Scottish independence

Mëtal Bikër said:
johnmc said:
Its been ruddy good politics though really - look at the turnout. Amazing really.

Anyway what is the "West Lothian Question" people refer to?
At present, Scottish, Welsh and Northern Irish MP's have a say and can vote on matters solely involving England.
English MP's, however do NOT have the right to cast a vote or have a say on issues solely involving the other countries in the union. That right belongs to, in the case of Scotland, Scottish MP's only.

It's a call for establishing an English Parliament.

Some Tory MP's are calling for an English Parliament mirroring the Scottish Parliament. Separate elections, a separate building, an English First Minister, its own civil service etc. I don't think that will happen the costs will be huge and I don't think there is sufficient appetite among the English for that.

In the short term they'll probably just introduce restrictions on non English MP's voting on English only matters. With some token devolution of powers to the regions.

The masochist in me is looking forward to the day that Clegg announces that he has agreed to form a coalition with the Labour Party in which he will be deputy PM (on Mon, Wed & Fri) . Whilst also announcing that he has agreed to form an alliance with the Tories (on Tues & Thurs) to implement their jointly agreed programme of English only legislation.

nimrod said:
20sbc07 said:
nimrod said:
Unbelievable

The moaning kilt wearing c**ts get the chance to fuck us English off for good and what do they do the mard twats ?

It was never about getting rid of the English or even hating England.
We look at Norway for example, they have less resources than Scotland, less oil, less exports and they still manage to be richer per person, have free healthcare, free schools, a better standard of living, lower unemployment rate and the average Norwegian is roughly £14k per year better off than the average scot. I voted Yes because I believe we could have had that.

The thing that swayed the vote was Cameron's offer of more powers for Scotland, more control over how our country is run and how our money is spent. If that had been an option, I would have voted for it. I don't believe Cameron's offer is real but he managed to convince enough people so now we'll wait and see.

I hate to think what will happen if we don't get those powers, right now there's 1.6million unhappy people, that number will go up massively if it turns out he was bullshitting.

yeah but bollocks to money

Where is the Scottish pride in being an independent nation, the Braveheart mentality ?

You guys had the chance to be your own country, to be truly free of the English and theyre rules and laws and gentry , to be a nation in your own right, and youve blown it for a few extra powers, pathetic..
The bit of Scot in me feels let down

20sbc07 said:
GazC said:
20sbc07 said:
We look at Norway for example, they have less resources than Scotland, less oil, less exports and they still manage to be richer per person, have free healthcare, free schools, a better standard of living, lower unemployment rate and the average Norwegian is roughly £14k per year better off than the average scot. I voted Yes because I believe we could have had that.

The thing that swayed the vote was Cameron's offer of more powers for Scotland, more control over how our country is run and how our money is spent. If that had been an option, I would have voted for it. I don't believe Cameron's offer is real but he managed to convince enough people so now we'll wait and see.

I hate to think what will happen if we don't get those powers, right now there's 1.6million unhappy people, that number will go up massively if it turns out he was bullshitting.

Are you plucking your figures for oil production out of thin-air? Norway produces 2 million barrels a day, more than twice what the UK does - not Scotland, but the entire UK - it also produces more gas than the UK. But that's besides the point, how many banks do you think would have registered in Scotland? What do you think the corporation tax income of the banking/financial sector is compared to oil?
What would you have done if Shetland and Orkney, who accounted for almost a no vote of 67%, had started their own independence movement when they realised they may have been better off outside of iScotland? Increased Irn Bru production?

Why are you using Norway as your example for public spending? Did you want to see £11 pints introduced in Scotland too?

You were sold a false dream that, thankfully, enough of the population recognised for what it was.

Are you plucking your figures for oil production out of thin-air? Norway produces 2 million barrels a day, more than twice what the UK does - not Scotland, but the entire UK - it also produces more gas than the UK.
At present yes, until trident is removed, any oil company will tell you there's more than 100 years worth of premium grade oil on the west coast which can't be touched until trident is removed. Shell have already stated they're willing to invest billions into scottish oil.

