Re: Is the purpose of the American tour to gain American fans?

malg said:
second to none said:
People everywhere are all about winning. Look at the hysterical moaning on this forum when City don't win, or even win 5-0 or whatever's considered acceptable these days. Some of the biggest teams in America haven't won anything in decades, it's a dumb cliche.
I personally don't think it's a dumb cliche, and it isn't only applicable to America. When it comes to supporting teams who are not from your own country, it is normally the case to support the team who are either winning trophies, or have a history of winning trophies. Yes, they will support losing teams from their own home towns (check out City's following in Manchester for proof of that, or even Newcastle's). However, when it comes to supporting foreign teams, I think you'll find most people go for winners. Hence the fact that the Rags are huge over there, and Barcelona and Real. Also, look at what American sports teams are biggest over here and you'll find they are all good at winning things, or have been in the not too distant past (Lakers, Bulls, Mets, Cowboys, Redskins, Celtics etc, etc). The favourite football teams from overseas are the same - Real, Barcelona, Ajax, Juventus, AC Milan etc, etc.

Therefore, we need to start winning trophies to garner support in foreign fields.

That's fair enough, I'm just saying that Americans aren't unique in liking winners. The biggest English club among serious fans over here is Arsenal, at least in my experience, and they're still bringing in new fans despite not winning anything significant in years.

If the Mets are a big team in the UK, which would be fantastic, it's anyone's guess why. I was 3 months old when the Mets last won anything.

second to none said:
malg said:
I personally don't think it's a dumb cliche, and it isn't only applicable to America. When it comes to supporting teams who are not from your own country, it is normally the case to support the team who are either winning trophies, or have a history of winning trophies. Yes, they will support losing teams from their own home towns (check out City's following in Manchester for proof of that, or even Newcastle's). However, when it comes to supporting foreign teams, I think you'll find most people go for winners. Hence the fact that the Rags are huge over there, and Barcelona and Real. Also, look at what American sports teams are biggest over here and you'll find they are all good at winning things, or have been in the not too distant past (Lakers, Bulls, Mets, Cowboys, Redskins, Celtics etc, etc). The favourite football teams from overseas are the same - Real, Barcelona, Ajax, Juventus, AC Milan etc, etc.

Therefore, we need to start winning trophies to garner support in foreign fields.

That's fair enough, I'm just saying that Americans aren't unique in liking winners. The biggest English club among serious fans over here is Arsenal, at least in my experience, and they're still bringing in new fans despite not winning anything significant in years.

If the Mets are a big team in the UK, which would be fantastic, it's anyone's guess why. I was 3 months old when the Mets last won anything.
Apologies for the Mets thing then, I probably got that from King of Queens! I know this is way off topic for this subject, but that programme is awesome. Now I need to go and check if Doug is a Mets fan!

Banned in NC said:
It's clear:

winning without cheating is bad. Being balls-out determined is simply not equitable. In fact, it's racist.

Losing "gracefully" is good. It's moral. It shows class.

Would all the twats (and I do mean twats) that accuse Americans of "only caring about winning" care to revise and extend? Are you accusing Americans of "only caring about winning" SO MUCH that they cheat by diving, feigning injury, appealing for throw-ins and corners that CLEARLY are not theirs, falling inside the box, trying to get opposition players yellow cards &c.? is that what you are driving at?

I'll be here all fucking year for this.

It's no wonder your country is Sharia compliant. What a bunch of fucking loser whiners.
Nice over-reaction. Welcome to Bluemoon. By the way it was nice to see Bob Bradley waving an imaginary card at the ref along with his players during the World Cup. Shows good sportsmanship that. Only saying like ;)

second to none said:
malg said:

I think some of the English baseball-watching crowd on here decided that the Mets were the 'City of baseball teams' or something a while ago.

I still don't understand one single rule of the sport myself. If that ever changes I'll be sure to adopt the Mets too.

second to none said:
Was at both games today and have to say while the performance didn't impress anyone, the 'City section' singing earned a lot of impressed comments from those around me. That said I'm not sure American fans are the cash cow ADUG expect. Honestly I probably put more money into NYRB than I do City, and I don't care about MLS at all.

Yes they were good. What section were you in? I was in section 118 behind the goal.

The whole point for me of the US Tour is to play in-season teams with full fitness, primarily for the "fringe players" of our squad, this gives the likes of Ireland/Hart/Richards etc to justify why Mancini should pick them in his first team for the premierleague.

Sure there has been PR exercises such as the spanish harlem pitch, the unlimited supply of media content online covering the tour and ofcourse the unveiling of the away shirt.

But was this tour to gain new fans in the states? No.
One state is probably bigger than our whole country, yet City are based in New York, they haven't exactly travelled across the whole country have they?
The Red Bull Arena holds 25,000 yet was half empty, this doesn't mean The USA has no interest in our club or the premierleague... it means this and this only:

It probably takes someone living on the other side of New York a good few hours to get to the stadium, nevermind someone living in Texas. Generalised thinking would be this: fuck it it's only a friendly, we'll watch it on TV.

Again the purpose for me has to let fringe players justify their first team inclusion and also stimulate some interest from other clubs who may wanna buy them.

I honestly don't care if we gain any support from this tour or if we win a game. For me it's about fitness and the players not getting injured. If the full squad comes back match fit then I'll consider it a success.

bigquinn772 said:
second to none said:
Was at both games today and have to say while the performance didn't impress anyone, the 'City section' singing earned a lot of impressed comments from those around me. That said I'm not sure American fans are the cash cow ADUG expect. Honestly I probably put more money into NYRB than I do City, and I don't care about MLS at all.

Yes they were good. What section were you in? I was in section 118 behind the goal.

I was in 217, behind the goal as well.

Blues fans did us proud at both games this past weekend. It is a shame the players never came over to show any appreciation.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.