10 | Jack Grealish - 2021/22 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's used to being the fulcrum and being able to wander to get on the ball. Our strict positional game takes time to learn, the only one who doesn't really fit to the structure is De Bruyne, who we carry at times because of what he can bring.

Qualified success from Jack so far. He'll play midfield later in the season I reckon

It’s almost as though new signings take a season or two under Pep until they begin to properly shine. That can’t be brand new information, surely?

He isn’t a striker/false 9 though. If he has a poor game on the left or in the 8 position that’s fine but don’t understand why he played as the false 9 yesterday.
No issue with him playing the false 9 and understand it's not natural for him but to me he was never in the game, never wanted to be, never made decisive runs, he has to better.

Except playing with a CF means our whole pattern of play and approach work would be different and there's no way of knowing if we would produce the chances we do if we played with one.
It's something I read on here after pretty much every game regards the CF issue, people sure of the fact that we would score x amount of goals if we had one, as if it's that simple.
We are the best team in the league right now in part because of the way we set up, there are no guarantees we would be any better if we changed things to accommodate a number 9.
Dont get me wrong, it would be nice to have the option but far too much is made of the fact we haven't.
Excellent post. As you suggest and MOTD said last night, the option to have a "traditional" CF available could add 20 goals a season. It is difficult to sign a decent striker who is prepared to sit on the bench until we need a change of system in a game and why would we change a system that is not broken.

Against tough teams he should drop to the bench and against bus parkers he needs to replace Bernardo in the middle as he is not effective against low block and lacks the creativity of Jack

He's used to being the fulcrum and being able to wander to get on the ball. Our strict positional game takes time to learn, the only one who doesn't really fit to the structure is De Bruyne, who we carry at times because of what he can bring.

Qualified success from Jack so far. He'll play midfield later in the season I reckon
Yeah once he's filled Pep with the confidence that he knows how to play in the wide role he'll be granted a lot more freedom in his game. It's been the same with a lot of players when they've arrived at City under Pep.

Bad signing is harsh, a luxury signing for me, and despite been a very good player, he is not a City players, far too one paced to be a serious threat against the very best sides.
Jack Grealish sits very nicely alongside Riyad Mahrez as players who were signed without any obvious need in their position. As you say, a luxury signing.
Unlike Mahrez, Grealish is young enough to be considered to be a 'rough diamond' and not yet the finished article. Whether he has what it takes to develop and ultimately dominate his playing position at City remains to be seen.
As matters stand, he is clearly quite a few steps behind established squad players and has, at times, looked well out of his depth.
For a record £100m, it's reasonable for fans to expect to see an experienced PL / international player hit the ground running. Obviously, Jack didn’t set the price but, like it or not, he has to live up to it.
He's playing with the best of the best now and needs to raise his levels to justify a regular place in the team. The ball is firmly in his court.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.