19 | Julian Alvarez - 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
The puzzle with this guy is he is ineffective on too many occasions. A few posters seem to suggest it's the position he finds himself in, which may well be true. I see him more in that 2nd striker role because he can be a real threat. The problem is that doesn't fit in with our team set up too often.

I like Julian Alvarez a lot as a player and I'm an unconditional Pep fan and supporter, but if Pep continues to play Kevin De Bruyne alongside Julian Alvarez we won't win any trophies this year. I was blown away by the fluidity of the team against Copenhagen when Julian wasn't on the pitch. The ball moved much faster, we were unpredictable and more beautiful to watch. Julian should only be lined up on the pitch under two conditions: either as a replacement for KDB, or in place of Erling Haaland, but never ever when those two are on the pitch. He clutters up the midfield more than anything else, and prevents Phil Foden from flourishing by being deployed on the left wing, which is not his position, or Bernardo Silva, whose feet he steps on. I think that Pep is doing coaching by refusing to put a world champion and winner of every possible trophy on the bench, and what's more, this world champion has an irreproachable attitude on the pitch.
Is history repeating itself?

When Barça were marching on Europe, Pep had the idea of bringing in Cesc Fabregas, which seemed like a brilliant idea, and I think all Barça fans were super enthusiastic about the transfer. It was August 2011 and Barça had won the Champions League two months earlier.

Why am I telling you about it? Because the situation is eerily reminiscent of today's, and although Pep is a genius, he can also have very bad ideas and be stubborn. To make room for Fabregas, he shifted Iniesta (the best midfielder in the world at the time) to the left wing. The result was to completely unbalance the midfield and clearly destroy the team. It so destroyed the team that Pep left at the end of the season. Iniesta was quite prodigious on the left wing, but Fabregas, as strong as he was at Arsenal, didn't have what it took to play in Barça's midfield, because he didn't have the ability to turn around that Xavi and Iniesta had, the first touch, the dribbling or even the sense of positioning that the position demanded. He saw it wasn't working, but insisted on playing Fabregas, just as he insists on playing Alvarez in midfield. If he continues, it's going to be a disaster and we're likely to have a lot of unhappy players in the team: Foden, Bernardo, Kovacic and Nunes, who are all better than him in the midfield.

when Pep says Alvarez plays because he deserves too is bit like saying Kovacic, Bernardo, Nunes doesnt deserve to play as a starter.
wonder where Alvarez would play now if we dont lose Gundo. would we bench Doku/Foden to fit him on the wing?

We have so many natural 10s in the team or at least players that qualify as a 10 (KDB, Foden, Nunes, Grealish, Bernardo...) that we see fit to shoehorn an out-and-out striker there.

Is history repeating itself?

When Barça were marching on Europe, Pep had the idea of bringing in Cesc Fabregas, which seemed like a brilliant idea, and I think all Barça fans were super enthusiastic about the transfer. It was August 2011 and Barça had won the Champions League two months earlier.

Why am I telling you about it? Because the situation is eerily reminiscent of today's, and although Pep is a genius, he can also have very bad ideas and be stubborn. To make room for Fabregas, he shifted Iniesta (the best midfielder in the world at the time) to the left wing. The result was to completely unbalance the midfield and clearly destroy the team. It so destroyed the team that Pep left at the end of the season. Iniesta was quite prodigious on the left wing, but Fabregas, as strong as he was at Arsenal, didn't have what it took to play in Barça's midfield, because he didn't have the ability to turn around that Xavi and Iniesta had, the first touch, the dribbling or even the sense of positioning that the position demanded. He saw it wasn't working, but insisted on playing Fabregas, just as he insists on playing Alvarez in midfield. If he continues, it's going to be a disaster and we're likely to have a lot of unhappy players in the team: Foden, Bernardo, Kovacic and Nunes, who are all better than him in the midfield.
Blast from the past. That Fabregas experiment was a disaster.

The days that it seemed like Pep's dream was to play 11 midfielders.

He's a good striker, but his weak first touch isn't suited for our midfield, which deals with constant packed defences and quick pressing, leaving little time to control the ball. He's that easy target to steal from, especially when the ball bounces after his touch!

Horrific touch, can't play the "10" role at all but Pep shoehorns him in there.

No Haaland? Fine, put him up front.

Haaland up front? Alvarez is on the bench
Or put him on wing and put foden in the middle. Seems the most logical system for me.

Foden wasted on wing
Alvarez wasted in middle

Or put him on wing and put foden in the middle. Seems the most logical system for me.

Foden wasted on wing
Alvarez wasted in middle
This is exactly what i've been saying for quite some time, let Foden deal with the central area, and move Alvarez to the right wing, otherwise if we keep playing Foden, KdB and Haaland like this, nothing will really work for either Alvarez or City.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.