2 | Kyle Walker - 2023/24

He got his contract because of what he gives in the locker room! Pep even mentioned it last week! Personally I liked the back four of all centre backs

Apart from the loss of Gundo and the injuries to Stones and KDB, the name of Walker being the 1st on the sheet ‘every week’ this season has been a big problem.
In the 2nd half of last season we stumbled across in line up who were better without Walker ( albeit stones was available unlike this yea) and Akinji was a better player in the wide right CH roll
Walker also creates absolutely nothing going forward

I really liked the look of Akanji playing there last season. Akanji really suited that role, much more than the current role. Playing RB, he offered us some of Walker's defensive skills and Rico's possession-based abilities. Best of both worlds. I think we need to go back to that.
That formula was very successful last season. We looked solid with Akanji at right back and the results prove that. It seems odd that we gave Walker such a long term deal given he was largely dropped for the second half of last season. Good luck to him but a long term contract was a very debatable decision by the club.

Apart from the loss of Gundo and the injuries to Stones and KDB, the name of Walker being the 1st on the sheet ‘every week’ this season has been a big problem.
In the 2nd half of last season we stumbled across in line up who were better without Walker ( albeit stones was available unlike this yea) and Akinji was a better player in the wide right CH roll
Walker also creates absolutely nothing going forward

Agree but peps backed him now with that new contract!

I'm wrong far more than I'm right with my City takes and football takes in general, but this post of mine is aging like a fine wine right now. It should go without saying, but I'd much rather have been wrong about it.

He's a legend of the club and the English game for that matter. I respect what he's done for City but I'm in the small minority who thought it was the perfect time to move on from him. Or at most give him one more year on his deal. To give him a deal until he's 37 was madness IMO. I'm aware that he's very well-liked within the dressing room but so are a lot of lads, and I don't think we're short of leaders either- the difference is they don't end up in the papers for doing something idiotic every season.

I digress. The main reason I thought it was time to move on is solely in a sporting sense. I just think that for a team that dominates the ball as much as we do, he doesn't contribute in the buildup or attacking third enough. He's good for an overlap every now and then but how often does it lead to something? If he was more or less always brain-fart-free defensively then I could justify him being a nailed-on starter more in my eyes, but he's not. If he were, do you really think Pep would have dropped him for Akanji in arguably the biggest game of his City tenure? I don't.

As for Sunday- I admittedly think Rico Lewis DOES have a future as a fullback and far worse players than him have managed to keep Rashford quiet this season. I'll take that risk and bet on Rico to hold his own versus Rashford while reaping the benefits of more or less another midfielder to help us dominate the middle, and create chances in the attacking third(which we've struggled to do more times than not in the league thus far.

I don't buy into any suggestion he's slowing down, every mistake or poor play I'm seeing from him, it appears to be due to a lack of effort and concentration. TAA level of attempt to stop the cross for their third.

Take the armband off him and tell him to just concentrate on doing what he's in the side to do. He's always been one that gets worse the more he tries to do, im convinced giving him the armband is adding to that.

Agree but peps backed him now with that new contract!
Maybe an error which is bourne out of having Walker as our only decent fullback throughout Pep’s era and beyond ( no 0ffence Zabba but you were done when Pep arrived)

Kyle leaves space while defending. Going backwards and making no attempt. He played 20 games this season and has only 1 yellow card.

Porro was much more aggressive today.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.