2 new wingers

our attacking play this season has been flukey, i cant believe we've scored as many goals as we have without 2 out and out wingers!

we should drop silva and aguero for hollit and ben arfa, some other shit over rated no mark!

what a stupid fucking thread!!!!

bluefromleve32 said:
our attacking play this season has been flukey, i cant believe we've scored as many goals as we have without 2 out and out wingers!

we should drop silva and aguero for hollit and ben arfa, some other shit over rated no mark!

what a stupid fucking thread!!!!
It isn't stupid. Maybe a bit kneejerk, however. I do agree that we could use one new winger when we need to change our game plan. Two new wingers is asking for a bit much in my opinion. I said it in the previous page, sometimes it helps to have a player that can get behind the line and create chances.

Jumanji said:
I've noticed that there are a lot of knee-jerk reactions to our little blip several days ago. Some of the are unfounded, but I quite agree that we really could use another winger. However, we aren't crying out for one. We're beating teams left and right and really do have a competent squad.

I do feel though a new winger (a very good one; not necessarily world class), even a young one with bags of potential would give us another dimension that we will really aid us in the future.

There are some times in football, even for traditionally posession-heavy build up teams like Arsenal and Barcelona, sometimes it really helps to have a bit of directness. A pacy, skillfull, and direct winger would get past a fullback with the ball and contributing in the final third with: crosses, passes in the penalty area, and shots on goal.

Take a look at teams like United and Madrid. Although their playing style is quite different from ours (they move the ball quickly through the wings primarily), when teams sit back and defend against them, they fall into a trap. Why? Because if you already don't have the ball and you're sitting back, if a winger can get in behind the defensive line multiple times, then chances are if you have quality on your team, you can capitalise on this and score a goal.

I think Mancini realises the need for an out and out winger that can consistently beat a man is evidenced by his dogged pursuit of Alexis Sanchez which proved to be futile.

We have our way of playing, yes, but we also need a Plan B; a player that can change things dramatically. Specifically, a real winger, not just another quality pair of fresh legs to come in the game because we have plenty of that.

Johnno is supposed to be that spark, but is really hot and cold. Remember last year? Mancini said: "After Adam Johnson got injured we had a big problem because he is different to the other players. We don't have anyone else like that but he won't be back for another month."

I think Bobby knows we could use a winger. Contrary to the OP, I think we only need one though.

There are plenty of quality wingers to pick from:
Experienced: Lavezzi, etc
Young: Hazard, Hoillet, Reus, etc

I just hope that when Tevez is sold, we buy someone.

I would love to see Hoillet in Blue :)

MAXXI said:
Jumanji said:
I've noticed that there are a lot of knee-jerk reactions to our little blip several days ago. Some of the are unfounded, but I quite agree that we really could use another winger. However, we aren't crying out for one. We're beating teams left and right and really do have a competent squad.

I do feel though a new winger (a very good one; not necessarily world class), even a young one with bags of potential would give us another dimension that we will really aid us in the future.

There are some times in football, even for traditionally posession-heavy build up teams like Arsenal and Barcelona, sometimes it really helps to have a bit of directness. A pacy, skillfull, and direct winger would get past a fullback with the ball and contributing in the final third with: crosses, passes in the penalty area, and shots on goal.

Take a look at teams like United and Madrid. Although their playing style is quite different from ours (they move the ball quickly through the wings primarily), when teams sit back and defend against them, they fall into a trap. Why? Because if you already don't have the ball and you're sitting back, if a winger can get in behind the defensive line multiple times, then chances are if you have quality on your team, you can capitalise on this and score a goal.

I think Mancini realises the need for an out and out winger that can consistently beat a man is evidenced by his dogged pursuit of Alexis Sanchez which proved to be futile.

We have our way of playing, yes, but we also need a Plan B; a player that can change things dramatically. Specifically, a real winger, not just another quality pair of fresh legs to come in the game because we have plenty of that.

Johnno is supposed to be that spark, but is really hot and cold. Remember last year? Mancini said: "After Adam Johnson got injured we had a big problem because he is different to the other players. We don't have anyone else like that but he won't be back for another month."

I think Bobby knows we could use a winger. Contrary to the OP, I think we only need one though.

There are plenty of quality wingers to pick from:
Experienced: Lavezzi, etc
Young: Hazard, Hoillet, Reus, etc

I just hope that when Tevez is sold, we buy someone.

