#13 | Zack Steffen - 2021/22 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
People being pretty harsh on Steffen.
Let's get this out the way: he had a shit game yesterday. It's barely even worth stating. Forget the second goal (if it's not in your nightmares — I note with wry humour that Stonesy was pointing like a maniac to where Steffen was supposed to put it, something he never needs to do with Ederson, and wouldn't dare to).
But I'm sort of surprised that he seems to be getting a pass on the first. He surely should have done better there. It doesn't come at him like a thunderbolt, far from it, and it's not at all far from his hand.
Steffen is a good second-string keeper. Good for league and cup games, and if your first-team keeper is injured. But yesterday wasn't a second-string game. It just wasn't – it was against our bitterest current rivals. I don't in the least blame Pep for leaving out KDB. But Ederson should definitely have played this one.
He doesn't even straighten his arm or jump towards the balls trajectory. Shocking goalkeeping. A little hop and a wave as the ball passes over him.

Naturally, people are frustrated, Steffen had a terrible game. Shit happens, though. He looked a broken man. I feel for him. We're human beings before we are fans.
Exactly. He's not our number 1, and he probably never will be, we shouldn't hammer him because he had one very poor game, Shi happens. He'll definitely learn from this.

Deserves another shot next season. Has proved that is he is a capable keeper

Last edited:
I was concerned about the ability of Zack from the start. He looked shaky to me. But he performed well enough in subsequent outings. Only to have a nightmare performance when it most mattered.

Every player has an off game - and perhaps this is Zack at his worst... or not.

I'm now back to my initial assessment of Zack - shaky in goal.
===
Aside as an American

Zack's performance is especially worrisome given the upcoming World Cup. I don't follow team USA closely these days, but apparently Matt Turner is a possible number 1 in goal.

Outside the keeper position, I really like the USA squad - this is the most talented squad we've fielded in 20+ years. USA is 2nd rate still - no way we're winning the World Cup - I'd like to at least make it out of the group stage and luck permitting win our first knockout match. I'd be much more confident of this outcome if we had a quality keeper in goal. Our best current crop of keepers aren't even first choice in the P/L.

I was concerned about the ability of Zack from the start. He looked shaky to me. But he performed well enough in subsequent outings. Only to have a nightmare performance when it most mattered.

Every player has an off game - and perhaps this is Zack at his worst... or not.

I'm now back to my initial assessment of Zack - shaky in goal.
===
Aside as an American

Zack's performance is especially worrisome given the upcoming World Cup. I don't follow team USA closely these days, but apparently Matt Turner is a possible number 1 in goal.

Outside the keeper position, I really like the USA squad - this is the most talented squad we've fielded in 20+ years. USA is 2nd rate still - no way we're winning the World Cup - I'd like to at least make it out of the group stage and luck permitting win our first knockout match. I'd be much more confident of this outcome if we had a quality keeper in goal. Our best current crop of keepers aren't even first choice in the P/L.
Of the group games I most fear you guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.