10 | Jack Grealish - 2021/22 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are not fucking Villa, third-tier shitty team from Championship - that’s the issue :D

This is City, best team with the best manager, playing with the most innovative philosophy of football

Forward left cutting in is still forward left cutting in whether you’re playing for City or Brinny Celtic..

Pep's post-match comments about Brentford and the pace and rhythm we needed to beat them: "if you attack quick, they attack quicker".

I think we all want to see Grealish running hard at defences and taking them on because that's exciting to watch and he did it so well at Villa.

But Pep is a better tactician than all of us, he sees things we don't, and I suspect how we saw Grealish play last night was according to his orders (we had options on the bench, specifically Sterling, that would have been an obvious change to make if Pep was displeased with Grealish or wanted to change the tactics on that wing to be about attacking at pace).

He's been an admirer of Grealish for years. He's watched him closely and knows his skillset. Ball retention and pace control are more boring to watch, especially in a match like last night's, than direct, dynamic attack - but they're also rarer skills and they're difficult to teach to those who don't have them. It's not unfeasible that this was the reason Pep was so keen to buy him at any price. It's his love of "la pausa" all over again.

If there's space in behind the opposition defence, Grealish should be exploiting it. If he's up against a congested defence in a team with a strong counter-attack, running straight at it is statistically very likely to result in a turnover of possession and the opposition running at us at pace. That means risk and uncertainty and loss of control, and Pep hates that.

I'm not going to call Grealish's performance last night a masterclass or anything like that. Like many people here I found it frustrating to watch and I'd be much more entertained seeing him marauding down the wing as he did at Villa. I'm just open to the possibility that he was actually following orders and carrying out a tactical plan just like all the rest of our players, and it was a plan that got us a win against a tricky opponent in a week where our title rivals dropped points.

Grealish looks to me like a little boy playing in a mens team ! He looks star struck, lost even, a fish out of water to some degree.

There was one counter attack where Foden sprinted passed Grealish to get to the near post. Grealish was just jogging making no attempt to get into a goal scoring position. Phil had started his run well behind Grealish.
Now this might be down to Grealish not being sure what he should be doing ( I hope so ) or just not trying !. Perhaps he is just making sure he doesnt make a mistake.

I have never watch Grealish before so hopefully next season when Pep has had time to work with him, we will see a more City style Grealish. As others have said it takes time to learn Peps way

So, as usual you state the obvious while lacking introspection.
Are you saying you haven't formed an opinion about him already??
Really?
What's true for boo boys is also true for fan boys surely.
The fact you set up false arguments to rile against is a feature of your posts.
Most doubters are raising legitimate questions. Not many are questioning his fee, just his impact and role so far. Nearly everyone says they hope he will improve, even the 'boo boys'.
My opinion is straight forward. He's a quality player with all the tools necessary to be a success here but right now his whole game and what he's used to has been turned upside down due to joining a team who are more tactically coached than pretty much anybody in the world. He's going to take a little time to get it into his head and his performances so far reflect that.
His doubters just post the same thing every week and don't seem to care about context so yeah I find myself repeating myself as often as the likes of you but just from an opposite viewpoint.

Fanboy/boo boy, I guess they're both nonsense labels in fairness.

Give it til next season. It normally takes one year under pep before a signing becomes good. Dias the exception.

I've not heard him being booed by Blues at games so trying to compare comments on a forum with fans being on his back is ridiculous.

Last night was another 90 minutes of nothingness from him. Other players weren't at their best but the fact is they have plenty in the bank whereas Grealish hasn't. It's not unrealistic to expect a better return from our record signing than we have had to date.
I'm talking about this forum not the match going blues.
Your second paragraph just confirms my original point. You expect more because he's a record signing but refuse to acknowledge the circumstances and changes he's having to make to his game.

Reality is following:

1) Jack either plays as a midfielder and starts to contribute / justify the spent money

2) Jack is a 100m flop

And this was obvious for everyone (having basic understanding of football) even 1 year ago. The fact that he isn't as good LW as Foden or Sterling or even GJ was and is known to everyone.

Also we had case of Nolito, who Pep tried to give similar role like Jack Grealish is given now, but this is not Spain and this is not La Liga, so if this is "Nolito Type" experiment, then it means that 100m was thrown into the sea.

But I don't want to believe that the management, scouts, even Pep and etc. and etc. are so dumb that they actually thought that Jack would be great match as a Winger and he is worse 100m :D

I want to believe that management, scouts, Pep and etc. and etc. while analyzing Jack`s skills - found perfect candidate for the midfield - where we have number of veterans / injury prone players and what's more important -> Pep needs special type of players there and you just can find them as easy as you wished..

I will remember all the posters here and when the time comes I will remind you what I thought and what you thought, then let's discuss it and tell who was wrong, who was right, who had better football knowledge and it will be easy to see the truth.

But as my opinion is the one that benefits the Club - let's all hope that I will be true by that time :D <3

I agree with that. It is causing a case of deja vu for me as Mahrez went through exactly the same on the opposite flank after his move from Leicester where he was used to having far more space. He obviously improved to become a valuable member of the team.
Similar in a lot of ways, but I’d say that “new system shock” has manifested in different ways for each. Mahrez seemed to continue to, as Shearer put it, “express himself”, and it came off as selfish and to the detriment to our play.

Jack’s doing the opposite, playing safe and cautiously rather than trying to shine. Jack’s issues possibly have slightly better team optics in terms of not being selfish, but it makes the £100m look foolish on the surface.

Mahrez bought in and adapted - huge Kudos to him for that - I suspect Jack has already bought in and will flourish down the line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.