#17 | Kevin De Bruyne - 2020/21 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kev just needs to learn to hold it up and slow the attack down sometimes instead of trying to thread passes in quickly all the time. It's good if it comes off, but when it doesn't it creates an open game. Quickly losing possession means our midfielders and defenders aren't set positionally so there is more space for the opponents to play through our counter pressing. It's a lot easier for us when we are camped in the opponents half to stop counter attacks.
His quality of crossing and creativity is not questioned. Just needs to slow down sometimes when it's not on.

Then what's the difference between this season and 17 / 18 ?

I mean was Kevin`s style different or he was getting the ball only when it was needed and therefore David Silva controlling the tempo.. ?

If that's the case and now he is responsible for controlling the tempo as well - Pep should choose different player for that role when Kev is playing and the problem will be solved.

To be fair, I don't feel comfortable as well watching him making crosses or fast passes and I think players aren't comfortable as well - because it's more easier when Bernardo and Gundogan are slowing the game a little bit, preparing preparing preparing and making "final" passes when it's more logical to do so..

I like and I'm okay with Kev's aggressive passing style. His decision making and timing was off Against WH. That's due to rustiness. Once he gets sharp his success rate will increase from around 35% against WH to about 65%. And while this is generally lower than the 80-85% success rate of our more cautious players, the benefits outweighs the cost almost always.

Kev and Cancelo are the aggressive risk takers on the team. Everyone else is a cautious team oriented player. This diversity is a strength.

Yes the number of times he takes those risky choices and the situations in which he should take them needs to drop a tad, and it will once his timing is back.

Got no problems with Kev's attempt. For the record, no one else other than Cancelo would have attempted the cross for the first goal on their weaker foot other than Kev.

That decision to put it in early, is exactly the destabilizing factor that gave our 2 boys the edge in the box. Had that been Gundogan, Beeny, Mahrez, Sterling or Foden on the ball there, no cross would have occurred.

That's the value right there.

I am good with Kevin come any weather.

I like and I'm okay with Kev's aggressive passing style. His decision making and timing was off Against WH. That's due to rustiness. Once he gets sharp his success rate will increase from around 35% against WH to about 65%. And while this is generally lower than the 80-85% success rate of our more cautious players, the benefits outweighs the cost almost always.

Kev and Cancelo are the aggressive risk takers on the team. Everyone else is a cautious team oriented player. This diversity is a strength.

Yes the number of times he takes those risky choices and the situations in which he should take them needs to drop a tad, and it will once his timing is back.

Got no problems with Kev's attempt. For the record, no one else other than Cancelo would have attempted the cross for the first goal on their weaker foot other than Kev.

That decision to put it in early, is exactly the destabilizing factor that gave our 2 boys the edge in the box. Had that been Gundogan, Beeny, Mahrez, Sterling or Foden on the ball there, no cross would have occurred.

I think as much as Pep loves a good system, he values players with an ability to make a difference. These players are few and far between, but these are the people that can change a game for good and bad. Players like Dias, Aguero (more so in previous seasons), Walker, and De Bruyne will always have a role to play just because they're difference makers, despite not necessarily being "right" for the system.

Me too. He’s had one or two stinkers due to fitness and rustiness but what he attempts is beyond almost any other player. And even in a shit game, it can pay off.

He does need to be managed carefully, though, and I think he was overplayed earlier in the season.

Good post mate. Wouldn’t you think though that whilst his timing is off he would throttle back a little. On Saturday we basically traded control for that assist.
their goal was interesting as it showed how carefully we need to control the ball in our own half. All caused by Kun losing the ball midway into our half. Stop the camera the second it happens and you see Zinchenko inverted and Torres standing on the touch line in their half, so our left flank totally undefended which is what they managed to exploit. This system depends on our control of the ball.
let’s see what happens as Kev gets match sharp.

KDB has always been like this: he takes risks. If he has on off day things don't come off but he never stops trying things and his form always comes back, and then he becomes a match winner. I think this absence will in the lng term be seen as a good thing: we developed our pressing/short passing game back to its best and he got a rest which he looked like he needed. He'll get a wonder goal or two over the next few weeks and be firing on all cylinders for the biggest games in the run in which I suspect will include cup finals, PSG and Bayern.

It’s his aggressive style of passing that is his strength and people want him to tad a bit to sometimes slow the tempo down as in controlling it?
It’s just what we need. Faster forward and more directness. We already have too many too often thinking about a side or back pass.

The assist king. Anyone realise where that has come from?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.