1 Minute of Clapping

I thought it was a cracking tribute the applause today, the chant of "only one Bobby Robson" from our end filled me with pride. you couldn't show that appreciation with a silence.

ChicagoBlue said:
There are two ways to address the issue of remembrance: One is to celebrate the life, the other is to silent reflect on the tragedy that befell someone.
M*nich was clearly the latter, but, personally, I think Bobby Robson's was the former. In addition, of course, clapping someone off the "field of play" IS a long standing football/sports tradition.

My own father died in June and we held a minute of silence in church, even followed by a referee's whistle (he was a footballer) and, when it came time to carry the coffin out, my sister said, "and now please rise and show your appreciation for a player who played a blinder but now has to leave the field of play." At that, the whole church stood and clapped him as we carried him out. We all thought it was a wonderful FOOTBALL tribute and were complimented on what is often an awkward transition from service to hearse.

I realize this is a matter of personal choice and tastes, so there is no "right answer," but for personal tributes to footballing greats, it seems a minute of clapping and singing "there's only one ............" is a fitting NEW tradition.

Respectfully.

very well put and a sweet story. sorry for your loss aswell

it all got me thinking about something this. when ferguson dies..who in all honesty when you take off the blue tinted glasses is the best manager in the world and is a sir, but i think hes also a twat! but theres the blue tinted glasses back on..anyway when he dies surely there will be a minutes applause around the country like today and do you think city fans would respect it?

mcfcjosh said:
it all got me thinking about something this. when ferguson dies..who in all honesty when you take off the blue tinted glasses is the best manager in the world and is a sir, but i think hes also a twat! but theres the blue tinted glasses back on..anyway when he dies surely there will be a minutes applause around the country like today and do you think city fans would respect it?

No

mcfcjosh said:
Different situation despite his record baconface has insulted and been rude and arrogant to most clubs. Robson on the other hand was a gentleman who handled himself with a level of class Fergie Wenger Benitez etc could never do.

No-one ever had a bad word to say about Robson. He was a gent, and silence or clapping, at least we made a gesture towards the man.

The trouble with silences is that people ALWAYS ruin them by staggering in late, walking up the concourses singing into the stadium not realising there's a silence, then you get people going "shhhh", which then gets louder and suddenly the referee has to blow the whistle becuase the silence is now turning into a "shhhhing match". Then there's always someone who shouts something about their team, or sometimes the person, such as "there's only one bobby robson", which loads of other people will join in at.

Football stadium's just don't accomodate silences.

city diehard said:
I think its discrageful to have a minute of applauds, it's suppose to be reverance you don't clap at a funeral...

Sorry but it wasn't a funeral, what's your point?

TFC said:
Why not a minute of applause? Giving a standing ovation means something is good, Sir Bobby was a fooking legend.

I think its as fitting as a minutes silence tbh.

(in this situation)
agreed 100 %

city diehard said:
I think its discrageful to have a minute of applauds, it's suppose to be reverance you don't clap at a funeral...

Im sure sir Bobby's family were contacted and asked if a minutes applause would be acceptable...If this was not the case then Im sure a minutes silence would have been respected.

Just to spice this up a bit, what do you think will happen when Baconface pops his clogs!

I'll admit to despising the bastard, not because of his undoubted magnificent record as a manager, especially with the rags, b ut because he is a twat of a human being!

I will be honest when i say that i WONT be stood their clapping for him! To do so would make me a hypocrite.

What about the rest of you, because mark my words, when this day comes, his death will be marked with more crocodile tears than there was for Diana!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.