10 | Jack Grealish - 2021/22 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
thats bollocks. No way has Grealish made more passes than Silva
It will depend what constitutes a key pass and I guess it is one that leads directly to a scoring opportunity. Playing deeper, there is less opportunity for Bernardo, if that is the criteria.

He failed to press on several occasions. We were lop sided at times with an easy out for Chelsea. Watch again, he hung back while the others busted a gut. He is either slow in pace (which has surprised me) or slow in thought or both. Pressing is an aspect I hope he improves.
Tracking back was better but still slow to get back and not always sure what to do when the ball fell to him. Some nice passes and a couple of runs but still no gasp moments all season like we get from some players. There are times Silva, Sterling, KDB, Mahrez and Foden have regularly lit up a match with wonderous play.
He does need time. My worry is he lacks the basic speed of thought to apply his obvious skills to best effect. Time will tell. Still waiting, which is disappointing. He should have been our first superstar branded player. Now he looks more like an expensive (but maybe necessary) cog in the machine.
I don't know why you say Grealish failed several occasions.
Because very clearly the only major mistake in that game of our pressing system was made by Sterling.

Primary pressing target
Grealish - Rudiger
KDB - Kante
Foden - T-Sliva and Kapa
Sterling - Kovacic. occasionally Sarr. (Okay to let Sarr pass because he is the weakest link).
Cancelo - Azp

Occasionally when KDB roamed away, Grealish would keep an eye on Kante. When Sterling moved to press Alonso/Sarr, KDB switched on tracking Kovacic. The principle is never let Kante/Kovacic free.

The only major mistake was made by Sterling in the 1st half at 13min. KDB/Grealish/Cancelo were all pressing their respective targets - Kante Azp and Rudiger. But Sterling did not move and lost Kovacic. Then they found the way out by passing to Kovacic. It was a very dangerous situation - ended with Ziyech very sloppy pass to Lukaku. If Ziyech was not that stupid, it would be a golden chance and possibly 0-1 down at 13min.

You could see KDB showed his anger to Sterling when he saw Sterling did not move to track Kovacic.
In the rest of the game, Sterling was much better. Sterling had a very good game but this error might cost us.

Grealish should be blamed for not putting that chance in the net. But on pressing perspective, until City retreated after the goal, Grealish executed his part in our pressing system.
Screen Shot 2022-01-20 at 16.52.59.png

Last edited:
Does anyone else here get the sense that he just doesn't seem serious about playing here,

I get this feeling of ambivalence from him when he is on the pitch, and that he is more than content with getting his money, and enjoying the marketing he is getting from playing here.

Just to be clear I hope he comes good, but I feel like he is more interested in the lifestyle and money rather than actually playing.

Does anyone else here get the sense that he just doesn't seem serious about playing here,

I get this feeling of ambivalence from him when he is on the pitch, and that he is more than content with getting his money, and enjoying the marketing he is getting from playing here.

Just to be clear I hope he comes good, but I feel like he is more interested in the lifestyle and money rather than actually playing.
I feel the opposite - like he's got something to prove and it's weighing on him, perhaps a little too much sometimes.

I think he's quite a laid back personality so perhaps that can be taken for ambivalence.

But from what I've seen he's working hard and fitting in pretty well. Some understandable teething problems that need ironing out in terms of getting on the same wavelength as his teammates, and some (equally understandable) possible confidence issues stopping him from taking a lot of risks.

I get the feeling - and this might just be me projecting - that he's fighting his "maverick" reputation because it's pissed him off, especially the conversations for England in the summer that tended to be around "yeah, he's talented, but can he put in a shift for the team and follow tactical instructions", people talking about him like a luxury player, a creative element you have to compensate for defensively rather than a key component of a team.

So he's come to one of the most tactically demanding clubs and managers in the world to prove to himself and Southgate and everyone else that he can do it.

Once he's more comfortable in the system and feels a little more settled I think we'll see a bit more of that confidence and flair seeping back in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.