1980's Umbro City Shirts

1983/84 Long sleeve home number 14 shirt with white SAAB sponsor, the final season City would use SAAB before switching to PHILIPS.

The first team SAAB shirts were then donated down to the 84/85 Youth team who continued to use the kit with the addition of the new sponsor PHILIPS, simply stitched over the SAAB.

Shirt was a gift from City legend Ken Barnes to a YTS player as a birthday treat.

IMG_5588.jpeg

That first shirt of the 4 was IMHO the best we'd had for a long time, and forever since. Wonderfully simple, and so City. Put the current round badge on it and would be perfection. I still have mine and it gets worn for matches every now and then. It's first outing this season was the Crystal Palace shambles so it's going back into the wardrobe for a while !

That first shirt of the 4 was IMHO the best we'd had for a long time, and forever since. Wonderfully simple, and so City. Put the current round badge on it and would be perfection. I still have mine and it gets worn for matches every now and then. It's first outing this season was the Crystal Palace shambles so it's going back into the wardrobe for a while !
Agreed Bill and was a big fan of Umbro's comeback home shirt which they just kept very City looking and simple desgin

Dennis Tueart 1980 Transatlantic Challenge Cup match worn shirt v AS Roma on 26th May 1980.

Tueart was sent off in the closing stages following a punch-up with Roma players Turone & Spinosi and didn’t get to swap shirts which the majority of players did following the final match of the tournament in New York that the Blues won 3-2 with goals from Steve Daley, Paul Sugrue and Kaziu Deyna.

View attachment 100580
Just seen a rare clip from this game posted on Twitter. Sadly doesn't include the footage of the punch-up, but a good watch anyway. Includes a goal from a young Carlo Ancelotti for them.

I remember when we had umbro kits, umbro did a remake of the 1989/1990 home shirt and sold it online. Honestly, looking back it was only about £25 aswell.
Probably one of my most prized possessions now.

IMG_5296.jpeg

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.