11 | Jeremy Doku - 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
My two cents on the whole tracking back-pace vs acceleration discussion: if a player has as much offensive contribution as Doku already has for City, then its a bit of an ungrateful task to expect him to constantly sprint the whole pitch and prevent opponents' attack. He is not a wingback, he is a wing forward. He should occassionally help out sure, but you don't see Madrid asking Vinicius to cover what is a vast amount of space in their own half, because you would just fatigue him too much to be effective in attack. When your effectiveness comes from physically very demanding constant sprints and physical duels, it can deplete your energy levels very quickly.

All our front line players either do a lot of sprints or do a lot of physical duals. It is not an excuse. most team will have one "luxury-ish" spot for the most important player. I don't know if it exists in our team. But even if it comes it will be Erling or Kev.

Talking about body shape and weight, Kev Erling Jack and Rodri (and all our senior CBs) are all taller and bigger build than Doku. Will you suggest them to run more to cover up the gap if Doku runs less?

To the tune of "I wanna be like you"

Oh he's the king of the wingers
The Belgian VIP
He's reached the top and he won't stop
And now he's at City

Oh yes it's truuuuuuuueeee
I wanna be like youuuuuu

I wanna walk like you, run like you,
Dokuuuuuu

Oh yes it's truuuuuuuueeee
I wanna be like youuuuuu

I wanna shoot like you, score like you
Dokuuuuuu

Last edited:
My two cents on the whole tracking back-pace vs acceleration discussion: if a player has as much offensive contribution as Doku already has for City, then its a bit of an ungrateful task to expect him to constantly sprint the whole pitch and prevent opponents' attack. He is not a wingback, he is a wing forward. He should occassionally help out sure, but you don't see Madrid asking Vinicius to cover what is a vast amount of space in their own half, because you would just fatigue him too much to be effective in attack. When your effectiveness comes from physically very demanding constant sprints and physical duels, it can deplete your energy levels very quickly.

Of course, you can say well Doku should just work on his conditioning. He obviously should, as do everybody. But at some point you can't improve much more there unless you sacrifice something else, either weight or style of play. You don't want either with Doku imo. His explosive power comes for a huge part from his muscle mass; the kid's frame has grown a lot in the last two years constantly rehabbing from injuries. You can already see how crucial his strength is for his game the way he shields the ball. I know the tracking back is how City play and this is one of the biggest challenges he will have to overcome, learning to defend properly (the other being movement without the ball on attack; he needs to run between the channels occasionally and not just wait for the ball in his feet every time). But learning to defend properly means more in the head than the legs, so decision making and better understanding of space between him and his teammates.

TL DR, Doku has great pace as well, although not elite Mbappe/Walker type of pace. But because of his constant explosive actions on offense, he is too knackered to track back by sprinting long distances. This is not solvable by more conditioning training but by covering him more instead of expecting him to cover, and teaching him to figure out when he should track back and when he shouldn't. "Always" is just not gonna work unless you lose major offensive output from him.
I'm in agreement. He adds a more risky element to the team if we get countered. However, that risk / reward balance is more in our favour, especially with cover coming from the likes of Gvardiol and Ake at LB.

His tracking back can (and will) improve but it shouldn't be to the detriment of his unique attacking capabilities.

I'm in agreement. He adds a more risky element to the team if we get countered. However, that risk / reward balance is more in our favour, especially with cover coming from the likes of Gvardiol and Ake at LB.

His tracking back can (and will) improve but it shouldn't be to the detriment of his unique attacking capabilities.
Guess you’ve not learned anything about Pep then.

Won't be long before teams are having to put three defenders on him. They'll ne'er get into our half with the rump that's left!

Guess you’ve not learned anything about Pep then.

tbf the original post is talking more about balancing out his explosiveness with a DM cover. The idea is don't ask him to do so many explosive sprints in a game that he busts his hamstrings.

I hear you e.g. you see Grealish tracking back like a demon often (He made interventions against Liverpool and Arsenal last season) but the flipside is you don't see him gunning it as often as we've seen Doku doing that so far. It'll be interesting to see how his game develops under Pep.

tbf the original post is talking more about balancing out his explosiveness with a DM cover. The idea is don't ask him to do so many explosive sprints in a game that he busts his hamstrings.

I hear you e.g. you see Grealish tracking back like a demon often (He made interventions against Liverpool and Arsenal last season) but the flipside is you don't see him gunning it as often as we've seen Doku doing that so far. It'll be interesting to see how his game develops under Pep.
If he wants to play, he’ll learn to do what Pep requires of all his wingers defensively.

Does he require the same thing from every winger defensively? First time I've seen that.
Pep requires different things from each player in every game.

The only constant is that he demands you do that work, whatever it is he’s asked them to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.