#16 | Rodri - 2020/21 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
He never imposes himself. Doesn’t tackle never makes fouls doesn’t break the play up. Just sprays some passes sideways now and then

I know he'll get heavily criticised again for good reason, and some not.

He started last season really well and we've seen some real quality, but he's going to have to improve and whilst I do believe he can there are some questions on whether his type of style is going to work as the 6 for the style of football we want to play.

Micah's criticisms post-match today are valid, but also a bit harsh in that Rodri is excellent at keeping possession + finding teammates in tight spaces, as well as one on one defending to win the ball. His technical ability and vision within 10 yards is exceptional.

However, when it comes to creating chances from build up from the back he isn't showing to be one to utilise long range passing/vision, nor will he run with the ball to create space, then pass and shift into defending mode like Dinho.

Rodri is a big lad compared to Dinho, so his agility is automatically lower, even if he's quick with the ball at his feet and smart with decisions,
he won't really run too much with the ball and then pass. I don't recall seeing a lot of long balls across the pitch either, but perhaps I'm not recalling things accurately.

Again, I like him and he's not to blame entirely, but with the deficiencies we've had for more than a few seasons at left back was masked by Dinho's box-to-box style play along with attacking ability being a smaller no. 6 and there've been shades of this when Gundo's been at the no. 6.

Is Rodri perhaps too big, and therefore too slow in some areas to ever be what is needed if we don't make massive changes somewhere? Dias will help, I hope, but crazy me says sell the Zinch now and sign this dude Telles which will also ruin United's plans.

Last edited:
He’s too slow on the ball. His passing is limited, he’s not mobile enough and he seems to be always ahead of the ball when we’re caught in transition.

Given we were unlikely to bin him, I hoped we’d make him into our fourth choice centre back in the summer and buy someone that can do all the above better... but we’re ploughing on and it’s badly exposing other deficiencies, particularly at CB and LB.

I know pace isn’t everything but his distinct lack of mobility makes a team like ours even more vulnerable to the counter attack.

We might have been better off buying Partey instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.