1 Minute of Clapping

goat867

Why o Why has this replaced the 1 minutes silence? I can understand why a minutes clapping would be appropriate in certain situations where lack of crowd particapation is expected but I think City showed in the Munich match that it can be done even in those situations. It is crazy how a figure such as Sir Bobby, a figure loved by everyone, can't be honoured in the proper traditional fashion even at St James Park.

goat867 said:
Why o Why has this replaced the 1 minutes silence? I can understand why a minutes clapping would be appropriate in certain situations where lack of crowd particapation is expected but I think City showed in the Munich match that it can be done even in those situations. It is crazy how a figure such as Sir Bobby, a figure loved by everyone, can't be honoured in the proper traditional fashion even at St James Park.

They don't trust the rags to honour it.

Why not a minute of applause? Giving a standing ovation means something is good, Sir Bobby was a fooking legend.

I think its as fitting as a minutes silence tbh.

(in this situation)

TFC said:
Why not a minute of applause? Giving a standing ovation means something is good, Sir Bobby was a fooking legend.

I think its as fitting as a minutes silence tbh.

(in this situation)

There is clapping throughout the entire match but a minutes silence amongst so many people is rare and I feel far more respectful. There is nothing quite like a minutes silence for me it is a very strange and sureal environment that allows people to properly respect what ever is being remembered.

There are two ways to address the issue of remembrance: One is to celebrate the life, the other is to silent reflect on the tragedy that befell someone.
M*nich was clearly the latter, but, personally, I think Bobby Robson's was the former. In addition, of course, clapping someone off the "field of play" IS a long standing football/sports tradition.

My own father died in June and we held a minute of silence in church, even followed by a referee's whistle (he was a footballer) and, when it came time to carry the coffin out, my sister said, "and now please rise and show your appreciation for a player who played a blinder but now has to leave the field of play." At that, the whole church stood and clapped him as we carried him out. We all thought it was a wonderful FOOTBALL tribute and were complimented on what is often an awkward transition from service to hearse.

I realize this is a matter of personal choice and tastes, so there is no "right answer," but for personal tributes to footballing greats, it seems a minute of clapping and singing "there's only one ............" is a fitting NEW tradition.

Respectfully.

The minutes silence is nonsense. The way a football fan shows his appreciation to anything is to sing, cheer and clap. Todays show of respect to Sir Bobby was as moving as ive ever seen.True football supporters (from both sides) showing respect to a football legend.

Lets not get carried away. Robson was not a legend at all. An average manager at best. A nice bloke but no legend at all.

kevinmcfc said:
Lets not get carried away. Robson was not a legend at all. An average manager at best. A nice bloke but no legend at all.
You are so wrong it's untrue had he come to us I would have been made up. He did well where ever he went and was so unlucky with England.

Anyway back to this thread, I remember when channel 4 first started showing Sira a. A minutes applause has always been the tradition over there and I liked the idea you are showing your appreciation for someones efforts what they did for the game. In the case of a tragedy then yes a minutes silence

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.