10 | Jack Grealish - 2021/22 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
David Silva may have been further along in his development, despite being a year or so younger when he joined us, than Grealish, but still it wasn't until his 6th season that he was playing more often centrally than out wide.

10/11:
View attachment 42902

11/12
View attachment 42903

12/13:
View attachment 42904

13/14:
View attachment 42907

14/15:
View attachment 42910
15/16:
chrome_screenshot_1652260929779.png

They're different players, and we're a different team now. If Pep's plan is to move him central then I'd expect it to happen quicker than over 6 years.

But perhaps we need to bear this trajectory in mind and not be too impatient for the move to happen.

David Silva may have been further along in his development, despite being a year or so younger when he joined us, than Grealish, but still it wasn't until his 6th season that he was playing more often centrally than out wide.

10/11:
View attachment 42902

11/12
View attachment 42903

12/13:
View attachment 42904

13/14:
View attachment 42907

14/15:
View attachment 42910
One thing to remember with this though is that Silva often played as something of a left-sided #10 in a 4-4-2, whereas Grealish is very much being asked to hug the touchline in a 4-3-3.

10/11:
View attachment 42902

11/12
View attachment 42903

12/13:
View attachment 42904

13/14:
View attachment 42907

14/15:
View attachment 42910
I don't think we can do a direct comparison in that sense, City were not playing in the same way as in we never had 8's per se. But Dave having played with the Barca guys who had been playing the 8's for years, he had exposure to it and an understanding of the requirement IMO. He's also really clever anyway in his play, so i think it was quite natural for him to pick up what was being instructed by Pep. I think if Pep had come to City when we had signed Dave, he would have converted him into that role eventually as well, but it also took Iniesta a while to move there. Pep himself used to play Iniesta on the left of a 3 for most of his time there, it does take time.

I watched that semi-final against Madrid. Small comfort, I'm sure, but I thought you were unlucky to lose it. On the balance of both legs you were the better team, but once they scored their first goal in the second leg, they had all the momentum and the belief.

When Jack came on in that match, I saw glimpses of what he'd been for Villa, and I know I'm biased but I thought he looked loads better for it. Every time I've seen anything of him playing this season, he's seemed meek and scared and careful, which really isn't the Jack I know.

Especially, it was the first match I've seen him in for you guys where he didn't look slow. He's always had kind of average (for a professional footballer!) pace in a straight line without the ball, but his pace with the ball, the speed of his acceleration and deceleration and changes of direction, combined with his strength, always meant that his middling pure speed didn't really matter.

But he's been looking hesitant and uncertain this year for City. So seeing him come on, get the ball and run at a defence the other night felt like a little nod to the player he's been in the past.

I hope he does more of that, but I'm not sure if it was instructions or confidence that had him playing the other way.
Good post and i have to agree. The moment Grealish decide to turn towards the opposition goal and drive forward he looked a much better player. Skinning Trippier when he came on will also give more confidence.
I feel he's been playing within himself but has carried out the managers instructions to the letter so far.

He’s going to be incredible next season. His confidence is growing & you can see he believes he belongs here now
Great post, 100% agree - you can see no hesitation with his passes now and once again a nice cameo.

Should always come on when there's open spaces, needs to work on the rest a bit though, but will come there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.