“The work of God”?

That's exactly it - anyone who can actually think can very easily unpick religion.

I can't believe it still exists in this day and age......
Me neither.

We started going through The Enlightenment in the late 1600s, but the grip monotheistic religions have over the masses has meant that, still, 300+ years later, Bronze Age-Medieval fairy tales are still being believed and followed.

But atheism is the most accelerating religious status in the world.

More than half of Great Britain declare themselves as having “no religion” with 25% being convinced atheists; in South America “no religion” has increased from 2% in the 1990s to over 8% (actually up to 37% in Uruguay, with 10% of the country being convinced atheists); in North America “no religion” has risen from 16% in 2007 to 23% in 2018.

In Africa and Asia, while there are still countries that have 0% atheists and non-religious, there are countries like Eygypt (4%), South Africa (4%) and South Sudan (6%) who are convinced atheists; and in Asia counties like Iran (5%), Khazakstan (8%), Philippines (20%), Japan (34%) and China (61%) who are convinced atheists.

Being convinced there is no god(s) is growing. However, in a run of 300+ years it’s not moved very quickly when science and history has shown religion up to be fabricated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Me neither.

We started going through The Enlightenment in the late 1600s, but the grip monotheistic religions have over the masses has meant that, still, 300+ years later, Bronze Age-medieval fairy tales are still being believed and followed.

More than half of Great Britain declare themselves as having “no religion” with 25% being convinced atheists; in South America “no religion” has increased from 2% in the 1990s to over 8% (actually up to 37% in Uruguay, with 10% of the country being convinced atheists); in North America “no religion” has risen from 16% in 2007 to 23% in 2018.

In Africa and Asia, while there are still countries that have 0% atheists and non-religious, there are countries like Eygypt (4%), South Africa (4%) and South Sudan (6%) who are convinced atheists; and in Asia counties like Iran (5%), Khazakstan (8%), Philippines (20%), Japan (34%) and China (61%) who are convinced atheists.

Being convinced there is no god(s) is growing. However, in a run of 300+ years it’s not moved very quickly when science and history has shown religion up to be fabricated.
Very informative post........

img_8894.jpg

Me neither.

We started going through The Enlightenment in the late 1600s, but the grip monotheistic religions have over the masses has meant that, still, 300+ years later, Bronze Age-Medieval fairy tales are still being believed and followed.

Pretty sure this won't be your thing but will write anyway. You mention enlightenment - most might think of the opposite of this as 'dark' but some might experience this opposite as more like 'heavy.' This heaviness may feel like a dullness, lack of vibrancy, tension, burden of life, emotional pain etc Maybe not so important how one experiences the heaviness but rather how best to deal with it. Hold on, try and and fix it, let it go? Each to their own. But if one chooses to let go then one may naturally discover more enlightened forms of science, religion, art etc Might even speak of this. Ahhh, but then someone might say, for example, I KNOW what religion is, and it isn't what you speak of. Bit of a problem. Does one go back to the heaviness, so as to fit into the this 'right' definition of religion, or let go of the heaviness for good even if one's ideas of religion may be seen as wrong? Maybe just best to walk on.

Along these lines, if people are choosing to let go of unenlightened religion,and so finding their own way to light through other forms, then great. On the other hand I would question whether (some) science has really 'proved' the non-existence of enlightened religion or whether it s actually incapable of being aware of it, so decided it can't be truth. Have seen some scientists get in all sorts of tangles when it comes to the likes of plant medicines and how knowledge of this was obtained. Different form, perhaps but similar ideas and questions

Pretty sure this won't be your thing but will write anyway. You mention enlightenment - most might think of the opposite of this as 'dark' but some might experience this opposite as more like 'heavy.' This heaviness may feel like a dullness, lack of vibrancy, tension, burden of life, emotional pain etc Maybe not so important how one experiences the heaviness but rather how best to deal with it. Hold on, try and and fix it, let it go? Each to their own. But if one chooses to let go then one may naturally discover more enlightened forms of science, religion, art etc Might even speak of this. Ahhh, but then someone might say, for example, I KNOW what religion is, and it isn't what you speak of. Bit of a problem. Does one go back to the heaviness, so as to fit into the this 'right' definition of religion, or let go of the heaviness for good even if one's ideas of religion may be seen as wrong? Maybe just best to walk on.

Along these lines, if people are choosing to let go of unenlightened religion,and so finding their own way to light through other forms, then great. On the other hand I would question whether (some) science has really 'proved' the non-existence of enlightened religion or whether it s actually incapable of being aware of it, so decided it can't be truth. Have seen some scientists get in all sorts of tangles when it comes to the likes of plant medicines and how knowledge of this was obtained. Different form, perhaps but similar ideas and questions
Is that not more a case of people being in-tune with their environment or 'with the Universe' etc as opposed to parables of Jesus turning water into wine which people go to church for?

I know I sound a bit flippant but you know what I mean.........

arfur we've been through this all before science has not disproved any religion nor has any religion proved it is true, the burden of proof lies completely within the person/persons making the claim
on a basic level science will then investigate those claims and see if any of it stacks up.

for your personal enlightenment can you demonstrate this to a wider audience or is it just personal to you

Is that not more a case of people being in-tune with their environment or 'with the Universe' etc as opposed to parables of Jesus turning water into wine which people go to church for?

I know I sound a bit flippant but you know what I mean.........
Yes. And that is what 'some' religion is about - the latter is 'a' way to know the former. Not the only way. But the latter can become the goal and the only way, in the minds of some, at the expense of awareness of the former. Is kinda curious? But I'd suggest that it is not only the field of religion that can be like this. 'My scientific ideas about the universe, are more important than being in tune with the universe.' On the other hand, if one says that being 'in tune' with the universe is 'light,' and this is the goal, then there is the possibility of more enlightened religion, science, business, politics and relationships in general. This seems wonderful for me. And it raises the possibility of, for example, a more enlightened medical field, in which new solutions may be found to currently 'unsolvable' problems. Some may welcome these new solutions and ideas, some may not. Some might really go for it, others fall away. How to describe what's going on? Maybe speak of ideas as seeds, and how they grow or not, according to how they are received. This theme could be found in any field of study/practice, and so could be said to be universal not just, for example, religious.

70's ?
Glasgow sounds pretty much like Dublin.
50 years ago now, I know but the the difference for today's generation. Our kids don't know or care how we cleared the way for them.

Yes in the 70's. Not going was never an option for us kids at that time. Our mothers were the crack troops of the parish and they all worked together in a network to ensure you had to be very clever to evade capture whilst missing mass. And those were the days were if you got a bollicking from one of them, you wouldn't even think of giving them lip, or telling your mum. That would guarantee two bollockings. The young today, as you say, haven't a fucking clue how much of a battle it was to win the choice not to go. I should be up for a fucking medal. Me being a stubborn **** all my life ensured I stuck to guns that were not conducive to an easy time. When I think back on the shit I got it seems as if I was living in the bastard dark ages. :)

arfur we've been through this all before science has not disproved any religion nor has any religion proved it is true, the burden of proof lies completely within the person/persons making the claim
on a basic level science will then investigate those claims and see if any of it stacks up.

for your personal enlightenment can you demonstrate this to a wider audience or is it just personal to you

If the same scope should be given to me as people who believe a man lived inside a fish for four days, then they have to believe me when I say three sex crazed beautiful sirens visit me every night to shag my brains out. One of them is a bit mad, but, nice in her own way. I can't prove it, it seems mental, but it's no dafter than believing in literally thousands of aspects of the big book of pish.

I need to go now as I'm gubbed after an all nght sex sesh.. hallelujah and pass the lube.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.