10 | Jack Grealish - 2021/22 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry to disappoint you but he was not a goalscorer at Villa either.
not sure if you read what I said? I said exaactly the same. he was never a goalscorer at villa. so it makes no sense to expect him to suddenly become a goal scoring winger here.

The dilemma for me is not that he is isn't a talented skilful player, with many of the attributes needed for a pep team but his lack of goals.
How is he going to up his goalscoring to an acceptable level. He doesn't attack a goalscoring area when play is on the right, he has no ability in the air, he hasn't a particularly great shot when coming inside his defenders. He doesn't have the acceleration to go beyond the back line, nor have I seen the guile to ghost into goalscoring areas.

Was wondering what other people thought about his goalscoring potential and how he will maximize it.

Not really interested in the views of the guy who thinks he is a reincarnation.
Difficult one to answer mate unless you define acceptable? Would that be 1 in every 2 games, 3, 4 or 5?

And before you answer, bear in mind Spanish Dave Is/was a similar ish player in both position & a little bit style wise & he was a 1 in 5 player for us

Difficult one to answer mate unless you define acceptable? Would that be 1 in every 2 games, 3, 4 or 5?

And before you answer, bear in mind Spanish Dave Is/was a similar ish player in both position & a little bit style wise & he was a 1 in 5 player for us

I would think 1 in 3/4 games would be good especially if he made a similar amount of assists, and brought as much joy to my heart as David Siva)
Early days yet.

not sure if you read what I said? I said exaactly the same. he was never a goalscorer at villa. so it makes no sense to expect him to suddenly become a goal scoring winger here.

Because my original post clearly asks how he could become a regular goalscorer, I presumed your answer outling him playing in a different role was your idea of how he could score more.

He will not become a middle third dribbling midfielder anytime soon, so lets forget that particular crusade.

I would think 1 in 3/4 games would be good especially if he made a similar amount of assists, and brought as much joy to my heart as David Siva)
Early days yet.
Wow, low expectations for an acceptable amount there my friend if you really expect him to get as many assists & have a better scoring rate than r Dave??

I don’t think he’ll ever hit your incredibly high standards of acceptability, but then again I never expected Gundogan to bag 16 in a season & be our top scorer!

I’m certain his goal scoring stats will improve when he has more experience in the way we play, but I’m also sure a lot will depend on how Pep deploys him (ala Gundo last season) as Pep’s game is all about positioning & making intelligent runs, both of which can be taught.

He definitely has the talent & I think it’s going to be an enjoyable & sometimes frustrating journey seeing Jack fulfil his potential playing in a Pep team, if he can learn the positions & timing of runs Pep wants him to make. If he can nail that, I’d expect him to naturally get more goals as he’ll be in better goal scoring positions

Warning: this is a long read!

I've got Villa fans in the family, and when I asked one just after he joined how many goals I should bet on him scoring this season, the response I got was "if he hits double figures you'll be lucky".

As others have said, he didn't hit a high volume of goals at Villa, and it's not like Villa had a bunch of clinical strikers to carry that burden. Over the past couple of years he's worked on his goalscoring and slowly improved - I think he can continue to do this and may well show steady improvement, but will never deliver really big numbers. Yet strangely, I never heard Villa fans complaining about his lack of goals. He may not have scored many, but they as a team scored more and won more when he was there.

I think it can be helpful to distinguish between position and role. Let's say position is the part of the pitch a player spends most of their time, and where they can generally be expected to be in relation to their teammates, especially out of possession. And role is their function within the team - what purpose they serve, and what they're expected to deliver.

For example, Cancelo and Zinchenko can both play in the position of left-back. And while of course there's overlap in what they're expected to do, there's a pretty clear difference between what each of them delivers, and you can understand an argument for playing one or the other based on the make-up of the rest of the starting XI and the expected strengths and weaknesses of the opposition.

Or, in the centre forward position, you might deploy someone in the role of striker or in the role of false 9. That might be a tactical decision, or just based on which players you've got available. But either way, you know which role that player is playing, and you judge his efficacy against the expectations for that role.

For both Villa and City, Grealish has played in the left forward or left wing position. If you were to draw out the formation of each team with him in, his location in that diagram would be broadly the same.

The most common role played by players in that position is one that consists of maintaining width to stretch the pitch, going past full-backs with pace and trickery, whipping in crosses and moving into the middle to score goals.

I think we as fans, and perhaps also as a club, are expecting Grealish to perform that role right now. And because he's a talented and hard working player, he's doing OK.

But that's never been his role, and it doesn't play to what his actual strengths are. Yeah, he's always done a bit of that stuff, but his role - his function and purpose within a team - lay elsewhere. At Villa, his position may have been left forward, but his role was all-over-the-pitch playmaker. He was Dean Smith's get out of jail free card, a player who could exist in a tactical vacuum and make stuff happen, improving the performances of all the players around him because of the space, time and service he provided. His runs and passes from deep, his ball retention, his constant and consistent creativity, and the way he used those qualities to relieve pressure and force transitions - that was what made him special for Villa.

All the information we have around the Grealish transfer tells us that Guardiola's been aware - and a fan - of him for years. He's watched and researched him thoroughly, what he was doing for Villa and how he was doing it. And after all that watching and research, he and the club decided that they wanted or needed him so badly that they were willing to break the British transfer record to do it.

I refuse to believe that we bought Grealish thinking he's a lightning-quick winger who's full of goals. He was incredible for Villa, but he wasn't those things. We could have bought another player with that skillset for maybe half the price, and that's not even taking into account the players we already have who can perform that role.