I would love to see Hoillet in Blue :)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddAvft67RtA[/youtube]

franksinatra said:
gerrygowsjockstrap said:
Watching City this season I cannot fault them going forward. But I have said all season we need a couple of class wingers. All we have is Johnson who I've heard time after time he is not good enough. If we want to be top dogs. Then I have to agree with this. Nasri can play out wide but has not done enough to impress me. I believe we will win the Prem this season. But we need a couple of players to take some of the weight off Silva's shoulders. We rely on him to much. Them players I believe we need are wide men. A lot of the time we play narrow. Especially when Richards is not playing. That says it all he is a right back.

We wont get two top class wingers because that is not the way we play and two top class players will not settle for small cameo roles. Furthermore what would the point in losing Johnson to bring another player in, particularly as Johnson has proven very effective in cameo roles and scored a number of valuable goals.

Its not by chance Richards provides the width. Nasri and Silva regularly go in narrow allowing the full backs to overlap. Its a tactic to allow us to dominate the opposition, which we do very effectively.

The system works (were top scorers) and today was the first time we have drawn a blank, although the misses by Silva and Aguero could easily have changed that.

Exactly, no need to panic just yet.

franksinatra said:
gerrygowsjockstrap said:
Watching City this season I cannot fault them going forward. But I have said all season we need a couple of class wingers. All we have is Johnson who I've heard time after time he is not good enough. If we want to be top dogs. Then I have to agree with this. Nasri can play out wide but has not done enough to impress me. I believe we will win the Prem this season. But we need a couple of players to take some of the weight off Silva's shoulders. We rely on him to much. Them players I believe we need are wide men. A lot of the time we play narrow. Especially when Richards is not playing. That says it all he is a right back.

We wont get two top class wingers because that is not the way we play and two top class players will not settle for small cameo roles. Furthermore what would the point in losing Johnson to bring another player in, particularly as Johnson has proven very effective in cameo roles and scored a number of valuable goals.

Its not by chance Richards provides the width. Nasri and Silva regularly go in narrow allowing the full backs to overlap. Its a tactic to allow us to dominate the opposition, which we do very effectively.

The system works (were top scorers) and today was the first time we have drawn a blank, although the misses by Silva and Aguero could easily have changed that.
Wrong. Wingers can be AND are used in our system. Example: Balo. Not at all a traditional winger but Mancini likes to use forwards like him because he can cut inside and beat a man LIKE a winger if he receives the ball from a wide position. Do you think an apt winger is not capable of effective, possession heavy build up play? Laughable. Furthermore, Mancini has always used inverted (is that the word?) wingers to beat a man, cut in and let shoot on their strong foot. (Johnson. Balo and Aguero from wide positions though not real wingers)

Sometimes it's not just about width, which is primarily the job of our fullbacks, wingers are adept at getting behind the line on their own which is always helpful when things aren't working. This is why every team has wingers.

-I've said it before, there's a reason why Mancini really wanted Sanchez. I won't even explain as I think its pretty obvious. He would have given us a different dimension to our game.

-There's a reason why Mancini wanted Cerci a LOT....

There's a reason why Bobby whinged when Adam was injured last year and we had no one dynamic enough like him to really change a game.

I do think signing 2 wingers is a bit ridiculous. Regarding your point on losing Johnson, we don't have to lose him to accomodate 1 winger. Not to mention, there are no sentiments in football. If a player is better than Johnson and gets more games, then that's just a reality...

Since we keep most teams pinned in their box pacey winger's don't offer much tactically, it's a nice option to have but hardly a real concern

smiles said:
Since we keep most teams pinned in their box pacey winger's don't offer much tactically, it's a nice option to have but hardly a real concern
Wingers are just normal forwards (the good ones), except they are very effective at attacking defenders. Only Aguero is dangerous at that and Johnson on his day.

When stubborn defenses won't unlock, you're more likely to score from a winger than passing the ball in the net.

Even if a team is pinned back, you can use a winger effectively... That's why they are prized. They can accelerate and really capitalise on the first few metres they need to create something. Also, most teams don't really drop their defensive line INTO the box (so theres plenty of place to be exploited) unless a player gets passed one of the defenders.

Heck, even Barcelona knows that a little bit of directness never hurt anyone. In fact, Messi and Sanchez are so good at being direct and attacking players that this guy hardly gets a sniff anymore:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GX4e0px_sn4[/youtube]

I'll end my post by reminding: Mancini: "I think Dzeko maybe needs wingers, some crosses"

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.