FA Cup Final 2024 | Manchester Derby | Sat 25 May 3:00pm

I think those who did the hard yards when we had no real prospect of winning anything for thirty five years, save promotion and the odd derby, are all of vintage years and as such priorities change a bit.

I know mine have. Back then even getting to a semi final would have been a huge event and Wembley an unimaginable dream. Therefore demand would have been huge. Just look at the third tier play off final against Gillingham. We sold over 46,000 tickets and could probably have sold double that. All of us prayed we'd see us win one major trophy before we died, just one. Fast forward 25 years and we've now won that many I've actually lost count.

So our dreams have come true ten times over and more. We are not spoiled or jaded by success but we are happy and satisfied. Sure more is great but that aching hunger has been sated.

Now travelling a round trip of 400+ miles to a difficult to get to overpriced stadium when you've done it multiple times isn't as appealing as it was. When you're younger you can rough it, shrug off the inconvenience and tiredness. You usually go with loads of mates and make a weekend of it. At a certain age sadly you've lost a few and others have either stopped going or you've lost touch over the years. It's not the buzz it once was.
This hit home starkly to me at last years final. Forced to get a coach for the first time in decades it was not a pleasant experience. We won of course, which just about made it bearable, but if we'd lost it would have been purgatory.
The never ending uncertainty with train strikes and the prospect of another coach trip had me debating whether to bother this year. I looked at flights but they were extortionate as were hotels. The official train direct to Wembley central swung it for me. No mixing with rags, hopefully faster and more comfortable and a 20 minute walk to the ground. Expensive yes but hey I'm not getting any younger so how often will I get the chance to go? Our recent success could dry up too so I have to grab it while I can.

The mantle has been passed to the younger generation now. It's up to them to get behind the lads, do the hard yards, travel the miles, rough it. Sure a few of us old boys will still do what we can when we can but it's on their shoulders to carry it on.

For the youngsters though my message is this. When you have to.push past one of us walking a bit more slowly now, or think we're a boring old fart on occasion when you're throwing drinks about, remember we've been there, seen it and worn the T-shirt. Us sticking with it through the shit times are why we all get to enjoy the good ones now. Up the Blues and here's to smashing the rags in the final!
Great post. I think many of us are in exactly the same position.

Not sure how he’s managed a ticket without a membership number to be honest but if you want to go enough people tend to find a way.
It didn’t work like that. The lead booker was sent the link to download the tickets. I bought two tickets for myself and my wife using our points. She decided not to travel and I simply sent the link for the ticket to my son. He has a membership number and has travelled to every home Champions League game since the first season in 2011-12.

He didn’t need to use his supporters’ number to download the ticket just the email link.

I think those who did the hard yards when we had no real prospect of winning anything for thirty five years, save promotion and the odd derby, are all of vintage years and as such priorities change a bit.

I know mine have. Back then even getting to a semi final would have been a huge event and Wembley an unimaginable dream. Therefore demand would have been huge. Just look at the third tier play off final against Gillingham. We sold over 46,000 tickets and could probably have sold double that. All of us prayed we'd see us win one major trophy before we died, just one. Fast forward 25 years and we've now won that many I've actually lost count.

So our dreams have come true ten times over and more. We are not spoiled or jaded by success but we are happy and satisfied. Sure more is great but that aching hunger has been sated.

Now travelling a round trip of 400+ miles to a difficult to get to overpriced stadium when you've done it multiple times isn't as appealing as it was. When you're younger you can rough it, shrug off the inconvenience and tiredness. You usually go with loads of mates and make a weekend of it. At a certain age sadly you've lost a few and others have either stopped going or you've lost touch over the years. It's not the buzz it once was.
This hit home starkly to me at last years final. Forced to get a coach for the first time in decades it was not a pleasant experience. We won of course, which just about made it bearable, but if we'd lost it would have been purgatory.
The never ending uncertainty with train strikes and the prospect of another coach trip had me debating whether to bother this year. I looked at flights but they were extortionate as were hotels. The official train direct to Wembley central swung it for me. No mixing with rags, hopefully faster and more comfortable and a 20 minute walk to the ground. Expensive yes but hey I'm not getting any younger so how often will I get the chance to go? Our recent success could dry up too so I have to grab it while I can.

The mantle has been passed to the younger generation now. It's up to them to get behind the lads, do the hard yards, travel the miles, rough it. Sure a few of us old boys will still do what we can when we can but it's on their shoulders to carry it on.

For the youngsters though my message is this. When you have to.push past one of us walking a bit more slowly now, or think we're a boring old fart on occasion when you're throwing drinks about, remember we've been there, seen it and worn the T-shirt. Us sticking with it through the shit times are why we all get to enjoy the good ones now. Up the Blues and here's to smashing the rags in the final!
Done the hard yards myself, know now I can die happy after the years from 2011 onwards. Just watched Attack on Wembley on Net Flicks, scary I'm vastly to old for that carry on. A brave Italian describes how he had to defend his daughter, a rag from Shropshire boasts of how forced his way in. Looked like law and order had completely broken down. For 30 years I went to some very dodgy spots with City but with little change from seventy have to accept I'm past it. Have to hand over to the younger generation after what I saw at last year's finals think their doing a pretty good job of it.

I didn’t bother this time for the semi but when I way up the miles I’ve done in the third and second division, sitting in the Millwall end when we were banned , or the Leeds end , Liverpool end , sat with the great unwashed in Trafford etc etc then hopefully I get a pardon from the JLC’S and those who’ve only ever known success.
I was on holiday in Spain when we played that Millwall game, the newspaper the next day showed one of our players (SWP?) saluting the empty away stand as though the fans were there, but you actually were!

It wasn't simply a case of Wembley'd out. We had 2 potential cup finals a month later which would have cost in excess of £1000. Have to draw the line somewhere
Yep, reckon the two Wembley trips and Istanbul cost me about £1500 plus a £950 all inclusive holiday for Mrs H with her friends, not cheap at all.

I was on holiday in Spain when we played that Millwall game, the newspaper the next day showed one of our players (SWP?) saluting the empty away stand as though the fans were there, but you actually were!
was Huckerby - i was there too, sat on my hands... Millwall were out for blood

Done the hard yards myself, know now I can die happy after the years from 2011 onwards. Just watched Attack on Wembley on Net Flicks, scary I'm vastly to old for that carry on. A brave Italian describes how he had to defend his daughter, a rag from Shropshire boasts of how forced his way in. Looked like law and order had completely broken down. For 30 years I went to some very dodgy spots with City but with little change from seventy have to accept I'm past it. Have to hand over to the younger generation after what I saw at last year's finals think their doing a pretty good job of it.

Yes great atmosphere last year.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.