#17 | Kevin De Bruyne - 2021/22 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 assist in 20 games this season... Would usually have 10+ after that many games.

I was discussing that before today on twitter.

Thing is that his xA per open play keypass this season is lower than the seasons before.
In 18/19 he had an xA per open play keypass of 0.21, in 19/20 it still was 0.20, in 20/21 it was 0.15, this season it is 0.11

That could be a problem of either different situations in the system he plays in or a problem of his timing. He still has the number of key passes but they do not have the big quality they had in some seasons before.

Yes, it still might be a conversion problem, too. If I look at his numbers in the last season at Wolfsburg he "only" had a 0.15 xA/per key pass - but it were a lot crosses to Bas Dost so he overperformed the cumultative xA for open play by approximately 50 % that season.

In comparison - Mahrez has an average of 0.14 per open play key pass (2 assists from open play for a cumultive 2.12) - Jesus has an average xA of 0.19 per open play keypass and that results in 7 assists out of a 3.79 cumultive open play xA.

Where can you find the xA per KP? Here is the Link to the Manchester City squad on understat.com here!!!
Click a player to get on his page. If you click on the tap situations you see a table for all of the seasons since 14/15 - choose just the season you want and you can see the value in the column xA/KP.
If you scroll the page down you will find a shot map of all the shots of the player, too. You can choose the season and situation, too.

I was discussing that before today on twitter.

Thing is that his xA per open play keypass this season is lower than the seasons before.
In 18/19 he had an xA per open play keypass of 0.21, in 19/20 it still was 0.20, in 20/21 it was 0.15, this season it is 0.11

That could be a problem of either different situations in the system he plays in or a problem of his timing. He still has the number of key passes but they do not have the big quality they had in some seasons before.

Yes, it still might be a conversion problem, too. If I look at his numbers in the last season at Wolfsburg he "only" had a 0.15 xA/per key pass - but it were a lot crosses to Bas Dost so he overperformed the cumultative xA for open play by approximately 50 % that season.

In comparison - Mahrez has an average of 0.14 per open play key pass (2 assists from open play for a cumultive 2.12) - Jesus has an average xA of 0.19 per open play keypass and that results in 7 assists out of a 3.79 cumultive open play xA.

Where can you find the xA per KP? Here is the Link to the Manchester City squad on understat.com here!!!
Click a player to get on his page. If you click on the tap situations you see a table for all of the seasons since 14/15 - choose just the season you want and you can see the value in the column xA/KP.
If you scroll the page down you will find a shot map of all the shots of the player, too. You can choose the season and situation, too.
the lower assist and creative numbers for KDB has been a direct result of changing our system last season. his best creative play has come from deeper when silva used to play more forward. now KDB instead plays mostly like a false 9. so it is natural he is more on the end of things rather than creating.

We don’t play with wingers going behind anymore, that has been KdBs biggest change to adapt.

The number of times he found Sane or Sterling behind a defensive line was comical.

Pep has changed us though, perhaps due to teams changing how they play against us and the loss of Sane, the wingers are now more involved as playmakers.

False 9 is probably his best position for how we play now, Silva and Gundogan are better suited as the 8s because of their control.

I’ve said before, but he kind of plays more like a striker nowadays and is the closest in physical build to a striker (similar to Kane). Perhaps this will extend his career a bit more in this new position like we saw with Ronaldo and Messi.

KDB's fitness levels are the only concern , at 30 years old like most players a decline will set in , playing as a false nine will extend his career but even if he only plays seventy minutes he will cause more damage than other supposedly world class midfielders do, if they played a dozen 90 minute games.

Upwards trend. Two wonderful assists, a lot of energy, and he could even scored a goal. With Foden, the only offensive player that created anything.

Looking more like his old self. Peach of a cross for Foden to finish well and he looks fitter. More to come in the second half of the season imo.

He's back. The stage is yours Kevin.
Miles better,and wonderful to have him available,but he will never be the player he was.And my biggest concern....He suffocates Bernardo,and takes away from others - it doesn't quite create a square peg/round hole situation but i am still of the opinion we have a better 11 when without him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.