10 | Jack Grealish - 2022/23 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is Pep's tactic.

Get overload on one side and do a quick switch to the other side. Then cross/shot into the box.

Halaand header was a classic execution of this tactic.
I think I already said this - but if not - I agree with you.

My problem with Grealish is that one-on-one - he doesn't pose enough threat. By way of contrast - Mahrez poses much more one-on-one threat.

Ideally it should be symmetric - we threaten on either our left our right - they commit too many -we quickly pass to the opposite side - and we have a great scoring opportunity.

Right now - it's not symmetric at all. Our primary attack is almost always on our left with Grealish which almost always goes nowhere. And then we switch to our right with Mahrez - ideally he's one-on-one.

The above attack is much easier to defend than a balanced attack - where our right and left attacks are equally formidable. Currently - for me - the defense can cheat - anticipating the cross to Mahrez and covering that fully - whereas the Grealish threat is dealt with one-on-one.

Last edited:
I can't express how important it is for our team to have 2 or 3 players that really give a shit. Passion & drive & heart on your sleeve stuff. We need those players to give the team and the crowd a boost. And he really has shown that he has this in abundance. He's getting better, his confidence is higher, he gives us control, he's chipped in with a goal or two - he's keeping Phil out of the team for a reason.
2 or 3, is that a joke? That's a relegation team, to win titles we need all 11.

Grealish is not keeping Foden out of the team, Foden is.

Last edited:
He keeps Phil out of the team because Phil is a worse left winger than Jack. Jack is better now but still rarely gets to the byline, barely meets the defender, always uses his right foot and the defenders know. If he runs with the ball he mostly runs into trouble. If he takes a shot like he did yesterday it normally gets blocked or is an easy chance for the keeper. I want him to do well but I don't think he will ever be a top class winger. He is a number 10 but probably not a world class one. He does keep the ball well and that's what Pep likes about him. He rarely loses the balls and draws fouls. Yesterday two players always marked him when he had the ball creating space for others when he played the ball usually backwards or sideways.
THE IS NO UNIVERSE, That Jack is better than Foden at LW. Foden is injured and out of form. An in-form Foden is levels above Jack, any time and any day, no matter the weather.

I can't express how important it is for our team to have 2 or 3 players that really give a shit. Passion & drive & heart on your sleeve stuff. We need those players to give the team and the crowd a boost. And he really has shown that he has this in abundance. He's getting better, his confidence is higher, he gives us control, he's chipped in with a goal or two - he's keeping Phil out of the team for a reason.
It's crazy to me that we're saying 'chips in with a goal or two' is anywhere near good enough for a winger in what's supposed to be one of the best teams in the world. Imagine if Sterling 'chipped in with a goal or two' every season, absolutely nobody would be on here arguing he was good enough to stay.

2 goals and 3 assists... that's about what I'd expect from Marc Albrighton and less than I'd expect from Solly March. Except we paid a hundred million for Jack. He's got to be the biggest Emperor's-New-Clothes player I've ever seen. He can be good at times and awful at times, but no matter which, you can always count on coming on here after the game and seeing dozens of people desperately insist that he was world class. For me? Give me a Sterling or a Jesus any day. They don't look as pretty as Grealish when they dribble but at least there's occasionally some end product.

I think he's getting better and I quite like the lad but absolutely no idea why we bought him because he is nothing like what we need.

We need a fast dribbling tricky winger not an inside creative midfielder who is slow and ponderous.

We need a new Sane, a new Sterling, a left sided Mahrez not a Grealish.... And that's coming from someone who actually likes the guy!

his form improved somewhat in recent weeks, fair play to him, but he needs to keep his form.

He looks so much better when he comes inside across the pitch than hugging the wing, he either draws a foul or they are shit scared of him and he opens the game up, he’s not a winger and rarely gets past a player but when he comes inside from say the halfway line he looks class, honesty think if he is put alongside Rodri and KDB he would be immense.

There's been an improvement but we need to see more and more and on a consistent basis. So often he seems to "almost" score or get an assist.

For me he's just so much better suited to the attacking central role. He wants the ball to feet, he will never shy away from receiving it and he's more likely to thrive with the ball when there's movement around him and he's able to go left or right and carry the ball. I'd love to see him playing the left central side with Foden as the winger.

He looks so much better when he comes inside across the pitch than hugging the wing, he either draws a foul or they are shit scared of him and he opens the game up, he’s not a winger and rarely gets past a player but when he comes inside from say the halfway line he looks class, honesty think if he is put alongside Rodri and KDB he would be immense.
Does not have the passing game to play alongside KDB and Rodri, takes too long to pass the ball, and slows down everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.