10 | Jack Grealish - 2024/25

????
Jack would finally decide to do what he hasn't done for the past 3 years now that Pep might be leaving and the team would fail while Jack succeeds? I'm sorry but this all bordering on cult like fanaticism and it just seems crazy. Even regular contributors like Yaya, Dzeko and Mahrez didn't get this kind of attention
completely agree.

The way some of our support speak about him you'd think he was posting Yaya or Mahrez like numbers. The reality is he has scored 8 goals and had 15 assists in the prem in just over 3 seasons. Even Gareth Barry managed 6 goals and 13 assists across his 4 seasons at the club, and he was a holding mid!

I'm not here to slate the guy, but the amount of smoke blown up the arse of a guy who's contributions have been underwhelming to say the least, is incredible.

completely agree.

The way some of our support speak about him you'd think he was posting Yaya or Mahrez like numbers. The reality is he has scored 8 goals and had 15 assists in the prem in just over 3 seasons. Even Gareth Barry managed 6 goals and 13 assists across his 4 seasons at the club, and he was a holding mid!

I'm not here to slate the guy, but the amount of smoke blown up the arse of a guy who's contributions have been underwhelming to say the least, is incredible.

Grealish is clearly City's marmite with supporters, but not with Pep.

????
Jack would finally decide to do what he hasn't done for the past 3 years now that Pep might be leaving and the team would fail while Jack succeeds? I'm sorry but this all bordering on cult like fanaticism and it just seems crazy. Even regular contributors like Yaya, Dzeko and Mahrez didn't get this kind of attention
No, if Pep leaves, I wouldn't be throwing around insults if you can't read a post properly.

completely agree.

I think everyone, Jack included, would love to see him get more goals and assists.

I'm a fan of his and I think it's a perfectly valid criticism to say both that he doesn't shoot often enough and that hesitation before he shoots means he has a poor shot conversion rate. I'd never dispute this, I think it's absolutely fine to discuss, and I'd love to see him make some improvements in this area although at this stage of his career it's important to be realistic about how much improvement is possible.

I think the real bone of contention is how much we value what he does when he's not scoring or assisting and whether or not we think it's enough to justify playing him without the goal contributions.

When he's not at his best because his fitness, form or focus aren't there, he's a solid, functional, 6/10 player. He's unlikely to really let you down and he can help get the team over the line but he's unlikely to get you off your seat or really turn a game around. This was how he was much of last season and I think it made sense that he had a reduced role as a result. Jeremy's form justified a bigger role, too.

But when Jack is at his best, as I think he's been this season so far for club and country (the Newcastle game wasn't great but I'm going to write that off given what we know of the disruption to his build-up with the birth of his child - in that context it would probably have been better to not start him), he's consistently one of the best players on the pitch. He creates loads of chances, he links up well with any and all of his teammates, he has insane gravity that creates space for other people, and he works hard and selflessly in both attack and defence. He makes good decisions and he gives us balance.

I think that when he's on it, he makes our team better. For me, that's the important thing. I don't care if he's the scorer, the assister, the pass before the assist, whatever. The important thing is what he enables the team to do.

Last edited:
He does well for us in a position that is obviously not his preferred. Yet despite being played out of position and being slated for it by some, has he ever complained? Has he ever been a diva about it or attacked the manager publicly?

No, if anything he's been critical of himself for not adapting to the role as he feels he should. I've never understood the pile on he gets from some on here. I guess £100m and the concept of "value" must mean a lot to some people.
For a fraction of what he's being paid, I would hire someone to walk behind me with a bell as I walk up the road completely naked.

I liked the fact he looked to get in behind the defence for his goal for England. He hugs the touchline for City and whilst he has been effective, he does need to mix his game up. Sterling used to score bucket loads literally just moving into the box when the opposite winger had the ball. If he can start to vary his game, the things he does so well will be so much more effective.

Without Rodri, there might be a need for him to play that controlling game though and not be too expensive so we are more solid and don't risk being caught on the counter. Against Fulham it was so gung ho and they were benefitting from it more than we were in terms of chances.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.