Source? Oh right, moving on then.

But that's besides the point, how many banks do you think would have registered in Scotland?
I was happy when the banks said they were going to register in england, it would keep our money safe during the shit time's we would have had at the start of independence.

Wait, what? You had no plan for a currency if a CU wasn't accepted by Westminster, which it wouldn't have been. Not only would the politicians not entertain it, but neither would the BoE.

Why are you using Norway as your example for public spending? Did you want to see £11 pints introduced in Scotland too?
It's £8 a pint in norway, I've been. Companies charge what people can afford, they charge £8 because the people are so financially better off they can afford to pay it.

http://www.scotsman.no/ - £9.94 in an aptly named bar; I've paid £11 in nightclubs. Regardless, it's not supply and demand, nor disposable income responsible for the prices; it's tax. Why does Norway tax alcohol so much given it's energy surplus? Is it now dawning on you?

Anyway it's over now, the majority have voted. We just need to ensure that we get what was promised by cameron.

There is something else though, on the wider thing, and I've had the odd message from colleagues overseas about it, and that's genuine awe at what happened here. A 300 year old state peacefully debated the issues, held a vote on it, again peacefully, and then accepted that result.

In the greater round, it's something for everyone to be rather proud of. There's genuine amazement and a sense of being deeply impressed about that.

Democracy in action is a truly magnificent thing.

20sbc07 said:
Are you plucking your figures for oil production out of thin-air? Norway produces 2 million barrels a day, more than twice what the UK does - not Scotland, but the entire UK - it also produces more gas than the UK.
At present yes, until trident is removed, any oil company will tell you there's more than 100 years worth of premium grade oil on the west coast which can't be touched until trident is removed. Shell have already stated they're willing to invest billions into scottish oil.

But that's besides the point, how many banks do you think would have registered in Scotland?
I was happy when the banks said they were going to register in england, it would keep our money safe during the shit time's we would have had at the start of independence.

It's £8 a pint in norway, I've been. Companies charge what people can afford, they charge £8 because the people are so financially better off they can afford to pay it.

Anyway it's over now, the majority have voted. We just need to ensure that we get what was promised by cameron.

With respect, your assessment seems to be highly simplistic. To respond to others slagging off the voters, well, I respect the Scottish for thinking more than the oil money analogy that you make.

Furthermore, I have even heard right wing Tories say they will honour the promises made.

The great irony is that much of the large majority that voted NO will have been English people happily living in Scotland. I know a few. They love the place. Please stop obsessing about oil rigs and getting rid of the Nuclear Submarines [that's clearly a sub-agenda], take a deep breath and think positive thoughts. I personally know multi-millionaire business people in Glasgow who will be delighted at the result, and they are as proud of being Scottish as you clearly on. Think on, my friend. There's a bigger picture, as 55% of Scottish voters know already.

Amazing how the yes camp are still going on about scare stories and how the people who voted no are not true Scots. Maybe in a few years they will realise how lucky they are that the majority of their country used their heads instead of their hearts.

nimrod said:
nimrod said:
20sbc07 said:

yeah but bollocks to money

Where is the Scottish pride in being an independent nation, the Braveheart mentality ?

You guys had the chance to be your own country, to be truly free of the English and theyre rules and laws and gentry , to be a nation in your own right, and youve blown it for a few extra powers, pathetic..
The bit of Scot in me feels let down
got to agree ... we shat it
the first ever country NOT to vote for independence ... oh the shame

Ifwecouldjust....... said:
On a different tack though..........

What gives the political parties the right to make the standard of living in Scotland better than in the UK? was that in their manifesto?

...better standard of living for all, apart from all the child-poverty-white-trash from the big city sink estates - who all voted "yes"...

well, clearly not all, though you get my drift...

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.