10 | Jack Grealish - 2021/22 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pep is doing what he always does with new players. Protecting them by allowing the player to get comfortable in his team. The wing positions are not the hardest role in his system. He put Foden wide so he could take less responsibility and if caught with the ball not much damage could be done. You can see he is now trusting him more in a pivotal central role.

He is doing the same with Jack. Allowing him to play a safe role with very little risk to our overall build up or tactical shape. He keeps the ball better than sterling and Mahrez and his passes are more accurate.

We all want pace, pep seemingly does not or the club would have bought a like for like replacement when sane was leaving. No point getting frustrated with the approach. The boss wants to control possession they only reason we are not is down to the players not performing.

Don't want to criticise him, but I've no idea why we bought him tbh, he's just another option in an area we already had plenty, while we have literally no strikers or left backs. Spending £100m on depth in an area where he doesn't actually improve on what you've got seems madness when you have other areas that need improving.
I said this when he was being talked about as a transfer target, before the deal was actually done and I am saying the same thing now. He’s a good player (not great IMO and certainly not better than other options we already have in that position) but when everyone could see what we actually needed was a left back and a striker we spent £100m on a player we didn’t need. I will be very happy to be proven wrong but I don’t think Grealish makes us a better team which is the minimum I would expect from a £100m investment.

I said this when he was being talked about as a transfer target, before the deal was actually done and I am saying the same thing now. He’s a good player (not great IMO and certainly not better than other options we already have in that position) but when everyone could see what we actually needed was a left back and a striker we spent £100m on a player we didn’t need. I will be very happy to be proven wrong but I don’t think Grealish makes us a better team which is the minimum I would expect from a £100m investment.
Your talking too much sense for this thread my friend...prepare to be ridiculed called a clown and told your a Jack hater

it don't matter if i am a fanboy. if as a business you spend 100 mil on a asset you should also be willing to change your structure a bit to get your values with the buy. pep has not done that so much of the blame lies with him.
It’s almost certain that Pep has done a great deal of intricate things with aspects of our play to help suit Grealish and that he’s made a Grealish do to help suit us.

There are times where he’s asked Grealish to play very wide to help get Cancelo some space inside. There are times where he’s got Cancelo to stay in a certain zone to allow Bernardo and Grealish to work together up the left. There are times where Rodri shifts the play over to the right to shift the opposition defence over that way only for us to immediately seitch it back to the left where Grealish is in space. There will be a number of things that we don’t really notice as fans, compared to Pep’s level of detail.

The performance of the players is up to them to learn and understand, get right, be consistent with, and hopefully bring success. Pep has modestly said many times “don’t praise me, when the players step onto the pitch it’s them who get the results, not me”, and that works the other way too, it’s the players who don’t get the results.

Grealish has been good at times, average at others and looked a bit out of his depth at others. That’s all on him, his own ability, and his understand and application of what he’s learning from Pep… most of the time (not always!) our players are better with this after a year with Pep because Pep asks a fucking hell of a lot of his players. and playing under Pep and Pep’s tactics, learning what Pep wants, takes a long time to understand and get right.

Last edited by a moderator:

This doesn’t really mean anything. Just like most stats.

This doesn’t show that he actually should have done a lot better in a lot of other situations to actually have better stats than that. It also doesn’t show the level of difficulty of other players’ situations where they could provide key passes compared to Grealish’s. Could also just show that we are better as a team at getting Grealish into a certain situation to create a key pass than we are at other things. Could also be that the league has stronger left backs than right backs and that he’s up against lower quality on our left wing than our right wingers are.

Football is too fluid and too unpredictable with far too many variables with situations a that are too dissimilar to all other situations for stats to really matter. Football never will be a stats sport; it’s a tactics sport.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.