10 | Jack Grealish - 2021/22 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trouble is... assuming that this season's performance continues, then next season:

In your first lineup, Sterling (if he's still in our side) would be far better than Grealish.

In your second lineup, Foden or Mahrez on the right are far better than Grealish.

IMO, Grealish might be best in a sort of free roaming central mid role. Trouble is, we have better players there - KDB, Silva, Gundo.

All said - I'm still not sure where Grealish fits.
He'll be better than Gundogan next season. His talent and Gundogan aging suggest that. He is as good as Bernado albeit different style. But I think he can be very effective on the wings, cutting to the middle and making plays.

He'll be better than Gundogan next season. His talent and Gundogan aging suggest that. He is as good as Bernado albeit different style. But I think he can be very effective on the wings, cutting to the middle and making plays.
He won't be better than gundogan as he's never played gundos role before who happened to be out top scorer last season. He's never been in the same league as bernardo and never will be.

I see the he will be amazing next season based off hopes and dreams squad is out in full force

He won't be better than gundogan as he's never played gundos role before who happened to be out top scorer last season. He's never been in the same league as bernardo and never will be.

I see the he will be amazing next season based off hopes and dreams squad is out in full force
Well, I guess time will tell.

Here are my predictions: And we can always touch base midway through.nezt season.

1) I think he'll be more influencial to our offense than Gundogan next year. He is a better attacking talent at this point in his career than an aging Gundo.

2) Talent wise, I think he is up there with Bernado. As a passer, creative outlet and a secure holder of the ball, I'd say they are on par on most of those qualities with Grealish. Grealish just needs chemistry.

3. I expect something similar to the jump in Mahrez's influence on the team from year 1 to 2.

Let's check back in December.

Agree. Gundo's role and contribution to the team are consistently underated. As for Bernardo, he is simply irreplaceable.

Can somebody explain to me why we needed him and what role was he expected take up when we were already covered in those areas.
Did our recruitment team see something different than we are currently seeing in him.
And due to the transfer fee and total package did they on this occasion get it totally wrong.
As others say where does he fit in and who does he replace.

Can somebody explain to me why we needed him and what role was he expected take up when we were already covered in those areas.
Did our recruitment team see something different than we are currently seeing in him.
And due to the transfer fee and total package did they on this occasion get it totally wrong.
As others say where does he fit in and who does he replace.

Rumours when we bought him were very much that he was intended to replace Bernardo, back when it was looking likely that Bernardo would leave. There were lots of articles suggesting Pep planned to rotate him with Gundogan, which adds to that theory. Also, in one of his first interviews after he joined us, Jack said he'd spoken at length with Pep about positions, and that he primarily saw himself as an 8 or 10. Which would be a strange thing to say if those discussions had been about usually playing him on the wing.

Of course, then Bernardo didn't leave, so that equation changed. And Phil's injury early in the season opened up some game time on the left.

For what it's worth, I think our squad is small enough, and Pep rotates enough, that we're able to bring in a new player and he doesn't have to necessarily "replace" anyone. He just has to be able to slot in as an option.

I think we'll see a tweak to how we play him, whether it's moving his position or just changing what we're asking of him. He's been obediently holding the width for a lot of this season but I doubt we bought him to just stretch the pitch. We could have got anyone to do that.

Grealish at his best gives elite levels of ball progression and retention. Last year he was carrying the ball forward about as much as Bernardo, and passing it forward almost as much as Kev. For someone who nominally plays further forward than both Kev and Bernardo (so has less space to run into, and fewer forward passing options), that’s a bit mad. Combining the stats together, he progressed the ball more than anyone.

And before we dismiss that as skewed because he had so much of the ball at Villa, these stats from January (I haven't been able to find anyone doing any comparisons for the full season to date yet) show he's continued on the same levels with us.

That's what his strengths are. So we've got to get him into positions on the pitch where he has people ahead of him in dangerous positions to receive the ball, and where he can run at opposition defences. Pep will understand the value of having a player who can do that, and he'll have a plan for how to get the best out of him for the benefit of the team.

Next season he will be a world beater one season under pep will have taught him all about us Jack the hat will be on fire

Rumours when we bought him were very much that he was intended to replace Bernardo, back when it was looking likely that Bernardo would leave. There were lots of articles suggesting Pep planned to rotate him with Gundogan, which adds to that theory. Also, in one of his first interviews after he joined us, Jack said he'd spoken at length with Pep about positions, and that he primarily saw himself as an 8 or 10. Which would be a strange thing to say if those discussions had been about usually playing him on the wing.

Of course, then Bernardo didn't leave, so that equation changed. And Phil's injury early in the season opened up some game time on the left.

For what it's worth, I think our squad is small enough, and Pep rotates enough, that we're able to bring in a new player and he doesn't have to necessarily "replace" anyone. He just has to be able to slot in as an option.

I think we'll see a tweak to how we play him, whether it's moving his position or just changing what we're asking of him. He's been obediently holding the width for a lot of this season but I doubt we bought him to just stretch the pitch. We could have got anyone to do that.

Grealish at his best gives elite levels of ball progression and retention. Last year he was carrying the ball forward about as much as Bernardo, and passing it forward almost as much as Kev. For someone who nominally plays further forward than both Kev and Bernardo (so has less space to run into, and fewer forward passing options), that’s a bit mad. Combining the stats together, he progressed the ball more than anyone.

And before we dismiss that as skewed because he had so much of the ball at Villa, these stats from January (I haven't been able to find anyone doing any comparisons for the full season to date yet) show he's continued on the same levels with us.

That's what his strengths are. So we've got to get him into positions on the pitch where he has people ahead of him in dangerous positions to receive the ball, and where he can run at opposition defences. Pep will understand the value of having a player who can do that, and he'll have a plan for how to get the best out of him for the benefit of the team.

Great post. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.