“City have got no history”

Most Home Points - 55

Why’s this one been scrubbed out?

The wallet snatchers could only equal it with their draw against Burnley.

19 games, 18 wins and 1 draw.

Same as our season 11/12 when we only drew at home to Sunderland after being 3-1 down late on.

People often get this wrong - it's not outside Wembley because FA Cup finals at the Crystal Palace were higher. The 84,569 is the largest provincial crowd for any game in England (i.e. provincial means outside of London) AND the largest crowd on an English club ground (as neither Wembley nor the Crystal Palace are officially club grounds) AND any game outside of Wembley & the Crystal Palace. The bit in bold is the version I usually use.

What's even more remarkable about this record is that City have actually held it since 1924 not 1934 - the 84,569 was in 1934 but it broke City's own record of 76,166 achieved in 1924 (Maine Road's first season). So since the very first season that City have had a capacity above 45,000 we have held the record crowd on an English ground!

Note that all City's top 25 attendances are greater than the highest ever recorded by Liverpool and many other clubs. It’s worth noting that if we exclude games at Wembley and other clubs’ games at our own Maine Road stadium, City’s fifth highest attendance is still greater than all the other clubs apart from Aston Villa, Chelsea and Everton. That is an incredible record and just one of many stats/boasts that will be in my new book: https://www.conkereditions.co.uk/product/manchester-city-folklore-special-subscriber-offer/
Fascinating, thanks for posting this stuff.

The records you mention that City have held down the years are even more remarkable when you consider the fact that fans didn't travel much to away games until the late 60s onwards (therefore, not much opportunity for clubs to cash in on away fans by bumping up ticket prices in those days!)

And the revisionism that's come with the Premier League does my head in when statisticians and fans go on about recent attendances at Wembley for some Spurs games. As you say, the record books state 'provincial club stadia', taking Wembley (especially when you've 'papered the house' with cheap ticket packages etc..) out of the equation.

National records that City now hold (some from 'The Centurions' season, some from others). As you can see, we hold almost every seasonal record worth having in English football. So much for a club with no history.

Most Points - 100

Most Home Points - 55

Most Away Points - 50

Most Wins - 32

Most Home Wins - 18

Most Away Wins - 16

Most Consecutive League Wins - 18

Most Consecutive Home League Wins -20

Most Consecutive Away League Wins - 11

Most Consecutive Wins (all comps) – 20

Most Consecutive Home Wins (all comps) – 20

Biggest Title Winning Margin - 19

Smallest PL Title Winning Margin - 0

Most Goals Scored (all comps) - 156

Most Goals Scored at Home (all comps) – 96

Most Goals Scored Away (all comps) - 66

Most League Goals Scored - 106

Best Goal Difference - 79

Best Away Goal Difference - 32

Do all these records still stand?

Fascinating, thanks for posting this stuff.

The records you mention that City have held down the years are even more remarkable when you consider the fact that fans didn't travel much to away games until the late 60s onwards (therefore, not much opportunity for clubs to cash in on away fans by bumping up ticket prices in those days!)

And the revisionism that's come with the Premier League does my head in when statisticians and fans go on about recent attendances at Wembley for some Spurs games. As you say, the record books state 'provincial club stadia', taking Wembley (especially when you've 'papered the house' with cheap ticket packages etc..) out of the equation.

My dad (United fan) attended the Stoke FA Cup match with his brother (City fan). He said loads of people climbed over the wall so there were probably more than 84,000 there and they never saw a ball kicked because they couldn't see anything. He said there were thousands of Stoke fans there and neutrals. The FA Cup was huge in those days and an added attraction was the new star of English football...Stanley Matthews. It must have been amazing.

My dad (United fan) attended the Stoke FA Cup match with his brother (City fan). He said loads of people climbed over the wall so there were probably more than 84,000 there and they never saw a ball kicked because they couldn't see anything. He said there were thousands of Stoke fans there and neutrals. The FA Cup was huge in those days and an added attraction was the new star of English football...Stanley Matthews. It must have been amazing.
Indeed.. Matthews was the big draw that particular day. Like your Dad, mine was there too with his pal from Hulme, Jimmy.. both sneaked in near the end after doing their paper rounds for the ‘Evening Chronicle’, then running back to the Boundary Lane printworks to get the green football final scores edition to sell on Lloyd Street as the crowd left the ground. My uncle (a couple of years older) paid to get in and stood on the Platt Lane stand.

Indeed.. Matthews was the big draw that particular day. Like your Dad, mine was there too with his pal from Hulme, Jimmy.. both sneaked in near the end after doing their paper rounds for the ‘Evening Chronicle’, then running back to the Boundary Lane printworks to get the green football final scores edition to sell on Lloyd Street as the crowd left the ground. My uncle (a couple of years older) paid to get in and stood on the Platt Lane stand.
Well I first heard the story from my dad when I was a teenager and it no doubt became more vivid in the telling over time. But he, and my uncle, used to reminisce about that Stoke match (they were both teenagers at the time) One thing I do remember is that they said it was total chaos outside Maine Road and some people climbed in using workman's ladders! They got in the stadium but never made it onto the terraces because it was too packed.

History is only recognised by people after a certain point. The nostalgia merchants will be wanking over Pep's city team in 20 years.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.