me as it was way before family stands.
Gangs of kids eating sweets maybe taken along by a half interested parent don't really add much imo.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.