1894 Group - fundraising ahead of the 2018/19 season

Cant thank enough the kindness of everybody who donates, its fantastic.

We have many ideas for displays that we want to do and we have tried many different ones. I get involved right from the beginning and then I'm at the stadium two hours before KO with the other lads setting it up.

This year in particular we have had quite a few stumbling blocks that limit what we want to actually do, often fans will say they have seen a great display at Newcastle so why don't we try that.

But a few hurdles are - the shape of the south stand end, as in directly above 115 / 116 we have corporate seats so fans there don't get involved or in seats early ( although there are some great fans in there that I regularly speak to ). So we have the pain of corporate above us and away fans to the side of us !

If we hang banners from level two even just for 3 minutes as the players come on the pitch, we have complaints from fans below saying they miss seeing players warm up. Like wise if we use surfer banners or big held up banners on two sticks we get quite a few complaints. So we have had little disputes with security as fans have complained to them.

As the players come on the pitch unfortunately the SS lower is only about 70% populated due to queues outside etc, this makes any mosaics look a bit shabby, also suffers flop rather than being held up. it would be great if fans could be in seats as the players come out but we do have a problem at turnstiles.

We have fans in SS3 that want a better atmosphere etc, but the shape of the stand means we are miles apart so it is difficult for us all to sing & work together. Also at the moment security will not allow any flags in SS3, so all we can put up there are mosaic cards. We are working on trying to relax the riles a bit, fingers crossed.

A lot of these problems will be omitted if we rebuild the north stand with atmosphere fans in mind. Meanwhile we just hope getting in to the stadium is made easier so the stands are 100% populated as the players come out. I would say this is one of the biggest factors for us.
Bloody hell. Some right moaning minnies. Quicker we get standing areas the better.
Thanks for that and the efforts the group does. It is easy to sit behind a computer and say "why dont you try this" or "that banner is crap" without knowing what can be produced and where it can or cannot be displayed.
Keep up the great effort

Bloody hell. Some right moaning minnies. Quicker we get standing areas the better.
Thanks for that and the efforts the group does. It is easy to sit behind a computer and say "why dont you try this" or "that banner is crap" without knowing what can be produced and where it can or cannot be displayed.
Keep up the great effort

cheers for that mate, like you say sooner we get the safestanding the better.

if it was up to me the stadium would be full of blue and white and our badge on display to be proud of.

I will happily donate, i'll get onto it after the next payday.

Just an idea though...

I've noticed that Liverpool fans have a YouTube channel and it is sponsored by Ladbrokes and they put the sponsors in that towards their flags and displays. They put videos of their songs, new and old, on there for fans to learn; they put their vlogs (i don't like them but they can be popular and would add to the chance of getting sponsored) on there; podcasts; just random videos of good atmospheres and the like; and an assortment of other random videos...

Would it be an idea to get something like that going by the 1894 Group?

Finding a sponsor would be great to help out with our displays (which i'm not all that bothered about, a bit European-wannabe for me) and flags/banners/scarves/t-shirts etc. (which i do like!)

It might take a few years to get enough subscribers to justify a sponsor coming along and offering to sponsor the page but it might be worth a go.

[Sorry if some of the videos make you itch a bit, haha]
https://www.youtube.com/user/WeAreTheRedmen

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLJRb6yxlBkhMTvksHsNG-pAlC3m7BIZLS

One thing i notice about a lot of our home fans is that they don't know the words to songs. The Dzeko chant is a few years old now and is one that gets sung three times every home game but loads of fans around me don't know the words to that. Obviously with only about 2000 tickets available to actual fans for away games, over the season i bet no more than 10000 different City fans go to away games. That leaves about 35000 regular match attenders at the Etihad who never go to away games and probably never hear 75% of our song list up close. Is it time we had a channel to get more fans to learn them through something like this?

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, I know it’s the modern trend to find songs and chants for players or the coach but can someone (and it doesn’t have to be someone from 1894, just any random fan) please come up with a new City chant?

I find the player chants come and go a bit too frequently and you lose loads of songs as years go by. But a City chant is always a mainstay. Fans around the ground always join in with the mainstay songs a bit more than the player ones n’all.

A good Centurions chant would be a good one to have!

Also, I know it’s the modern trend to find songs and chants for players or the coach but can someone (and it doesn’t have to be someone from 1894, just any random fan) please come up with a new City chant?

I find the player chants come and go a bit too frequently and you lose loads of songs as years go by. But a City chant is always a mainstay. Fans around the ground always join in with the mainstay songs a bit more than the player ones n’all.

A good Centurions chant would be a good one to have!

Some fair points there mate, I like the youtube idea, any different ways to help fund are good.

Totally agree with the chants, we have a far bigger percentage of player chants than actual club songs. Myself I prefer it to be the other way round, players come and go the club has been here since 1894. Some songs are sung for months before they catch on to the whole stadium, by the time the song is well known the player leaves or a new one has come out for him. I would prefer longer songs as well and repeat them several times rather than sing it twice round and move on to another, a song needs time to spread.

Hopefully a good centurion song will come out, that can be sung for years to come.

Singing is very difficult for us to control, I wish we could dictate singing more and get it more organised. But English fan culture is to sing what ever is felt at that particular game ( one of the loudest songs over the last couple of seasons was "clattenberg is a f**n arshole" as he left the pitch at half time ) where as the german fans / basel fans / polish fans pretty much know what they are going to sing game by game which gives fans more chance to join in. This has its benefits but doesn't catch on in the PL, not that I would like to see an organised song sheet but a bit more planning would definitely improve the noise and carry it on no matter win lose or draw.

The only way we can try to organise better singing is to encourage singing fans to group more with tickets in 115 for cup games, I remember Monaco in the CL against us, they had about 200 fans starting the songs and it travelled right round the stadium, they out sung us most the game on a noise level. It doesn't take thousands, if a good solid group sing it travels.

Meanwhile backing safetsanding and a move to the north stand when that is redeveloped is what we are aiming for.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.