1978-79 | The self-implosion of Manchester City

Was at Maine rd for both those matches,the Tues night midweek game for both David White goals partc stands out,the Kippax was bouncing.
Steve Mcmanaman made his debut for Liverpool wearing no.9 upfront and scored their goal with a diving header,Dean Saunders missed a pen
It was all going off.

I'd never seen City beat Liverpool before ,.. after all those heavy defeats in the 70s and 80s (Dalglish turning Caton inside out twice before dispatching past Corrigan at Platt lane -ouch) and who can forget the George Courtney influenced fa cup quarter final at Maine rd when we were 2nd division with a team full of home grown but inexperienced talent and they were the best team in the country...
I was also at Maine road for the 2-1 win Wednesday night August 91,also at Highfield road Saturday before 1-0 win (Quinn) and the Monday night reserve win at Highfield road in between both those games.My first City v Liverpool game was season after promotion 66/67 season won 2-1 our first home match of the campaign.By the way we did beat them a few times in the 70s.

Interesting points you make 're Shilton.
I .as a kid,respected both Clemence and Shilton as the top 2 England keepers,but really really wanted Joe Corrigan to get picked,just because he played for City.i thought ...of the two ..,Shilton was the better keeper,but that was just based on what I saw on MOTD etc rather than live action....
I,m aware that Shilton was obsessed with making himself taller as a young keeper,and also that Clough said he was worth 10 pts a season ,or somethimg like that when they won the Old 1st Division title.

As far as Clemence is concerned,looking back he got a lot of accolades just because he was at Liverpool,he also got a lot protection from some excellent defensive units... over the years at Anfield...Phil Neal Thompson,Hansen Hughes.all excellent defenders of goal..and Liverpool did have that habit of passing the ball along the back four ,one to anothef,back to Clemence ,roll out to the fullback..repeat,esp on away games to run down the clock and numb the vitriol of the home crowd.....

On balance,I still think Shilton was the better keeper,...but i agree that shot he let in at Wembley v Poland was not his finest moment.
I still remember another "Swales out" demo after a shocking defeat vs Southampton (think the score was 2-4 to them) about 86/87.
Anyway as the Southampton players settled down on the coach, we were giving them shit and I'll always remember Shilton who had just dealt a hand of cards to his table, looked up and starred me right in the eyes and mouthed " you're going down" and gesticulated with a downwards thumb.
He's always been a fat short arsed gambling tw#t in my eyes ever since

I still remember another "Swales out" demo after a shocking defeat vs Southampton (think the score was 2-4 to them) about 86/87.
Anyway as the Southampton players settled down on the coach, we were giving them shit and I'll always remember Shilton who had just dealt a hand of cards to his table, looked up and starred me right in the eyes and mouthed " you're going down" and gesticulated with a downwards thumb.
He's always been a fat short arsed gambling tw#t in my eyes ever since
Yes, I think I remember that demo although not Shilton.

From memory, this was the first wave of Swales Out demos which didn't get him out and usually ended with a few thrown bricks and then a police charge. At the same time leaflets were handed out on the Kippax listing his failed promises and cock ups. They were in signed off by a group of concerned season ticket holders.

It's quite amazing in the internet age that the only way supporters could communicate with each other was by going to the expense of printing thousands of leaflets. A year or two later fanzines became the medium but back then you could only write to the paper to rant and maybe get a reply a week later from another fan. My memory fails me here but I'm not even 100% sure the local radio had phone ins.

From memory, this was the first wave of Swales Out demos which didn't get him out and usually ended with a few thrown bricks and then a police charge. At the same time leaflets were handed out on the Kippax listing his failed promises and cock ups. They were in signed off by a group of concerned season ticket holders.

It's quite amazing in the internet age that the only way supporters could communicate with each other was by going to the expense of printing thousands of leaflets. A year or two later fanzines became the medium but back then you could only write to the paper to rant and maybe get a reply a week later from another fan. My memory fails me here but I'm not even 100% sure the local radio had phone ins.
I suppose it was a bit like saying to your mates back then "I'll meet you in the pub at 8".
That would be enough and you'd be there.
Now days you'd probably talk to your mates on the phone whilst on route to the pub to check they were still going and what they'd had for tea

Interesting points you make 're Shilton.
I .as a kid,respected both Clemence and Shilton as the top 2 England keepers,but really really wanted Joe Corrigan to get picked,just because he played for City.i thought ...of the two ..,Shilton was the better keeper,but that was just based on what I saw on MOTD etc rather than live action....
I,m aware that Shilton was obsessed with making himself taller as a young keeper,and also that Clough said he was worth 10 pts a season ,or somethimg like that when they won the Old 1st Division title.

As far as Clemence is concerned,looking back he got a lot of accolades just because he was at Liverpool,he also got a lot protection from some excellent defensive units... over the years at Anfield...Phil Neal Thompson,Hansen Hughes.all excellent defenders of goal..and Liverpool did have that habit of passing the ball along the back four ,one to anothef,back to Clemence ,roll out to the fullback..repeat,esp on away games to run down the clock and numb the vitriol of the home crowd.....

On balance,I still think Shilton was the better keeper,...but i agree that shot he let in at Wembley v Poland was not his finest moment.
In big games, Shilton was found wanting. He was also useless in penalty shoot outs. No doubt he had his best games for Forest around 77-78 when he was brilliant. At international level I thought he was error-prone.

In big games, Shilton was found wanting. He was also useless in penalty shoot outs. No doubt he had his best games for Forest around 77-78 when he was brilliant. At international level I thought he was error-prone.
Fair comment.
I just wanted Big Joe in the nets.tho really I knew He wasn't the best keeper in the country....how could he be? He played for City....
The media said Shilton and Clemence were neck and neck.Ron Greenwood had to choose...he couldn't make his effing mind up and at one stage I'm sure Greenwood 'took it in turns" alternating the two..which was a bit of a cop out...

Brian Clough,if made England manager,would have made his mind up.
Shilton.

I seem to remember a candlelight protest on a night game by ex players and staff they walked on the kippax can’t remember which ex players took part but I can remember Roy Bailey being part of it.

I seem to remember a candlelight protest on a night game by ex players and staff they walked on the kippax can’t remember which ex players took part but I can remember Roy Bailey being part of it.
That one was later I think when Franny was in the wings. 92-93 I think. Oldham is ringing a bell but only a tiny one. Swales tried to ban it as a “fire risk” even though at least half the Kippax were lighting and chain smoking B&Hs all game.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.