10 | Jack Grealish - 2021/22 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
i'm disappointed by his dribbling. I thought he was a lot better at taking people on and beating them in a 1v1, something we've been missing from the wings since leroy left, but he's barely done that or even tried to do that. It reeks of instructions, which I guess have a greater goal in mind, so who am I to question!
I would also expect him to drive the ball to the opposing player and try to take it past them and not be a coward, it either works or it doesn't.

Yes. How many attacking players hit the ground running and maintained it in their first full season under Pep?

Aguero had difficulties. Mahrez had difficulties. Foden had difficulties. Jesus had difficulties. Sterling had difficulties. De Bruyne had difficulties. Bernardo had difficulties. Sané had difficulties.

The fact that he's consistently getting picked despite all the options we have should tell you the promise that Pep sees in him.

It is up to Jack to improve.
His tendency to slow everything down and prefer to wait for the defender to get into position instead of playing a quick pass isn't benefiting the team, even if his 1-1 skills occasionally mean we do craft a chance from this play.

I doubt we will be seeing him back at false 9 any time soon, barely made any runs behind.

Also I disagree with playing him in midfield, we are not a counter attacking team. We need our midfielders to be able to pass quickly, that's how we create chances for ourselves and Grealish isn't at that level currently.

So he just got to rotate LW with Foden/Sterling.

He needs to buck up, people laughed at saying Foden is clear.

In a week of big games Grealish has offered nothing

He was pretty decent against Chelsea, I thought. Agree that he didn't show up in Paris. Really wasn't helped by Pep playing him entirely out of position for large parts of yesterday's game, but he needs to do more.

And he will

Yes. How many attacking players hit the ground running and maintained it in their first full season under Pep?

Aguero had difficulties. Mahrez had difficulties. Foden had difficulties. Jesus had difficulties. Sterling had difficulties. De Bruyne had difficulties. Bernardo had difficulties. Sané had difficulties.

The fact that he's consistently getting picked despite all the options we have should tell you the promise that Pep sees in him.

Foden was coming through young.

So was Leroy.

So was Jesus.

Mahrez still isn't there yet, and isn't the player we thought we'd bought.

Aguero had little to no difficulties - Pep just messed with him.

I don't recall Kev or Raheem having many either, the later having only developed them of late.

26 years old, 100m pound player. Be honest with yourselves - you should be expecting more.

The Mahrez comparisons are apt. The low baseline he set over his first two seasons made last season look like a stunning success. Now he's back to the bench. Should we not be expecting more from a guy who cost us 60m three seasons ago?

Does he look anywhere like the player he was at Leicester, where he was the big fish in the small pond, ala Grealish at Villa? No

When we saw that team sheet yesterday which listed him on the bench, were we disappointed? No

When we were trying to win the game, were we clamouring for him to come on? No

That says it all to me.

He was pretty decent against Chelsea, I thought. Agree that he didn't show up in Paris. Really wasn't helped by Pep playing him entirely out of position for large parts of yesterday's game, but he needs to do more.

And he will
I was happy when I seen how we were lining up. Not because I thought Grealish would do a lot there but because I was confident Foden would do miles more on the left than wasted as a false 9.

Foden was coming through young.

So was Leroy.

So was Jesus.

Mahrez still isn't there yet, and isn't the player we thought we'd bought.

Aguero had little to no difficulties - Pep just messed with him.

I don't recall Kev or Raheem having many either, the later having only developed them of late.

26 years old, 100m pound player. Be honest with yourselves - you should be expecting more.

The Mahrez comparisons are apt. The low baseline he set over his first two seasons made last season look like a stunning success. Now he's back to the bench. Should we not be expecting more from a guy who cost us 60m three seasons ago?

Does he look anywhere like the player he was at Leicester, where he was the big fish in the small pond, ala Grealish at Villa? No

When we saw that team sheet yesterday which listed him on the bench, were we disappointed? No

When we were trying to win the game, were we clamouring for him to come on? No

That says it all to me.
I am not expecting more, whatsoever. He has started nearly all our games and he has done as well as I hoped. He has a high involvement in chances created, retains possession well, has a good eye for a pass, and chooses when to release it with good intelligence. His attributes have drawn more from Cancelo as the latter can overlap knowing that Grealish will not lose the ball - this creates space out wide and often centrally as both Cancelo and Grealish have to be tracked.

In terms of improvement, I would like him to show a more consistent appetite to track his opposing full-back when play is turned over; he has the athleticism to do it but I don't think it has been demanded of him in the past. I would also like him to drive at the full-back a little more often, getting to the byline or making the fullback realise that that is something he may do, creating more doubt.

I think he has made a good start but I also know that we have to be patient with new players; too many on here are immediately critical only to be made to look foolish as players come to terms with the demands of being a City player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.