10 | Jack Grealish - 2021/22 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't want to criticise him, but I've no idea why we bought him tbh, he's just another option in an area we already had plenty, while we have literally no strikers or left backs. Spending £100m on depth in an area where he doesn't actually improve on what you've got seems madness when you have other areas that need improving.

Those who were desperate for him to sign of course will defend his performances despite an average but not poor contribution, and are doing so with vigour.
Playing in his present role is clearly not working. Control the ball , posture then pass inside, or a weak cross. Off the ball he doesn't make incisive runs behind the defence, or come narrow to receive, of course that may be the coach making that decision and make Jack look one dimensional(certainly yesterday). In the second half both he and Foden came in field and ran with the ball, and for a time looked much more dangerous and less prescribed.
If a wide player relies on speed then staying out wide and going outside is a positive option, for Jack it isn't and premier league defenders know this.
My answer would be to give him some freedom, let him get inside, make him take defenders on from a central position, make space for others.
Playing in that present role will not be a success against well drilled teams whatever the "Tactical times" says.

Elite players have a set of skills that should be maximised, not limited.

Last edited:
Don't want to criticise him, but I've no idea why we bought him tbh, he's just another option in an area we already had plenty, while we have literally no strikers or left backs. Spending £100m on depth in an area where he doesn't actually improve on what you've got seems madness when you have other areas that need improving.
How many times does it need to be said, signing Grealish had ZERO impact on signing anyone else.

How many times does it need to be said, signing Grealish had ZERO impact on signing anyone else.
That may or may not be true but it has had a negative effect on the team as we've had to move Foden from the position where he was ripping it up last season.

If you go back in this thread around two weeks ago, people was saying he's a great fit and we're a better team with him on the pitch and now he's now not worth it

He certainly polarises opinion amongst City fans, he's either been shit or great.
He's been neither
Exactly that. He’s not been bad at all and nowhere near great. Lovely footballer but not doing close to enough in our front 3.

I think as a collective we can be quite fickle on here on a few players. Match by match gut reactions for some (Grealish, Sterling, Mahrez… previously Gundogan, Walker and Rodri). I think better to take a holistic view. In which case, it’s clear that Sterling is in a long term patch of bad form, but Grealish has only just joined and he’s finding his feet in a completely new club and tactical system. If anything, on a holistic view, buying him was the right thing to do because he’ll be an established part of our system by the time Raz inevitably leaves.

Foden wasn’t very impactful yesterday, but all you see in his thread is posters talking about how the team should be built to utilise him more effectively. I get that he’s a local lad, city youth player, phenomenal talent, and all of that affords a special level of support, but just as we always back him to succeed, think some baseline of support is needed for everyone. Especially a player like Jack who was literally dreaming of a move to city all summer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.