#10 | Sergio Agüero - 2020/21 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
He has done Panenkas before and scored from them.
Personally I think they're arrogant and he should have just belted it into the back of the net.

I wasn't talking about Panenkas when I said he hasn't done that before, I was talking about his general selfish play in that two minute period where he kicked off with Sterling for taking the ball off his feet and scoring, and then decided to show boat rather than hit the ball hard and true to put the game to bed.

Sergio has always stepped up in big games and has always been a team player. But for whatever reason, he was on one on Saturday and clearly wanted to be the hero that won us the trophy again. It's a shame because as a result of doing it, and being made to look a fool, I don't think there's much chance Pep will put him on in the CL final unless we are 4-0 up with 10 minutes left or 1-0 down with 10 minutes left and in desperate need of a goal.

I would love for him to score the winning goal in the CL, but I just want the team to win. If it comes off Bernardo's arse or Walker's nose I'm not bothered as long as we win. Aguero has had the ultimate moment at our club and 200+ other ones. His status is guaranteed and clearly he has recognised he got it wrong on Saturday and will be playing for the team from here on out.

I love Aguero and he will always be a legend.

I can only think that Pep would have gave him a rocket up his arse for showboating and sadly, I dont think we will see him wearing the badge again, competitively, for City

He owed his teammates an apology. They've carried him 99% of the way to a league title and when he had the chance to contribute his 1% and get it over the finish line, he tried to show off and fucked it up.

He doesn't owe the fans anything.

Correct. Defo doesn't owe us one. Right call apologising to his teammates though. FWIW, I think if the penny hadn't dropped recently about playing for himself, then it will have now. Sometimes even the greatest need a short, sharp reminder of the realities of life, and I'd wager quite a lot that Sergio has been feeling pretty sheepish over the last couple of days. Nowt wrong with that though, sometimes it's necessary - that's life, and we all still love him so that's all that matters. His teammates will too. We'll all move on.

Edit - might not be a bad thing overall too. If Pep needed a reason to warn about the costs of personal glory ahead of your teammates with the Champions League final coming up, well there you go. Should hopefully sharpen everyone's senses, not just Kun's.

Sergio is probably frustrated as hell, i dont think he wants to leave and he doesnt want to go out like this

Feels that way. I also think that he’d like to stay for one more season. It’s a hard one. His body has been failing him more recently than not. Nonetheless, still a legend.

Under Pep's management.....100% no one will ever try a Panenka again.

As for Sergio,clearly he has plenty of credit in the bank,and so it will not be held against him,but it was such an arrogant/daft choice of technique,and something i wouldn't ordinarily associate with the man.

Proof that brainfarts affect us all! Being such a winner.....I just hope he isn't beating himself up too much.

Execute it correctly and they’re scored 9/10. Obviously look a bit of a tit when it goes wrong but so what pens get missed loads of times the conventional way, especially by us.

Look, I was one of those who didn't want Aguero given a new contract. And this was long before it became popular.

I just didn't think an aging injury prone superstar is a good starting or backup striker.

That said, I have no problem with his penalty. He took it and missed it. For the record, down the middle chips has a higher success rate than most other types of penalties.

Fewer players do it because you look like a right ass when you miss. But this doesn't change the fact that those who do score more. We've seen him miss belted penalties before. So no guarantee he'd have scored that way. And for the record, I would not have been less pissed had he missed a belter. I AM Pissed he missed. Period!

So while missing itself pissed me off coz that's a golden opportunity. The choice of penalty kicking type, didn't.

I'm good with Aguero. Just didn't think he deserved a new contract. Still good with him and still hold the same view on his K.

Two cents.

Look, I was one of those who didn't want Aguero given a new contract. And this was long before it became popular.

I just didn't think an aging injury prone superstar is a good starting or backup striker.

That said, I have no problem with his penalty. He took it and missed it. For the record, down the middle chips has a higher success rate than most other types of penalties.

Fewer players do it because you look like a right ass when you miss. But this doesn't change the fact that those who do score more. We've seen him miss belted penalties before. So no guarantee he'd have scored that way. And for the record, I would not have been less pissed had he missed a belter. I AM Pissed he missed. Period!

So while missing itself pissed me off coz that's a golden opportunity. The choice of penalty kicking type, didn't.

I'm good with Aguero. Just didn't think he deserved a new contract. Still good with him and still hold the same view on his K.

Two cents.

There's an article in the Guardian today that suggests that Panenka penalties actually have a 4-5 percentage point lower average scoring rate than average penalty kicks.

There's an article in the Guardian today that suggests that Panenka penalties actually have a 4-5 percentage point lower average scoring rate than average penalty kicks.
It seems you are right. But the kicking the ball down the Center high was what I was thinking about. It's actually has the highest % of success. But those are different from actual chips

"Contrary to what many people think, going down the middle with a penalty is actually a smart strategy. Since the 2006-07 season Opta has tracked the location of every Premier League penalty, putting them into six equally sized zones, and found that shooting low left has a 77.2% success rate while going low right is 80% successful. That is what most players overwhelmingly do. However aiming a penalty kick centrally is 97.8% successful when the shot is high – and 80.2% if it is low."

I suppose chips are not the only type of down the middle Pen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.