10 | Jack Grealish - 2021/22 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone choosing to dig out Grealish specifically when he was playing with that team under their clearly woeful coaching is just pushing an agenda, simple as. He managed four key passes in that match to try and create something and had the best stats of the attacking players by some distance, but it's a team game. There's some very good analysis of why what he could do was limited on the match thread, if anyone's interested in that rather than just using him not being able to perform a miracle as reason to give him grief.

Edit to add: Raheem was distinctly average last night and skyed a sitter, the chance for which was initially created by Grealish, but I see all the activity is here on Jack's thread. Because of course.

Blah blah blah…… another one who’s mask is starting to slip
would you look at that, exactly what i said is happening, the same old crowd who simply cannot comprehend in their brains the notion of criticizing a manchester city player, defensive walls go up, lalalalalalala can't hear you, blame you of being a rag.

so tiresome. get a fucking grip. stop pissing yourself because someone said something you don't like. 100 fucking million, paid millions of pounds a month, he should be able to handle criticism on a fan forum.

Anyone choosing to dig out Grealish specifically when he was playing with that team under their clearly woeful coaching is just pushing an agenda, simple as. He managed four key passes in that match to try and create something and had the best stats of the attacking players by some distance, but it's a team game. There's some very good analysis of why what he could do was limited on the match thread, if anyone's interested in that rather than just using him not being able to perform a miracle as reason to give him grief.

Raheem was distinctly average last night and skyed a sitter, the chance for which was initially created by Grealish
agenda my arse, he's played like this almost every single game for city last season. is our coaching clearly woeful as well? stop finding every reason under the sun for him. key passes, passes completed, you'll find whatever cherry-picked stat to deflect away from his poor performance and lack of ability to affect the game. Sterling was the best attacking player by some distance, then abraham, then grealish, then mount. but guess what, if sterling had a shit game and people criticized him, the same crowd would cry about agenda against sterling. but no one is criticizing him because he's had a good game. almost seems like the only agenda is your insistence that no criticism should ever be put into words on bluemoon..

mate the chance was created by james it was a brilliant cross.. what the hell... i swear people here see what they want to see

Last edited:

Stop talking some sense please

Please don’t get me wrong I am a massive Jack Grealish fan but the way he played last night he will give Southgate all the excuses he needs not to pick him from the start which is a shame for his career. He will never be a good presser of the ball out of possession , his strengths are close control and dribbling in tight areas. Just needs to be less scared of losing the ball and play more forward passes.

I'm completely confident that next season Jack will progress profoundly with City and Pep's requirements, becoming a vital cog in our midfield.
His England career under Southgate, I'm not so certain.

Please don’t get me wrong I am a massive Jack Grealish fan but the way he played last night he will give Southgate all the excuses he needs not to pick him from the start which is a shame for his career. He will never be a good presser of the ball out of possession , his strengths are close control and dribbling in tight areas. Just needs to be less scared of losing the ball and play more forward passes.
The way he played when he came on against Germany is the reason he was picked last night. You are right, he is looking for an excuse not to play him.

The way he played when he came on against Germany is the reason he was picked last night. You are right, he is looking for an excuse not to play him.

It was kind of a set up. Yesterday's set up is very difficult for him.

- Everyone can see there is good chemistry between Kane & Grealish. But Southgate paired Tammy with Grealish on his start. I do value Tammy but he is levels behind Kane. If it was Kane on the end of Grealish's yesterday's though ball instead of Tammy, it might be a different outcome.

- Southgate played Tripper and Tomori on the left side. Both only recovered from injury and not 100%. And clearly both were instructed to stay behind while James&Maguire marched more offensively. Tripper is never a proper LB and it made the left side attacking very difficult. Maguire - though he is not good defensively this season, his ball carrying skill is still a big plus offensively. And what is more - Italian side clearly targeted Tomori's defensive flaw by focusing attacking our left flank. Thus Grealish spent most of his energy on defending. But still if you compare the starting left winger performance in the past 3 matches, Grealish was way better than Mount facing Hungary or Sterling facing Germany.

- At the beginning of 2nd half, Grealish roamed inside and played more like a midfielder and orchestrated from left half space - thus came 2 chances for Sterling and it was the only 10min while England looked very good in attacking. It rang a bell that why not trying him in #10 role? However Southgate quickly made subs and pushed Grealish more to the left touchline. Mount, Sterling, Bowen and Bellingham tried #10 role in these 3 games but never Grealish. It was the same for Foden. The last time Grealish played #10 role was the Euro Group stage facing Czech when Mount was self isolating. He was brilliant and the whole attack moved smoothly. It was just really weird that he never got a chance to step into that role even in trash game time - as if Southgate fears that he would outshine his favourite boy Mount. Same treatment for Foden as well.

Oh for opinions that don't straddle the gap marked extreme. He has not been a star, so far, at City, and neither has he been woeful. He has done okay and has shown signs of progress but the extreme views in this forum stifle any debate whatsoever. We are supporters, we are allowed to defend him, but it also doesn't stop us identifying when he has had a less than excellent game. I simply do not get why some posters want to endlessly call out individual players, repeatedly, when we have been the best team in England for a decade.

you're gonna get pelted, because a lot of people in this forum are very defensive and won't allow a single bit of criticism, especially with opposition fans. for a good reason, people always try to minimize our achievements. having said that i agree with you 100%, his performance today has been his entire season - passive, slow, safe. nothing that a youth player can't give you. i don't see how this magically transforms into something else this season but let's see.
Did not watch last night but thought he done well off the bench against Germany. So much about football these days is about not giving away the ball particularly if the opposition get a chance to counter. For players like Grealish to thrive you have to create the space for them to move into and panic the defence. Maybe an impact sub is his best position these days for England and City.

For Villa he had full licence to roam around the pitch at will and create mischief. Losing the ball was not viewed as a crime in the same way it is by Pep and Southie. The guy has talent I think he he stays away from the top shelf and applies himself we might see two three good seasons from him.

Did not watch last night but thought he done well off the bench against Germany. So much about football these days is about not giving away the ball particularly if the opposition get a chance to counter. For players like Grealish to thrive you have to create the space for them to move into and panic the defence. Maybe an impact sub is his best position these days for England and City.

For Villa he had full licence to roam around the pitch at will and create mischief. Losing the ball was not viewed as a crime in the same way it is by Pep and Southie. The guy has talent I think he he stays away from the top shelf and applies himself we might see two three good seasons from him.
he did do very well against germany yup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.