1894 Group: We need a big atmosphere next week v Spurs

I have no doubt that tonights atmosphere will be special.
Liverpool was special until they scored then it felt like a punctured balloon.

However even a goal tonight does not kill us. A 2nd half goal might depending on the scoreline. THe hardest thing tonight will be to play without fear.

Bang average for me means mid-table at best. They're better than that and it smacks of arrogance to say that they're bang average....especially as we trail them 1-0 from the first leg
Clearly they're not bang average domestically but at elite European level they're nothing special. Regardless of the vicissitudes of cup competitions I don't think it's arrogant to imply that a team 16 points behind us in the league are bang average by our own elite standards.

Clearly they're not bang average domestically but at elite European level they're nothing special. Regardless of the vicissitudes of cup competitions I don't think it's arrogant to imply that a team 16 points behind us in the league are bang average by our own elite standards.

What are our own elite European level standards? This is our 8th season in the champions league and we've managed to win 4 knock out stage ties against Dynamo Kyiv, PSG, Basel, and Schalke.

Its very arrogant.

Last edited:

Agree with M18. Spurs are a top 10 side in the World with little to choose between them and Ajax who are also top 10.

You've sort of argued against yourself there saying they are not average domestically but then saying they must be average if they are 16 points behind us domestically.

Spurs are a great team but I don't think they will go through against us as we are a better team no doubt.

What are our own elite European level standards? This is our 8th season in the champions league and we've managed to win 4 knock out stage ties against Dynamo Kyiv, PSG, Basel, and Schalke.

Its very arrogant.
Consistently being in the knockout stages of the CL in addition to consistently winning domestic trophies in one of Europe's strongest leagues makes us an elite team

Agree with M18. Spurs are a top 10 side in the World with little to choose between them and Ajax who are also top 10.

You've sort of argued against yourself there saying they are not average domestically but then saying they must be average if they are 16 points behind us domestically.

Spurs are a great team but I don't think they will go through against us as we are a better team no doubt.
I think you can be a much better than average team domestically while still being some way short of an elite team e.g. spurs, chelsea, arsenal, united

Consistently being in the knockout stages of the CL in addition to consistently winning domestic trophies in one of Europe's strongest leagues makes us an elite team
We've got different views of what makes an elite team clearly. Qualifying from a group that might include the champions of Azerbaijan and the runner up from the Belgian super league wouldn't make you an elite side in my opinion.

If we can beat opposition of the ilk you've described in a meaningful game (Barca and Bayern had nothing at stake when we beat them in the group stages), then we can start to talk about us being an elite side. Until then we've got work to do.

Knock out stages record
11/12 DNQ
12/13 DNQ
13/14 lost to Barca (4-1)
14/15 lost to Barca (3-1)
15/16 beat Kyiv (3-1), beat PSG (3-2), lost to Real (1-0)
16/17 lost to Monaco (on away goals)
17/18 beat Basel (5-2), lost to Liverpool (5-1)
18/19 beat Schalke (10-2), Spurs???

That is piss poor and not representative of an elite side.

We play a vital part tonight as fans. We need to score 3 goals to go through because I think we will concede.

We are unlikely to be comfortable at any stage in the game so need to back the lads as we did against Hamburg. Even with 10 men in that game we had great chances, we lifted the side to those levels and never gave up. Pep has questioned us this week. Against Liverpool we rose to the occasion but we let our heads drop when they equalised and took a while to get going. We need to make home advantage count by going at it regardless of the score during the game. It might be 0-0 in the 90th minute but if we keep singing we might take that chance to take us to extra time.

We expect the players to perform because we have been spoilt by them so often doing just that. We need to back them from the off and lift them. Make spurs feel intimidated. No groans at a poor pass, constant support and singing. If we can create a cracking atmosphere from the first whistle to the final whistle, the players will respond and get the job done.

We had Liverpool rocking last season and in the league this time around. It should have been 2-0 at half time but for poor refereeing. And then we would have been a goal away from turning around a 3-0 deficit. 1-0 down to Spurs is easily surmountable but we have to be the 12th man. Make that home advantage count. Come on City!!!

At elite European level we are nowt special neither. Monaco have been to more CL semis than we have.

Time to change that tonight though!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.