Anybody played pro or semi-pro on here?

First real team was Rangers youth team, got a few offers in from Crystal Palace, Aberdeem and Linfield!

Chose to decline all three, Linfield isn't the nicest teams to play for, Aberdeen was too much of a move for my family to make and I always said the only club i'd play for in England was City. :P

Months later, got released by Rangers and took a break from football to concentrate on my studies. Bad, bad move and now I'm stuck playing 5's, 7's and occasional Sunday team with old folk and fat bastards!

Have got a law degree though!

monkey-trousers said:
kippaxblue76 said:
Can you tell us the names of all the players please mate, recognise some but not all, cheers.

From top left: Ian Scott, Can't remember (think his second name might have been Chisnell?), Something Crompton, Dave White, Ian Brightwell, Not Sure.

From bottom left: Andy Hinchcliffe, Not Sure, Paul something (his dad reminded me of Richard Dreyfuss), Matt? something, monkey-trousers.

I've just realised I need to start taking vitamin b.

Can anyone help me here? It was about 26yrs ago.

Here you go mate it was Steve Crompton the keeper, the others to keep your identity hidden look like they could be Steve Mills, Steve Macauley, Dave Boyd, Andy Thackeray and wasn't Paul Moulden there about that time?, to give you a memory jog.

Played at Blackpool for a couple of years at reserve and youth level , played with the likes of James Quinn , John hills , Brian griffiths and Kevin sheedy played against Jamie carragher Tony warner Damian duff mike newell shay given and a few more besides . Went on to play semi pro for a few local clubs , flixton when they were in the unibond league , Salford city , Woodley Sports and played over 200 games for Chadderton with the highlight being a direct free kick that flew in against FC ****** at Boundary park in front off 2,500 to reveal my this is our city t- shirt , there are pictures and a video somewhere

had plenty of trials, Preston, Sunderland, Wrexham, Oldham and a few others. Captained Rochdale U15s. Got offered a semi-pro contract with Curzon Ashton when I was 19 and I turned it down to carry on playing with my mates and watching City on Saturdays. Probably the worst decision of my life I reckon.

I play for salford city but currently out with a second cartilage/meniscus injury its hard trying to juggle games on a saturday.. But im more injury prone than anyone so i dont miss many

Infuriatingly my Dad was offered trials at City when he was a teenager. He went to school in Didsbury with the likes of David Threlfall (Frank Gallagher Shameless) and he said Paul Hart went as well but in different year or something. My Dad turned down the trials, he wasn't interested in playing football, his Dad didn't see it as a real job worth pursuing. Threlfall went on to get a contract and then got sold to Brighton I think. My Dad's cousins had successful trials up at Newcastle and I suffered too many injuries to ever make it, went from rapid pace and not much else to good technical ability and lack of pace, unfortunately not had both together until recently, and its far too late! As for Paul Hart, my Dad has no idea how he made a career out of football.

monk1976 said:
haha so to sum up, we're all shit? Trials here trials there, but no one ever actually got THROUGH the trials then?

I played for the Griffin Growlers second team, midfield domino....

Did that mean you fell over when pushed?

I'm Sunday League standard, at best. My grandad however had trials at City, and was offered a professional contract (as a goalkeeper), unfortunately the Nazi's then invaded Poland and he was called up. One American friendly fire incident later (involving a bomber dropping it's payload all over the hill my grandad was hidden on, in his role as spotter for the artillery, whilst trying to outrun a German fighter) and a hole drilled in his skull to release the pressure (he had a golf ball sized dint in his forehead until the day he died) and his footballing career was over before it started. Shame really, he had a proper 1940's/1950's footballers name too, Wilf West!

KenTheLandlord said:
monkey-trousers said:
From top left: Ian Scott, Can't remember (think his second name might have been Chisnell?), Something Crompton, Dave White, Ian Brightwell, Not Sure.

From bottom left: Andy Hinchcliffe, Not Sure, Paul something (his dad reminded me of Richard Dreyfuss), Matt? something, monkey-trousers.

I've just realised I need to start taking vitamin b.

Can anyone help me here? It was about 26yrs ago.

Here you go mate it was Steve Crompton the keeper, the others to keep your identity hidden look like they could be Steve Mills, Steve Macauley, Dave Boyd, Andy Thackeray and wasn't Paul Moulden there about that time?, to give you a memory jog.

Cheers Ken. Steve Mills definately played in the team, but isn't on that picture. At the time, he was the most promising prospect, having played for England schoolboys, but he seemed to miss a lot of matches. (Think he may have lived quite far away..Sheffield area?) As far as I am aware Paul Moulden didn't play while I was there, but at 14/15 yrs old they were just a bunch of lads to me at the time, I didn't realise that so many of them were going to make it. The names you've provided certainly ring a bell though. Steve Crompton's dad was a great character. I think the guy top right could be Dave Boyd? The guy with his eyes shut, Steve Macauley?

The team was run by a bloke called Mike Grimsley, well known in the Wythenshawe amateur football scene around the 80's. He was a top bloke and I owe him a good few pints!

And for the record, I do remember Barry Bennell, but I never got in the showers when he was around ;-)

Thanks again Ken.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.