10 | Jack Grealish - 2021/22 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pep has a big decision to make because Sterling has shown that he is far more effective on the left than Grealish.

Grealish can take the ball and control it and retain possession but I haven't seen him cut through a defence for city. Does he have it in his locker? Perhaps leave Sterling on the left and give Grealish an opportunity elsewhere in the side. False 9 or central midfield?
He used to cut through premier league defences the whole time for Villa . Most city fans aren't aware of this but Grealish was out through injury from shin splints last season . And since he has returned from that injury he hasn't looked the same player .

He has not been able to take on players like he use to . Even at the euros he looked a shadow of the player he was pre injury .
I am beginning to think that the injury has taken something away from him.

He used to cut through premier league defences the whole time for Villa . Most city fans aren't aware of this but Grealish was out through injury from shin splints last season . And since he has returned from that injury he hasn't looked the same player .

He has not been able to take on players like he use to . Even at the euros he looked a shadow of the player he was pre injury .
Why would City fans not be aware of an injury that kept him out for months?
Do you think we are as stupid as you?

England were very careful with him at the Euros because he was coming back from that injury, but Southgate's played him more since - presumably not just because he's moved to City! - and before his recent injury Pep was playing him a lot too. I don't think that both club and country would be asking him to play the amount they have been if the injury was still an issue.

One thing that worries me is I saw him say that before that shin injury, he played through pain for weeks before finally asking for help. That kind of attitude can make injuries worse than they need to be, and I hope our medical staff are hot on it with detecting injuries early.

I think his not going past people at the moment is more psychological than physical, though. He's being overly cautious and risk-avoidant, presumably because he's not yet quite settled and confident and comfortable in our system to know when he can or should take those risks.

I think I posted this video before, but it's worth repeating:

He has SO much in his locker. If he's not doing it now, it's because he's being told not to, or because we just need to give him a little time and patience, as we've had to with every new signing.

Part of it is him adapting to us - how we play, and what to expect of his teammates. And part of it is us adapting to him - finding him a role that best suits his skills. I think he clearly needs players in front of him and running past him, so we need to work out where to put him on the pitch so he can work with that.

Last edited:
England were very careful with him at the Euros because he was coming back from that injury, but Southgate's played him more since - presumably not just because he's moved to City! - and before his recent injury Pep was playing him a lot too. I don't think that both club and country would be asking him to play the amount they have been if the injury was still an issue.

One thing that worries me is I saw him say that before that shin injury, he played through pain for weeks before finally asking for help. That kind of attitude can make injuries worse than they need to be, and I hope our medical staff are hot on it with detecting injuries early.

I think his not going past people at the moment is more psychological than physical, though. He's being overly cautious and risk-avoidant, presumably because he's not yet quite settled and confident and comfortable in our system to know when he can or should take those risks.

I think I posted this video before, but it's worth repeating:

(Side note - that little pass at 00:28, where his team mate thinks it'll be coming to him from the other side, then it just appears at his feet... )

He has SO much in his locker. If he's not doing it now, it's because he's being told not to, or because we just need to give him a little time and patience, as we've had to with every new signing.

Or, and this is no dig at him, it’s because the whole team shape and tactics aren’t there to give him every freedom and opportunity he was afforded at Villa.
Here, no matter who you are, at City you work tirelessly and if don’t or you’re cheap in possession, you’re out.

He could do/try whatever he wanted at Villa, much like say Zaha can at Palace. With little to no consequence if it didn’t come off. But to move to an all winning machine, things are different.
Jack will have to learn when to use his skill set, how to influence games for City. Hopefully he is doing that.

He’ll have never played under pressure like he is a City both for his place in the team and the results.
He can’t drop a beat, playing for a team that expects to win every single game, playing for a team that expects to win 15/20 games on the bounce, playing for a team where your ability doesn’t put you in the team by default is a totally different kettle of fish to what he’s ever done.

It’s taken Walker who came from a similar team years to ‘get it’..