I think that by the end of his City career he will have either been moved to a different position - one that's more suited to the kind of role he's best at - or his role in that left forward position and the roles of some of the players around him will have been tweaked to adjust to how he best performs and how the team best performs with him in it. He's never going to play exactly the same role as he did for Villa, because nobody has that kind of freedom under Pep. But we surely didn't buy him to be a left forward in the traditional mould.

Last edited:
Because my original post clearly asks how he could become a regular goalscorer, I presumed your answer outling him playing in a different role was your idea of how he could score more.

He will not become a middle third dribbling midfielder anytime soon, so lets forget that particular crusade.
So you conclude it because you say so? based on what do you base your fact? are you the manager of city?

anyone who asserts opinions as facts do not be taken seriously lol

Warning: this is a long read!

I've got Villa fans in the family, and when I asked one just after he joined how many goals I should bet on him scoring this season, the response I got was "if he hits double figures you'll be lucky".

As others have said, he didn't hit a high volume of goals at Villa, and it's not like Villa had a bunch of clinical strikers to carry that burden. Over the past couple of years he's worked on his goalscoring and slowly improved - I think he can continue to do this and may well show steady improvement, but will never deliver really big numbers. Yet strangely, I never heard Villa fans complaining about his lack of goals. He may not have scored many, but they as a team scored more and won more when he was there.

I think it can be helpful to distinguish between position and role. Let's say position is the part of the pitch a player spends most of their time, and where they can generally be expected to be in relation to their teammates, especially out of possession. And role is their function within the team - what purpose they serve, and what they're expected to deliver.

For example, Cancelo and Zinchenko can both play in the position of left-back. And while of course there's overlap in what they're expected to do, there's a pretty clear difference between what each of them delivers, and you can understand an argument for playing one or the other based on the make-up of the rest of the starting XI and the expected strengths and weaknesses of the opposition.

Or, in the centre forward position, you might deploy someone in the role of striker or in the role of false 9. That might be a tactical decision, or just based on which players you've got available. But either way, you know which role that player is playing, and you judge his efficacy against the expectations for that role.

For both Villa and City, Grealish has played in the left forward or left wing position. If you were to draw out the formation of each team with him in, his location in that diagram would be broadly the same.

The most common role played by players in that position is one that consists of maintaining width to stretch the pitch, going past full-backs with pace and trickery, whipping in crosses and moving into the middle to score goals.

I think we as fans, and perhaps also as a club, are expecting Grealish to perform that role right now. And because he's a talented and hard working player, he's doing OK.

But that's never been his role, and it doesn't play to what his actual strengths are. Yeah, he's always done a bit of that stuff, but his role - his function and purpose within a team - lay elsewhere. At Villa, his position may have been left forward, but his role was all-over-the-pitch playmaker. He was Dean Smith's get out of jail free card, a player who could exist in a tactical vacuum and make stuff happen, improving the performances of all the players around him because of the space, time and service he provided. His runs and passes from deep, his ball retention, his constant and consistent creativity, and the way he used those qualities to relieve pressure and force transitions - that was what made him special for Villa.

All the information we have around the Grealish transfer tells us that Guardiola's been aware - and a fan - of him for years. He's watched and researched him thoroughly, what he was doing for Villa and how he was doing it. And after all that watching and research, he and the club decided that they wanted or needed him so badly that they were willing to break the British transfer record to do it.

I refuse to believe that we bought Grealish thinking he's a lightning-quick winger who's full of goals. He was incredible for Villa, but he wasn't those things. We could have bought another player with that skillset for maybe half the price, and that's not even taking into account the players we already have who can perform that role.

I think that by the end of his City career he will have either been moved to a different position - one that's more suited to the kind of role he's best at - or his role in that left forward position and the roles of some of the players around him will have been tweaked to adjust to how he best performs and how the team best performs with him in it. He's never going to play exactly the same role as he did for Villa, because nobody has that kind of freedom under Pep. But we surely didn't buy him to be a left forward in the traditional mould.
some very good points made Lauz. My main thinking is we brought him thinking Bernardo was leaving. but seems like now he has been forced into the left wing to get playtime and also because sterling is in shit form.

He doesn’t, in the grand scheme of things, as you alluded he doesn’t impact the areas where this will suddenly just manifest goals...

that being said, I also think a recognised 9 changes his threat by default, as he’s quite cute at getting into areas, which are currently restricted by predictability on our part

will he be a 15/20 a season midfielder?? I don’t see it, not consistently anyway... I’m still a bit at a loss at ‘why’ but Pep is a bonafide wizard and if he wanted him, then his vision will invariably materialise!

some very good points made Lauz. My main thinking is we brought him thinking Bernardo was leaving. but seems like now he has been forced into the left wing to get playtime and also because sterling is in shit form.
There may be some truth in that, although actually some of his brightest moments for me have come in link-up with Bernardo, and I'm not 100% convinced Pep would be looking to play him in the middle immediately - as has been discussed elsewhere in this thread, the common trajectory of players starting on the wing then moving inside.

I genuinely think we just have to trust Guardiola's plan. Grealish wasn't bought on a whim, some emergency signing to fill a gap, or a third choice after other deals fell through. Guardiola pursued him. That means he knows what he's about and has a long term plan for making the most of him.

I'm happy to put up with a string of 6 or 7/10 performances from Grealish as Guardiola works with him behind the scenes on the bigger picture.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.