Or, and this is no dig at him, it’s because the whole team shape and tactics aren’t there to give him every freedom and opportunity he was afforded at Villa.
Here, no matter who you are, at City you work tirelessly and if don’t or you’re cheap in possession, you’re out.

He could do/try whatever he wanted at Villa, much like say Zaha can at Palace. With little to no consequence if it didn’t come off. But to move to an all winning machine, things are different.
Jack will have to learn when to use his skill set, how to influence games for City. Hopefully he is doing that.

He’ll have never played under pressure like he is a City both for his place in the team and the results.
He can’t drop a beat, playing for a team that expects to win every single game, playing for a team that expects to win 15/20 games on the bounce, playing for a team where your ability doesn’t put you in the team by default is a totally different kettle of fish to what he’s ever done.

It’s taken Walker who came from a similar team years to ‘get it’..
I agree and I think that's a fair assessment.

For all he was expected to do everything at Villa, since he joined City I think he's played remarkably unselfishly, not trying to do too much or be the stand-out star, just fitting in with the team and doing what he can to retain possession and maintain the flow of the matches. Pep said the other day he was surprised by his humility, too.

I think this is promising - he hasn't come to City expecting to play the role he did at Villa, he knows it'll be different, knows the quality of his teammates, and is trying to fit in and do the best for the team.

As he becomes more comfortable in his new team and role I'm sure we'll see his game adapt.

Wasn't sure bringing him on was the best thing to do last night but he did exactly what we wanted him to do and took the sting out of the game by retaining the ball.

The reason Pep is happy with him is because he is proving to have plenty of tactical nous despite not being quite spectacular yet.

You still on the wum

Rule number one of this thread is not to say anything negative about ' our jack ' who's gonna be great for us next season or the one after whether it's on the left,in centre mid, as an 8 a 10 or some sort of hybrid. Unless you think bluemoons favourite shiny new toy is amazing your an idiot.

Last edited:
I think that it is a "myth" that Grealish is not able to do the dribbling in Man City game. Because - actually he did.

According to Fbref status of this season PL
Grealish ranks #3 of successful dribbles (1.59) per game in Man City Squad behind Silva (2.1) and Sterling(1.67)

Grealish ranks #3 of successful dribbled past player (1.71) per game behind Silva (2.5) and Jesus (1.9).

Grealish dribbling success rate is not very high but still in the same range of 50%-55% like most others eg, Cancelo, Jesus. Foden and Silva are better in success rate (around 60%). Sterling is a bit low at (44%).

The location of where dribbling happens matters a lot. There are many eye catching dribbling video hightlight clips online of different players but if you look closely, mostly of those dribbles happen in mid 3rd of the pitch. Very rarely in the attacking 3rd, or in the attacking penalty box. The level of difficulty is very very different.

Very very few players have the ability to constantly dribble pass defenders in the attacking penalty area. Messi is the king of it with very high successful rate. Sterling and Rashford(in his prime) also have this ability - but no where close to Messi's level. Even for Messi, it is not something happening in every game. That is also part of the reason Sterling is so special and I will be very sad if he leaves.

But - dribbling is not something essential to WIN a game or PASS a defender. Liverpool team did not dribble at all but win 5-0 against Man utd and passed their defenders freely by passing to teammates. That is enough. And if you look at what Grealish did last night against Aston Villa in his short cameo. He passed back (~twice) when there was no better options but choose to make a smart cut pass though 2 Villa defenders to Sterling to send him to the box. (Our other wingers also pass back when no better options Foden Sterling Mahrez also do this). What he needed was just "outlets" option available to him to play these passes - when there was no better option, he passed back. I think that it is exactly what Pep asks of him to do right now.

And Pep tends to start him over others when Pep wants more stability and procession - start Foden when needs directly cross from the left - Sterling when dribbling into the box (when the opposite team has a RB with poor defending skill like Cash). City is lucky and rich enough to afford so many options. The talk about "A should start over B" is nonsense. Pep chooses the front three depending on the each game plan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.